It's going to be missed...might have not been as good as it was in the end but you knew it was there.

my elderly parents always checked the births/deaths bit just in case a distance relative/ lost friend had passed away and details of the funeral so they could go

or to check of any cases in court in case it was on our street. Thursday was the jobs pages too

its a shame

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Morning Tracy my late dad used to check Latics first, then Deaths to see if he was still alive lol , quick check of front page and if it was Thursday the houses, Friday motoring. The local newsagent long gone who charged us per item rather than per delivery way over odds for delivery and so we stopped buying it unless something special in news.  Feel for the elderly readership not internet linked who kept in touch with local stuff as know in mum in laws case it meant she had someone else to speak to each day and stuff to to think about.  Failed by regular price increases in recent years and lost a lot of readers around the riots as perceived to have not reported the facts costs missing the pile it high sell them cheap. Advertising wasnt exactly cheap either. In age of smart phones will be almost impossible to sell. 

Had many happy memories of Green Final from Bill English or Thomas newsagent in Shaw as a kid when final score was often in the stop press used to collect from driver to beat the long queue in shop as you got the first copy. Pretty sad but most people knew the van route so could bag a copy elsewhere if for some reason sold out. A very changed World but still moaning bastards complaining the van was late (in two foot of snow) 

Mondays headline would have been "Latics up and running" A 4-2 win lets face it Wilson always lets 2 in. 

Morning...lovely memories there...please don't tell me the newsagent was "just around the corner...." Hehe..

On 9/1/2017 at 7:09 AM, opinions4u said:

I bet there's a part of Matt Chambers mighty relieved he doesn't have to watch our shower of shit again!

Haha. He must be a glutton for punishment. He said he'll be at the game today.

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It was where a "group of experts" (what a job that must have been) decided it was most likely to be.

It would have been easier last season as you could usually rule out the ball being in the opposition goal area.

Edited by BP1960

Shame that we've lost something so local and probably a paper we've all read, delivered or even been in - if not all 3!

so here goes, how many of us can rememeber featuring in it? could be anything, even some dodgy court appearance ha ha .. 

moi! .. a few times, once at junior school, a couple of times as a member of Royton ATC and more recently as i was the first person in the queue for Liverpool FA Cup tickets (I'd just finsihed a night shift so why not I thought!!) ..

anyone want to add to the mix?

Edited by thetramfixer

2 hours ago, thetramfixer said:

Shame that we've lost something so local and probably a paper we've all read, delivered or even been in - if not all 3!

so here goes, how many of us can rememeber featuring in it? could be anything, even some dodgy court appearance ha ha .. 

moi! .. a few times, once at junior school, a couple of times as a member of Royton ATC and more recently as i was the first person in the queue for Liverpool FA Cup tickets (I'd just finsihed a night shift so why not I thought!!) ..

anyone want to add to the mix?

Got the Chron to highlight some local issues in my area, won't be able to call on the local press anymore to hold the powers that be to account. 

Guess I'll have to pester them on Twitter now.

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, thetramfixer said:

I've had a few letters, including one or two on Latics, published. The only other time was in the background of a work-related photograph. 

A couple of scary photos of me in a school team, odd letter to the chron over the disastrous beal valley golf course, couple of bits for some charity work, recent stuff on Trust events and a not so bad photo of me all glammed up with the rest of my works team when the OEC centre opened up at Xmas time for our works bash.

aww I'm going to miss it

3 minutes ago, underdog said:

...and a not so bad photo of me all glammed up with the rest of my works team when the OEC centre opened up at Xmas time for our works bash.

is that the one where all the 'ladies' have a pint in front of them? ha ha ha

ain't oldham great! .. just not so much without our 'chron'

Martyn Torr did a piece on my new startup Web and Graphic design business in the mid 90s. The photo captured the first time I had worn a tie since my wedding some 10 years earlier; In fact, i think that it was the same one as it still had a bit of cake stuck in the tucky in bit.

Other than that, i am on the infamous 3rd div championship reception photo sporting a purple striped tank top knitted by my mother.

She always reminds me that she knitted it, so I guess that i will let mum have that particular 15 minutes.

On 01/09/2017 at 7:12 AM, Dave_Og said:

The Pink was the MEN.  The Green however, much missed.

The pink was my Saturday night bible hours spent reading it even sneak it into Church with me.

Think Sheffield Green un maybe the only one left but those places that sell them and Oldham are in town still quick to grab one 

Edited by Forte_Baby

The only two times I made the Chron was, first, when I received a conditional discharge after appearing in court for riding pillion on my mate's motor bike. He only had a provisional licence, I didn't have one at all. I was 15 years old. 

The second time, I almost collapsed during an am dram production at some place in Royton. Ruptured appendix. The piece in the Chron was titled "He played on despite the pain." I was in hospital next morning. I was 17.

Come to think of it, neither are a great claim to fame.

Edited by Bristolatic

2 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Really missed the chron website, views,comments and match report this week ... saw the MEN report but it's not the same :(

I know what you mean but let's be real, it's been the same shit for 20 years just google an old match report and change the names and dates :unsure: