Ex players and that

47 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

Remember Reggie playing for us. He would run up and down the right wing all afternoon. I've seen him take the ball right upto the opponents penalty area, bring it almost back to ours and then take it back again before getting a cross in. Quite a player.

12 minutes ago, redlion said:

Remember Reggie playing for us. He would run up and down the right wing all afternoon. I've seen him take the ball right upto the opponents penalty area, bring it almost back to ours and then take it back again before getting a cross in. Quite a player.

His mileage stats must have been impressive!

Jeff Stelling on Keith Curle

who has an almost identical record at Hartlepool to that of Unsworth 

Ok  . Maybe not for me to say. But I love my club more than any individual. Enough is enough . Carlisle were doomed last season but found Paul Simpson. V embarrassed but we need to roll the dice. Now .

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 8:18 AM, Summerdeep said:

IIRC Reg Blore was one of the players that came with the first flush of spending when Ken Bates took over the club.  I think others could have been Bill Asprey, Ian Towers. Albert Quixall and the manager Jimmy Mcilroy himself.

At one point we had about 7 expensive new signings in and around the team - with no immediate success. 🙂

Reg was popular,  he always looked like he was bursting out of his skin, every fan likes to see someone working for the team.

Edited by Punce
sp
  • Like 1

^ Yes, 'bursting out of his skin', I can see what you mean by that,  I only saw his performances in his last year or so at the club, and my recollection is that he often looked a bit 'wheezy', with very puffed out cheeks. I've even occasionally wondered about his state of health and fitness at that stage of his career - he was only 28 when Frizzell released him on a free transfer, but he doesn't seem to have played any professional football after that.

I had the impression also that Reg didn't have the outright pace and ball control to be a fully effective winger. At Southport he was a 20 goals per season man, so maybe his best position was inside forward or even centre forward. His Wikipedia entry describes him as both a centre forward and a midfielder. Then again, it's a pretty poor article, which doesn't even mention his Latics career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Blore

^ So the Latics received around £1 million for Bernard in the mid-1990s? That was very serious money at the time and could have been put to good use, but clearly wasn't! I remember watching a newly relegated OAFC side playing at Fulham in September 1997 against a side just up from the old Fourth Division (or whatever it was called back then), and getting slaughtered. The fans probably thought things couldn't get much worse from then on, but there was another quarter of a century of decline (at least) to come, lol.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Punce said:

IIRC Reg Blore was one of the players that came with the first flush of spending when Ken Bates took over the club.  I think others could have been Bill Asprey, Ian Towers. Albert Quixall and the manager Jimmy Mcilroy himself.

At one point we had about 7 expensive new signings in and around the team - with no immediate success. 🙂

Reg was popular,  he always looked like he was bursting out of his skin, every fan likes to see someone working for the team.

Albert Quixall was earlier. I believe it was Denis Stevens and Ken Knighton

• Like 1