Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

If he thinks the incumbents are not up to scratch then he is entitled to get rid. Are you saying Latics was run and staffed by amazing individuals over the last 10 years?  All I’ve read on this forum forever is how terrible every aspect of the club was. 

I'd be concerned that when you've a lot of people getting sacked - and volunteers unhappy with the way employees are being treated - it's a volatile situation in which lawyers are the only winners... 

I think taking Simon Brooke on then ditching him six weeks later is a worrying turn of events that only increases my fears that AL is volatile, and prone to swinging the axe without thinking things through properly.

I don't think he's thought many of his actions through properly - and that includes the action of taking over the club in the first place. 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Why does he?  Explain.

Because if he wanted a full clear out it would have been better done before the season started

We appear to be without a Chief Executive

Or any other properly experienced staff

Ticketing appears to be a bit of a shambles

Season tickets were printed later than was expected

The special offer that went with the above is late

The catering remains a shambles

The price cut for home games barely registered any publicity

Our best player by general consensus is suspended

One of our most experience players may or may not have been fired

Wages probably weren't paid on time to everybody

Take your pick really.  It doesn't exactly smack of efficiency, organisation and control

25 minutes ago, Ryan said:

You were similarly defensive of Corney. Look how that one turned out. You do realise that the football club and the majority shareholder aren’t synonymous, don’t you? You can love Oldham Athletic without having to defend every bonkers decision that is made at boardroom level.

I didn’t defend Corney over everything. I just didn’t buy in to every bar shit crazy rumour. Some of which were proven to be bullshit.  But yes, Corney and all the staff ultimately presided over a dogs breakfast, but now we are surprised AL is ‘draining the swamp’??  

So do you think AL is incompetent or has bad intentions?  Because it has to be one or the other for your stance. 

The problems at the club like any failing business come back to back bad leadership. It was hardly the fault of the back office staff that they were never paid on time. Any decent staff wouldnt have put up with it and walked anyway. If they werent good enough at their job its probably because they couldnt attract better staff. 

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

The problems at the club like any failing business come back to back bad leadership. It was hardly the fault of the back office staff that they were never paid on time. Any decent staff wouldnt have put up with it and walked anyway. If they werent good enough at their job its probably because they couldnt attract better staff. 

Perhaps, but I’m not sure that matters now. If they aren’t good enough, they should go. 

28 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I didn’t defend Corney over everything. I just didn’t buy in to every bar shit crazy rumour. Some of which were proven to be bullshit.  But yes, Corney and all the staff ultimately presided over a dogs breakfast, but now we are surprised AL is ‘draining the swamp’??  

So do you think AL is incompetent or has bad intentions?  Because it has to be one or the other for your stance. 

I don’t think AL has bad intentions to be honest, although it remains unclear given we’re only months into his tenure. He’s put his own money into the club unlike Corney who siphoned every last penny out into his own back pocket which counts for something in my eyes. However, the current turnover of staff suggests he’s a trigger happy loon. There’s also less information coming out than ever before, the club STILL haven’t confirmed whether Anthony Gerrard has been sacked for example.

I can’t quite make up my mind as to what I think about AL to be honest. He forced Barry to resign only to take his advice weeks later on a crucial managerial appointment, tempted Brooke off the Trust only to sack him almost immediately after etc... The whole saga is just very odd.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Because if he wanted a full clear out it would have been better done before the season started

We appear to be without a Chief Executive

Or any other properly experienced staff

Ticketing appears to be a bit of a shambles

Season tickets were printed later than was expected

The special offer that went with the above is late

The catering remains a shambles

The price cut for home games barely registered any publicity

Our best player by general consensus is suspended

One of our most experience players may or may not have been fired

Wages probably weren't paid on time to everybody

Take your pick really.  It doesn't exactly smack of efficiency, organisation and control

Ticketing a shambles?

ST printed on time for first home game amazing how you can 2 views on something. 

Offer of scarf was late? Where did it say you picked them up at the same time? 

Lets face it What income does the club bring in the close season now corney and co have rinsed us dry? ST nothing else. We should have money from OEC, businesses paying us rent; yet all of that goes to corney and co. AL has already said he isn’t going to throw money at it and we will need to live within our means. About time fans like yourself Dave realised what division we are in thanks to 14 years of shocking ownership. Staff didn’t mind corneys ownership despite being paid late most months. Clearly they liked his ownership despite it being shocking to say the least. 

Can I just say my dealings with the ticket office in the past week have been very satisfactory and the ladies manning it have gone above and beyond, not seen any of them in there before so hats off to them for that in what I suspect will of been a manic week for them.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can I just say my dealings with the ticket office in the past week have been very satisfactory and the ladies manning it have gone above and beyond, not seen any of them in there before so hats off to them for that in what I suspect will of been a manic week for them.

The staff in there have been part time people wanting to help the club when they don’t need to and also AL’ s wife has been in there doing bits a pieces. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan said:

unlike Corney who siphoned every last penny out into his own back pocket. Not sure you or anyone else have any proof of this. 

However, the current turnover of staff suggests he’s a trigger happy loon. It's not like a revolving door. He's got rid of the originals and replacing them.

There’s also less information coming out than ever before, Good because previously every inside working of the club leaked out when it definitely shouldnt. You hear what you need to hear

the club STILL haven’t confirmed whether Anthony Gerrard has been sacked for example. why would they if the process is on going. Appeal etc

16 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Ticketing a shambles?

ST printed on time for first home game amazing how you can 2 views on something. 

Offer of scarf was late? Where did it say you picked them up at the same time? 

Lets face it What income does the club bring in the close season now corney and co have rinsed us dry? ST nothing else. We should have money from OEC, businesses paying us rent; yet all of that goes to corney and co. AL has already said he isn’t going to throw money at it and we will need to live within our means. About time fans like yourself Dave realised what division we are in thanks to 14 years of shocking ownership. Staff didn’t mind corneys ownership despite being paid late most months. Clearly they liked his ownership despite it being shocking to say the least. 

I think you have spectacularly missed my point Adam

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think you have spectacularly missed my point Adam

Can assure you I haven’t. Just responding to several comments you’ve made and put another stance on them. Out of interest how do you feel about the corney years? 

5 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Can assure you I haven’t. Just responding to several comments you’ve made and put another stance on them. Out of interest how do you feel about the corney years? 

Can not possibly comment on AL’s wealth plans, toilet habits or anything else.

I genuinely would not blame the guy if he pulled out tomorrow.

this football club has been managed like a circus at best - mismanaged criminally since 2009 at worse.

AL is being absolutely slated from every corner by the majority who wanted Corney out - I don’t know why he’s sacking everyone but when is one who can’t even spell on the club website (a basic requirement in corporate comms) is it such a bad thing? Give the guy a chance - if we are bottom 2 at Christmas I’ll jump in with in with you but Corney’s little videos spun us a line for years he left us deep in the shit and AL at least is trying to dig us out of it!!

24 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It’s true fluffy, sorry. Your hero was a crook.

Not a revolving door? What’s happened with Brooke then?

They aren’t leaking the tactics or secrets of the boardroom, are they? Imagine thinking it’s acceptable to fire someone for daring to speak out to their close friends and family about mistreatment/non-payment of wages by their employer. It’s being run like a dictatorship to scare staff into silence, speak out and you will lose your livelihood. Unacceptable. Do you honestly think a volunteer who loves the club like Alan Howarth is taking a stance like this easily? Clearly staff are being treated like shite. 

These things are often announced ‘pending appeal’ etc... Why not announce Byrne’s suspension?

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

They aren’t leaking the tactics or secrets of the boardroom, are they? Imagine thinking it’s acceptable to fire someone for daring to speak out to their close friends and family about mistreatment/non-payment of wages by their employer. It’s being run like a dictatorship to scare staff into silence, speak out and you will lose your livelihood. Unacceptable. Do you honestly think a volunteer who loves the club like Alan Howarth is taking a stance like this easily? Clearly staff are being treated like shite. 

These things are often announced ‘pending appeal’ etc... Why not announce Byrne’s suspension?

I think you will find most companies have policies about disclosing anything about said company that paints them in a negative light (whether justified or not) mine does - including its social media policy and we are a fantastic company to work for 

and no I didn’t add the last line to satisfy the policy 

Because everything that happens in the football world doesn’t need to be aired in public. Non of our business until the person is sacked or back in the squad. Should be a tight unit and people shouldn’t be leaking things out which happened far too much under corney it’s a business not a youth club. 

1 minute ago, adamoafc said:

Because everything that happens in the football world doesn’t need to be aired in public. Non of our business until the person is sacked or back in the squad. Should be a tight unit and people shouldn’t be leaking things out which happened far too much under corney it’s a business not a youth club. 

You don’t think the fans deserve to know when the best player at the club has been suspended? I’m not asking for the fine details that led up to them coming to that decision. It sounds better coming from the club than ITK fans or journalists - the silence is deafening.  

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

You don’t think the fans deserve to know when the best player at the club has been suspended? I’m not asking for the fine details that led up to them coming to that decision. It sounds better coming from the club than ITK fans or journalists - the silence is deafening.  

Buckshawlatic is right. Just because we are fans doesn’t mean we have a right to know why he is suspended. If you were suspended at work I doubt you would want it posted everywhere for any possibly new employers to see or colleagues for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Buckshawlatic is right. Just because we are fans doesn’t mean we have a right to know why he is suspended. If you were suspended at work I doubt you would want it posted everywhere for any possibly new employers to see or colleagues for that matter. 

Straw man. Why haven’t they confirmed the fact that he has been suspended? I repeat, I’m not expecting them to disclose the fine details that led to that outcome but to simply confirm the outcome.

24 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

There aren’t many businesses that can constantly serve a poor product knowing that their revenue won’t fall by more than a few quid. Football clubs essentially have a monopoly over their own fanbase. If I moved between jobs it wouldn’t generate thousands of retweets for my new company and the customer base of my previous employer wouldn’t be sending me death threats. My point is that football is unlike any other industry so it’s a silly comparison to make.

Word travels fast fast in football circles. Byrne’s suspension is a secret to nobody - why not confirm it? 

Archived