I think most of them had gone before Sheridan left. Presumably he had adequate replacements lined up,or was that part of the problem causing him to leave?

He officially left on May 27th. Perhaps two weeks after most retained lists had been published. We all know the move was discussed for weeks, with Bolton and Sheff Weds as red herrings along the way.

And if someone offered to double your salary, would you take it?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He officially left on May 27th. Perhaps two weeks after most retained lists had been published. We all know the move was discussed for weeks, with Bolton and Sheff Weds as red herrings along the way.

And if someone offered to double your salary, would you take it?

True, yes on the rare occasions when someone has offered to double my salary I have taken it every time

I remember a thread on here about this season's squad versus last season's - and a lot were saying this one was better. Some were also waxing lyrical about the exciting potential of Erwin, Mckay, Flynn etc. - and at that time I probably agreed.

What has happened since then - and I am at a loss as to how people can't see this - is that the genuine early potential of several players has evaporated. Now, if it was there - and we mostly agreed it generally was - what has been the main influencing factor on those players and their level of performance? Is it the Chairman? Is it the fans? Is it the tea lady? No, clearly not - it's been the manager and his assistants. Every single player, bar Ripley and Clarke, has regressed as time has gone by under the influence of the management team. They do not know what they are doing.

Robbo has one mantra - work ethic - I`m sick of hearing it (see his latest official update on Latics' website) - it is not winning us any football matches. If ever there has been a management team capable of "coaching out" talent - we have found the dream team.

Perhaps this single minded "work ethic" mantra (summed up perfectly in his pathetic "be the best team out of possession" poster) also explains why we look utterly knackered after 75 mins of every game.

I think we're at a point where nobody is going to accuse you of being too harsh on The Chairman.

This was obvious. It was about cash in pocket. People saying otherwise are apologists and naive in the extreme.

It was about not being willing to pay the going rate for a decent manager. And asking him to go when the approach came in, to get a compensation payment.

It was about not being willing to pay the going rate for a decent manager. And asking him to go when the approach came in, to get a compensation payment.

He'd agreed a contract, he then left for more money. He presumably signed to Latics for a salary he was happy with? If he didn't think it was "the going rate'" why did he sign?

People really need to stop looking at Shez like he is some kind of noble gent who loves us dearly. He is a bloke from Salford trying to make as much money for his family as possible. Nothing wrong with that but stop trying to blame other people for him leaving. It was his doing, his choice and he went for more cash in his pocket.

I remember a thread on here about this season's squad versus last season's - and a lot were saying this one was better. Some were also waxing lyrical about the exciting potential of Erwin, Mckay, Flynn etc. - and at that time I probably agreed.

What has happened since then - and I am at a loss as to how people can't see this - is that the genuine early potential of several players has evaporated. Now, if it was there - and we mostly agreed it generally was - what has been the main influencing factor on those players and their level of performance? Is it the Chairman? Is it the fans? Is it the tea lady? No, clearly not - it's been the manager and his assistants. Every single player, bar Ripley and Clarke, has regressed as time has gone by under the influence of the management team. They do not know what they are doing.

Robbo has one mantra - work ethic - I`m sick of hearing it (see his latest official update on Latics' website) - it is not winning us any football matches. If ever there has been a management team capable of "coaching out" talent - we have found the dream team.

Perhaps this single minded "work ethic" mantra (summed up perfectly in his pathetic "be the best team out of possession" poster) also explains why we look utterly knackered after 75 mins of every game.

The Chairman has to take some if the blame for gambling on first-time managers with almost every appointment. That approach will fail more often than not. Things seemed to be on the up under Sheridan last season - Corney should have done what was necessary to keep him.

That said, Robinson's clearly a wrong 'un as far as management goes and is far from blameless.

He'd agreed a contract, he then left for more money. He presumably signed to Latics for a salary he was happy with? If he didn't think it was "the going rate'" why did he sign?

People really need to stop looking at Shez like he is some kind of noble gent who loves us dearly. He is a bloke from Salford trying to make as much money for his family as possible. Nothing wrong with that but stop trying to blame other people for him leaving. It was his doing, his choice and he went for more cash in his pocket.

