Ex players and that

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

these are not the same

Well kind of, both teams were struggling at the start of 2022. New managers went in and had an immediate impact which helped the clubs avoid relegation. Both teams now look likely for promotion to League 1. That feels like a quick turn around in fortunes to me. We’re continually being told to be patient. There’s been no obvious on the pitch improvement at all this season.

3 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Well kind of, both teams were struggling at the start of 2022. New managers went in and had an immediate impact which helped the clubs avoid relegation. Both teams now look likely for promotion to League 1. That feels like a quick turn around in fortunes to me. We’re continually being told to be patient. There’s been no obvious on the pitch improvement at all this season.

l was talking about the timescales. theyve been at it for 18months whereas us about 18 matches.

Wellens & Evans were appointed around 9 months ago and have been in charge for 35 league games. During which, they saved the clubs from relegation to the National League (Stevenage looked likely for the drop for a few seasons). This was an immediate impact with only 12 games or so left of the season.

The impact has continued. Who would have predicted Orient & Stevenage being top two?

Unsworth talks like we’ll need a season or two to see gradual improvement and begin to challenge at the top end. I get why he’s saying it and asking for patience (given his awful record) but with the right person in charge there’s no reason why we couldn’t fast track our progression (or at least stop the decline!!!)

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Wellens & Evans were appointed around 9 months ago and have been in charge for 35 league games. During which, they saved the clubs from relegation to the National League (Stevenage looked likely for the drop for a few seasons). This was an immediate impact with only 12 games or so left of the season.

The impact has continued. Who would have predicted Orient & Stevenage being top two?

Unsworth talks like we’ll need a season or two to see gradual improvement and begin to challenge at the top end. I get why he’s saying it and asking for patience (given his awful record) but with the right person in charge there’s no reason why we couldn’t fast track our progression (or at least stop the decline!!!)

It could have been like that for us. Imagine Frank taking ownership when Shez came in and gave us that lift. Another four or five good new players then and who knows what ? Sorry for dreaming. 😀

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Although I doubt either inherited a squad put together on a shoestring budget just so they could get a team on the pitch.  Yes, I know he's been backed and it isn't good enough

Edited by Dave_Og

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Although I doubt either inherited a squad put together on a shoestring budget just so they could get a team on the pitch

I get your sentiment but the team from which Unsworth is currently draining the ability to actually play football, is totally different from the team Sheridan put out. Sheridan was not the answer, he had to go and the whole management side of things appears to have been a total fuck-up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

I get your sentiment but the team from which Unsworth is currently draining the ability to actually play football, is totally different from the team Sheridan put out. Sheridan was not the answer, he had to go and the whole management side of things appears to have been a total fuck-up.

Don't necessarily disagree.  I never thought at any stage this season that a serious promotion challenge was a realistic possibility but you'd want to see enough positive signs to be pretty confident for 23/24.  Clearly they haven't appeared yet.

45 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

They've had a full preseason and an extra 7 months. Can't compare

2 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

l love a hypothetical and l rate Wellens but lm not too sure where to go now bcits far too different. as above Frank comin in when Shez did is a decent one so l counter with that!!

l said before weekend l needed to see he hadn't 'lost the dressing room' and l saw that. after 2-3 more matches it will be mid january and l might have a bit of moan!!

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

l love a hypothetical and l rate Wellens but lm not too sure where to go now bcits far too different. as above Frank comin in when Shez did is a decent one so l counter with that!!

l said before weekend l needed to see he hadn't 'lost the dressing room' and l saw that. after 2-3 more matches it will be mid january and l might have a bit of moan!!

I don't think he has lost the dressing room, also Kudos to him after the bad tackle by Clarke, he stood up to the Notts players when they were seeking retribution, earned himself a booking in the process. 

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

I don't think he has lost the dressing room, also Kudos to him after the bad tackle by Clarke, he stood up to the Notts players when they were seeking retribution, earned himself a booking in the process. 

loved that. nowhere near Gerry Taggart standards, but l still loved it.

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Wellens
Curle
Holden
Warne
Wild
Maamria
Wood
Byfield
Schumacher
Hudson
?

Steve Schumacher (stretching it a bit but he was here at one time.

Cliff Byrne was assistant manager at Peterborough United until a few days ago.

Edited by BP1960