Clarke signs 2.5 year deal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Clarke wouldn't be here cos we'd have sold him. In fact, I'm not ruling that out regardless of league next season.

If we go down then perhaps.

But unless there's a buy out clause for a pittance (not sure why there would be for a 35 year old), we've made it pretty uneconomical for a club to buy him. No one really wants to buy 35 year olds, who are tied to two-three year contracts. It doesn't offer value.

Great news on Clarke , 

Think Ripley will depend on how boro do this season . If they get relegated there is every chance we could have him for next season but if they stay up i would think they would want him to try the championship.

41 minutes ago, losesome said:

Great news on Clarke , 

Think Ripley will depend on how boro do this season . If they get relegated there is every chance we could have him for next season but if they stay up i would think they would want him to try the championship.

If they're in the championship they'd want him to play in the championship, but not for them?

4 hours ago, losesome said:

Great news on Clarke , 

Who'll be Boro's keeper if they go down?

Guzan is going back to the States in the summer, he's already signed with a club, and they won't be keeping Valdes if they do go down on the wages he'll be on.

I don't think we've got a chance of keeping Ripley for next season, but if we did it'll be if Boro stay up, not go down. 

If Boro do go down, I'd be very surprised if we wasn't given a chance as their first choice keeper. Both Valdes and Guzan will be gone, and they'll have the EFL League One's best goalkeeper to call up on for no fee whatsoever.

If they go down, they should try him in their own team for the reasons others have already given.

If they stay up, they'll loan him out again. But I would guess to a Championship team - they already know he's good at this level, now it's in his (and their) interest to test him at a higher level.

Edited by Crusoe

4 minutes ago, lalalajpkalala said:

2017/18 squad

Happy to be corrected, but I think the following are now tied down for at least another year.

Contracted:

Banks

Clarke

Dummigan

Fane

Flynn

Gerrard

Holloway

Option:

McLaughlin

At the beginning of the season if I knew we'd retain/have them for next season I'd think we'd have 7 or 8 starters, which is excellent for our standards. That being said, Flynn, Dummigan and Banks have disappointed, while Shez clearly isn't the biggest Fane fan, even though I think he'd do a cracking job in a three man midfield. Add Tope to that, who's been surprisingly very good, Brian Wilson and hopefully Green, whose been resurgent under Shez, and we've got a very good basis. I think them three will realistically not get anything better than us.

X

Wilson - Clarke - Gerrard - X

X - Fane - Green 

McL - Holloway - Tope

Subs: Flynn, Dummigan, Banks

34 minutes ago, lalalajpkalala said:

2017/18 squad

Happy to be corrected, but I think the following are now tied down for at least another year.

Contracted:

Banks

Clarke

Dummigan

Fane

Flynn

Gerrard

Holloway

Option:

McLaughlin

Plus options on Law, Mantack and Stott, should we want to exercise them.

Just remembered that Shez said he wasnt interested in retaining or signing anyone until we knew where we were palying next season. Just a thought, although I am really chuffed hes signed for next season and beyond

Edited by andy_b_100