Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Our friends at Brassbank are earning £0 and 0p from the top floor of their asset as things stand. If I owned the club, I'd be attempting to negotiate a suitable lease that would allow me to fit it out, & subsequently earn income from.....

If I owned the club I'd be trying to buy it off them. If it's completed properly it would make money for the club.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Hello owners of stand, you are earning £0 and 0p from the top floor of your asset and I don't see a long of queue of potential suitors, fancy earning some money from agreeing a lease with me?

Hello ‘fans bar’

Just now, al_bro said:

If I owned the club I'd be trying to buy it off them. If it's completed properly it would make money for the club.

Well yes, but one assumes the capital required to buy the whole asset would run into the multiple £millions and - when we can't seemingly afford to pay HMRC or staff wages on time - this seems an unlikely option for our owner. I'm therefore proposing a much more realistic and achievable 'Plan' for him to devise.....

3 hours ago, LaticsLen said:

Your money will be doing nothing more than paying off the £6 million it cost to build the whole thing. 

I keep seeing this £6 million, I might be wrong, but didn't Oldham Council put something into financing the stand after the collapse of the Failsworth project ?

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Hello owners of stand, you are earning £0 and 0p from the top floor of your asset and I don't see a long of queue of potential suitors, fancy earning some money from agreeing a lease with me?

Match day only? Probably not worth doing the work for that, midweek use would compete directly with the floor beneath. 

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

Match day only? Probably not worth doing the work for that, midweek use would compete directly with the floor beneath. 

Has a business case been written to scope it out?

If the facilities were such that 23 League games + ? Cup games per season attracted X more supporters & £Y ticket sales through the gates, spending £Z on sundries/shirt sales/gifts et al, the extra revenue & margin could be forecasted/calculated and the initial Cap Ex & ongoing costs amortised over N games in order to pay back. Everything is calculable.

22 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Was laughed at, but I did suggest it was too matey, I notice the players call FB 'gaffer' so maybe there's a bit more discipline.

It seems that way to me anyway with the togetherness in the friendlies.

Except in his very first ifollow interview Giles Coke calls him Frankie.... 

if your comment was aimed at me for the record I never laughed at you but I did disagree with you.

respect is earned through actions not what someone is made to call you. I have had jobs where the bosses are referred to as “Sir” and I have respected dung beetles more than most of them.

as I said the last time we had this argument I work for a very successful company where everyone is on first name terms including the managing director and I have nothing but respect for him because he leads by example and treats his staff with dignity and makes us all feel a part of something - I could call him dog shit in the morning and that wouldn’t change my respect for him 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I keep seeing this £6 million, I might be wrong, but didn't Oldham Council put something into financing the stand after the collapse of the Failsworth project ?

Think our cup run where we beat Liverpool and got a replay against Everton all of which were on TV put more money into the stand than Oldham Council did. 

The same can apply to the club kindly agreeing to take on the Landlords tax bill. 

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

1n 1960 the signing of  Bobby Johnstone raised the gate from 5,000 to 17,000. It shows what initiatives can do  in capturing fans imagination.

Just not true BP. Gates before Johnstone were regularly 9/10000 . For his debut there were 17000 but after that nearer 13000

I appreciate your point but it isn’t so easy nowadays 

46 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Except in his very first ifollow interview Giles Coke calls him Frankie.... 

if your comment was aimed at me for the record I never laughed at you but I did disagree with you.

respect is earned through actions not what someone is made to call you. I have had jobs where the bosses are referred to as “Sir” and I have respected dung beetles more than most of them.

as I said the last time we had this argument I work for a very successful company where everyone is on first name terms including the managing director and I have nothing but respect for him because he leads by example and treats his staff with dignity and makes us all feel a part of something - I could call him dog shit in the morning and that wouldn’t change my respect for him 

Probably a generational thing on my part and I guess with RW being so close to the age of many players he would be quite matey.

With FB he's more of a father figure and 'gaffer' is  more appropriate IMO.

Coke is an older professional so may be on closer terms.

