Positivity

Let's assume we go down; yes I know, this isn't the thread for that but bear with me (and anyway, find me a thread that hasn't been hijacked...)

Would we be better off having assembled a revamped squad now on longer term contracts than the usual five minutes or just starting again from scratch in the summer. And by better off I mean in all aspects, financial included.

I ask because if, say, we lose the next couple of matches after which we could be double figure points adrift of safety might there be a temptation for the powers that be to conclude that we may as well face reality and assume we will be in League 2 at the start of next season and act accordingly?

Saturday might have just focused a few minds in the boardroom, I think we'll see another 3-4 incomings by next week.

You've got to imagine that Shez will have been looking at similar players at Notts County to the ones he'll be eyeing up here, given their budget compared to ours.

You've also got to think that he'd feel hard done by if he'd not have got the chance to sign his own targets...

Edited by NewBlue

Let's assume we go down; yes I know, this isn't the thread for that but bear with me (and anyway, find me a thread that hasn't been hijacked...)

Would we be better off having assembled a revamped squad now on longer term contracts than the usual five minutes or just starting again from scratch in the summer. And by better off I mean in all aspects, financial included.

I ask because if, say, we lose the next couple of matches after which we could be double figure points adrift of safety might there be a temptation for the powers that be to conclude that we may as well face reality and assume we will be in League 2 at the start of next season and act accordingly?

While the lack of continuity is a massive problem, the aim right now should be to stay up and we should sign players with that in mind.

Get to the summer and then start looking long term.

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over Saturday's defeat. I think it being a six-pointer has knocked the stuffing out of people a little but we did at least win last weekend. Sheridan's really had no time at all to try and improve things and the next week will dictate what the squad is going to look like for the rest of the season. It can't be any worse than it was up to this point, so might as well just settle in and get on with it.

What disappointed me about Saturday was that there was no real difference to our attack. 1 shot on target in 90+ minutes.

Sheridan has to find players who will attack the opposition penalty area and have a go.

Question: Have we had a penalty this season?

What disappointed me about Saturday was that there was no real difference to our attack. 1 shot on target in 90+ minutes.

Sheridan has to find players who will attack the opposition penalty area and have a go.

I was thinking this the other day. I don't think so, as I don't even know who our penalty taker is.

Watching Latics this season, the lack of willingness across the team to get forward in numbers with any pace is a big factor in not scoring many goals / not conceding many.

Often, you see no support from midfield or full backs to the opportunities we get to get the ball in or around the box on the break.

This is something that doesn't necessarily mean we need to change the players, just their attitudes and approaches. More time with the manager and potentially a new coach (if the TW story is true) could help significantly.

Penalties are given for incidents that happen inside the box ,

given that we only ever have 1 player , sometimes 2 on slow build up attacks , inside their box at any time then the chances of a penalty incident are extremely remote !!!!!!

What odds going full season without one?

Edited by losesome

Watching Latics this season, the lack of willingness across the team to get forward in numbers with any pace is a big factor in not scoring many goals / not conceding many.

Often, you see no support from midfield or full backs to the opportunities we get to get the ball in or around the box on the break.

This is something that doesn't necessarily mean we need to change the players, just their attitudes and approaches. More time with the manager and potentially a new coach (if the TW story is true) could help significantly.

John Sheridan post Shrewsbury: “I’ve seen why the team haven’t been scoring goals because we didn’t hold the ball up, we didn’t keep the ball well enough and we didn’t disturb them, it was too easy."

Sheridan needs 4 new players minimum as starters. They all also have to be decent from the off or we are down. That's a positive proposal.

When SR was asked in an interview about the budget, he said that some money had been kept back for January, because they knew that changes would have to be made.

If I'm not mistaken, 4 players have left who were being paid by the club and 2 loanees. 3 have been signed (I suspect Ngoo won't be on much money). When Shez was asked after the game about money being available for new signings he said "no" other players would have to be let go. I can understand Gerrard and Holloway taking all the money from players released, but where is the remaining budget which was kept back?

I'm positive we needed to sign a defender and we did.

I'm positive we needed to sign a striker and we signed two.

I'm positive that if our strikers had converted more of the chances that were created we wouldn't now be six points off safety. I'm sure we could come up with half a dozen possibly a dozen very good chances where it was more difficult to miss than score but miss they did.

So I'm positive we could, might just scrape through with what we now have although most likely we would still be finally relegated if we lose the Rochdale game.

Guest nonaenever

When the Chairman emailed about the questions session tomorrow, he said he was busy trying to get a couple of players signed in time for the game - that's very positive :sign0173: