Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that was muted was the imminent significant investment.  Was this via AL - hence paying the taxman etc - or is it yet to come in?

Had relegation not happened the perhaps we would have seen investment from AL but, with that tax bill and a £500k income shortfall due to relegation, then its not illogical that AL is now cutting our cloth accordingly.  Yes we wanted your Doyles, Bryans and the like but we now have to shop in the Miller and O’Grady window until either we ship out some more high earners or secure promotion.

It would be interesting when the Trust meet with AL again to get confirmation as to how relegation has affected us.  For example, if our budget would have been £2.1m pa in League 1, it’s now £1.7m in League 2 but Byrne and Gerrard are taking c£400k pa (an example and I don’t know exact figures but basing in combined £7k pw) naming just two players.

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Fella just look at the North Stand FFS!

To carry on supporting him make sure you go in on non matchdays to further help Simon's cause.

If the “Simon” you are referring to is Corney then he’s been nothing to do with the OEC since March 2016.

if you want to hurt the Two Amigo’s then yes boycott the North Stand non-match days.

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Well... we’ll see wont we.  Bit early yet. 

Aslong as we dont throw the baby out with the bath water. Im sure their are some who could be replaced but some will have been hard working and loyal employees of the club who will be much harder to replace.

Byrne has been training with the youth team. Does this suggest he has been suspended? I'd think if he was suspended he would be at home, training on his own.

Chris Taylor was ordered to do one hours worth of gym a day at Bolton for nearly the whole season last year, he wasn't suspended but he wasn't picked for 1st team or reserve games. Byrne is not being shunned as much as he could be. 

On the in house staff, lets face it it has been jobs for the boys for a number of years. Billy Q moved from job to job, some important some not, people coming in and moving into new roles. Broady ended up in a crucial commercial role where he would have not even had an interview had it been recruited to externally. It's about time the club operated like any other business. You don't get paid much to work in the football sector, back office wise, but we must make sure those that do get the jobs a) are competent and b) aren't gobshites leaking tales here there and everywhere. I back AL on starting afresh. 

9 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Can assure you I haven’t. Just responding to several comments you’ve made and put another stance on them. Out of interest how do you feel about the corney years? 

For a longish time I thought Corney was making a reasonable fist of a pretty poor hand but the last few were utterly shambolic with do many basic mistakes and omissions being made coupled with some ludicrous and damaging decisions which had nothing to do with funding. Very glad to see him gone. 

What I was hoping for with the new owner was basic competence which would have started with him establishing a competent senior administrative team of his choosing which may or may not have included existing staff. 

That doesn't appear to have happened. 

When’s the next board meeting where the Trust attends?

Would be good to secure an update from AL for us fans including debts, matchday experience (refreshments), squad strengthening, club hierarchy and future plans i.e. purchasing stadium.

Even if it’s restricted access, PPV or an actual meet the owner event.

Communication between club and the fans is crucial to stop uncertainty and  negativity but support and positivity.

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

For a longish time I thought Corney was making a reasonable fist of a pretty poor hand but the last few were utterly shambolic with do many basic mistakes and omissions being made coupled with some ludicrous and damaging decisions which had nothing to do with funding. Very glad to see him gone. 

What I was hoping for with the new owner was basic competence which would have started with him establishing a competent senior administrative team of his choosing which may or may not have included existing staff. 

That’s my concern especially when he came in all blazing about openness, communication etc.

Even if it’s a “Look, I’ve been here a fair few months and you wouldn’t believe the mess we was in with debts and how this club was operating.  That’s led me to bin the whole shower and I’m now in process of recruiting for the benefit of the clubs future.  This includes... (then give a snapshot of the future and what to get the fans excited)”

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Looks like he’s lost trust with a lot that have left. Maybe he has found out that a lot that have left have not been able to keep problems in house and maybe some have been found to be not as honest as first thought. I think a lot of underhanded stuff had been going on. With Corney away in America a lot of the time you might say that the saying, “ When the cats away the mice will play” could be true. A lot of the catering books have not been balancing, so god only knows what has been going on behind the scenes? I think AL wants to be more of a hands on boss and just maybe he has uncovered a can of worms in the behind scenes staff.

4 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

If it does go tits up with AL, for me, it won't validate Corney's tenure. Seems that a few are ready to to take that stance. We needed a change. If AL fucks up, he's done so in his own right the same as Corney and his pals.

I’m hoping AL is merely the stepping stone, foot in the door etc. Someone else is hovering behind the scenes to arrive once the mess has been cleared up.  Praying that these links to Man City’s owners comes true.

Its happened with City, Villa, Wigan etc when a rich person buys, struggles but leaves way for a ridiculously rich person to take over.  Please let it happen to our club 

1 hour ago, Clifford said:

On the in house staff, lets face it it has been jobs for the boys for a number of years. Billy Q moved from job to job, some important some not, people coming in and moving into new roles. Broady ended up in a crucial commercial role where he would have not even had an interview had it been recruited to externally. It's about time the club operated like any other business. You don't get paid much to work in the football sector, back office wise, but we must make sure those that do get the jobs a) are competent and b) aren't gobshites leaking tales here there and everywhere. I back AL on starting afresh. 

I do agree with most of this. My only concern is that AL has potentially taken on a much bigger beast than he has managed before. Without knowing the staff composition of his player agency, I would imagine that it stretched to no more than a handful of employees. Latics on the other hand must have in excess of 100 when you include players and match-day staff.

18 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Ticketing a shambles?

ST printed on time for first home game amazing how you can 2 views on something. 

Offer of scarf was late? Where did it say you picked them up at the same time? 

Lets face it What income does the club bring in the close season now corney and co have rinsed us dry? ST nothing else. We should have money from OEC, businesses paying us rent; yet all of that goes to corney and co. AL has already said he isn’t going to throw money at it and we will need to live within our means. About time fans like yourself Dave realised what division we are in thanks to 14 years of shocking ownership. Staff didn’t mind corneys ownership despite being paid late most months. Clearly they liked his ownership despite it being shocking to say the least. 

They may have minded, but there's not much they could do about it apart from leave. I suspect most stayed, down to loyalty to the club not Corney. However you are spot on with regard to the OEC.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

They may have minded, but there's not much they could do about it apart from leave. I suspect most stayed, down to loyalty to the club not Corney. However you are spot on with regard to the OEC.

Corney doesn’t get money from the OEC, he resigned from that company in March 2016.

9 hours ago, Midsblue said:

That’s my concern especially when he came in all blazing about openness, communication etc.

Even if it’s a “Look, I’ve been here a fair few months and you wouldn’t believe the mess we was in with debts and how this club was operating.  That’s led me to bin the whole shower and I’m now in process of recruiting for the benefit of the clubs future.  This includes... (then give a snapshot of the future and what to get the fans excited)”

It's unusual when you take over a business that most staff need sacking as has happened at Latics.Change more often than not happens and is needed , some staff will leave and some embrace the change. What has happened demonstrates a naivety,.The claim that things were worse than I thought ring hollow. Remember how long AL took with due diligence and the almost unfettered access he had to the club during DD, which to be fair I thought strange.

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Could video from lee Johnson on Facebook. Talking about the issues at the club and how he went about securing the short term future of it. 

Apparently Corney told LJ that if he didn’t win the Mansfield cup replay that staff wouldn’t be paid for two months. What a toxic individual SC was.

£400k each for JCH and Tarky - it was reported as much less at the time.

Archived