He must agonise at times if money means more than happiness.

He loves us so much he could easily have came out and said the clubs in the :censored:ter so he's leaving instead of chatting to some fellow drunk at the Championship play-offs.

He loves us so much he could easily have came out and said the clubs in the :censored:ter so he's leaving instead of chatting to some fellow drunk at the Championship play-offs.

He could. When players and managers thump their chests these days its best to ignore it. Almost without exception they are in it for themselves.

Half of this years problem is Sheridan did do the retained list about a week or so before he left. Released players that would have done a job, then took Forte with him.

Good point well made but, in many people's eyes, it's still Corney's fault that those players were released. Don't get me wrong, SC has dropped some right clangers, but don't ever try to convince me that he picks the team, decides the tactics, makes the substitutions etc. He doesn't. SR does and he's not making a very good job of it.

I'm torn if I'm honest. I feel sorry for SR having to start from scratch virtually on the eve of the season, but he should be able to do more with the players he's got plus a few of the kids to replace those that are bobbins, a la Reckord and Ladapo as an example. Trouble is, I'm not sure anyone else could get this lot performing in time to get us to safety. If we lose tomorrow, it becomes a big ask. String two or three wins together and it looks a bit rosier.

Plus, I do not believe (and I have good reason to believe that this is the case) that SC waited until the last minute to get a manager in. He expected someone in place some weeks before. I wonder what would have happened in Evans had taken the job after identifying players he wanted to bring in. Had it been someone other than SR with a different and, with any luck, better set of players that had us in mid-table by now, how many would be calling for SC's head as the creator of all things evil? Hypothetical I know, but I just wondered.

Edited by Bristolatic

I understood from what was said last summer that Corney wanted to release players because wages were falling and he thought he could get cheaper replacements. Now I'm sure he has managed that but unfortunately they are either not good enough or had their ability stifled by the way they are being asked to play i.e. if you replaced McKay with Billy Sharpe he might have scored a few but I doubt if he would have bagged 16.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow.

Guest nonaenever

I think we're at a point where nobody is going to accuse you of being too harsh on The Chairman.

The below is quoted from a post I made on 1st October :-

"As for the manager, I`m not one for constantly chopping and changing but guess what? You've appointed another duffer! Clueless, utterly clueless. We are so predictable, so slow, lack passion, lack skill, lack ideas and lack goals. At this rate we'll score about 20 goals all season - Mr Robinson, you're a joke - I couldn't give a damn about your so-called international credentials - without doubt, you will take the Latics down - any team that can only muster 5 goals (and one of them an own goal) in 11 league games are relegation certainties.

Simon Corney - I`ve backed you most of the time but, seriously, GET A GRIP before it's too late. The whole place needs a root and branch review."

​The Chairman does not escape my criticism - but at the risk of repeating myself, we are in a position to influence the manager's position far more than we are the Chairman's. If you want to see us relegated under Mr Robinson - fair enough - I don't.

"As for the manager, I`m not one for constantly chopping and changing but guess what? You've appointed another duffer! Clueless, utterly clueless. We are so predictable, so slow, lack passion, lack skill, lack ideas and lack goals. At this rate we'll score about 20 goals all season - Mr Robinson, you're a joke - I couldn't give a damn about your so-called international credentials - without doubt, you will take the Latics down - any team that can only muster 5 goals (and one of them an own goal) in 11 league games are relegation certainties.

Simon Corney - I`ve backed you most of the time but, seriously, GET A GRIP before it's too late. The whole place needs a root and branch review."

​The Chairman does not escape my criticism - but at the risk of repeating myself, we are in a position to influence the manager's position far more than we are the Chairman's. If you want to see us relegated under Mr Robinson - fair enough - I don't.

Not sure that's quite what anyone is saying.

You've seen something in my posts that suggests I'm liking the current football? I go to the same games as most on here. It's :censored:. Bull:censored: doesn't smell sweeter though.