With respect I'll leave it at that Mr Buckshawlatic. 

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Probably a generational thing on my part and I guess with RW being so close to the age of many players he would be quite matey.

With FB he's more of a father figure and 'gaffer' is  more appropriate IMO.

Coke is an older professional so may be on closer terms.

With respect I'll leave it at that Mr Buckshawlatic. 

Just because I don’t agree doesn’t mean I’m being or seeking to be antagonistic, and yes perhaps the age thing and Wellens only just stepping out of the playing side was a big factor. Yes maybe generational, times do change and not always (if ever) for the best, they’ve done so just in my lifetime. I only try to give a balanced view that respect is more than just a name but I respect your entitlement to think otherwise 

I like your posts and we will probably never see eye to eye on a lot but that’s what makes a forum! Maybe see you at BP (the place not you) next Saturday to witness 4th tier football for the first time in my life! 

16 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Just because I don’t agree doesn’t mean I’m being or seeking to be antagonistic, and yes perhaps the age thing and Wellens only just stepping out of the playing side was a big factor. Yes maybe generational, times do change and not always (if ever) for the best, they’ve done so just in my lifetime. I only try to give a balanced view that respect is more than just a name but I respect your entitlement to think otherwise 

I like your posts and we will probably never see eye to eye on a lot but that’s what makes a forum! Maybe see you at BP (the place not you) next Saturday to witness 4th tier football for the first time in my life! 

Going back to the generational thing my first game at BP was actually 1959 in the 4th tier when the club was in a worse place than now.

BP1960 refers to the happy memory of when Bobby Johnstone signed, still my favourite player.

It's a myth this league is kick and rush, never has been in my experience.

I'll go so far as to say you will probably enjoy the games more than those in Division One (provided we sign some decent strikers).

6 hours ago, LaticsLen said:

Your money will be doing nothing more than paying off the £6 million it cost to build the whole thing. 

No it wouldnt-that is long term debt which should have been 'ringfenced' within the share dealing-at least I hope it was!

7 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

There is completely empty unused space on the top floor of the North Stand. If I owned the l club, I'd be doing everything I could to re-purpose it into a quality space for families to enjoy and subsequently targeting marketing to the community around us. This requires a Business Plan. Cap Ex to increase revenues firstly to cover cost, then to make a profit from it.....

Perhaps that top floor is included in the floorspace leased out to OEC Ltd?

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Oldham Council agreed to "Pay a capital grant of £700,000 as a contribution to the redevelopment of Boundary Park based on the community work which the club carry out in the Borough."

Maybe if propery owners were heavily taxed on unused space in buildings, units would be let instead of left to rot.

This applies not only to the North stand, but to shopping centres where trade is practically dead on it's feet.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why it's more profitable to leave units empty  than not?

Homes are charged council tax if left empty why not units?

42 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Maybe if propery owners were heavily taxed on unused space in buildings, units would be let instead of left to rot.

This applies not only to the North stand, but to shopping centres where trade is practically dead on it's feet.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why it's more profitable to leave units empty  than not?

Homes are charged council tax if left empty why not units?

Because businesses don’t pay council tax occupied or not.

They pay business rates and these are indeed payable on empty properties. You only get a temporary exemption for the empty unit (3 to 6 months I think).

Not sure what the situation is with a unit that isn’t fit for occupancy though (due to it not being finished).

23 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Because businesses don’t pay council tax occupied or not.

They pay business rates and these are indeed payable on empty properties. You only get a temporary exemption for the empty unit (3 to 6 months I think).

Not sure what the situation is with a unit that isn’t fit for occupancy though (due to it not being finished).

Is there an answer then to unused units, a system which would encourage owners to let them out?

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Is there an answer then to unused units, a system which would encourage owners to let them out?

Has to be a demand first. Anyone starting a new retail business in this environment is either brave or foolish. The spaces in shopping centres aren't there because the previous occupants were thriving. 

42 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

They can always drop the price. As was quoted by underdog they want £75k a year to rent it out which is insanity given the location.

Archived