Next Oldham Manager?

3 minutes ago, singe said:

He's been quoted a couple of times that he'd be happy as No 2 to Seedorf. Not too big a stretch to imagine he'd be happy to be No2 to Scholes. Anyone else mentioned eg Correra, Coyle etc you're right he'll be off

If the investment fall through, it's Wellens to turn down....

If Correa was open to it I think Richie would be daft not to stick around to learn from such an experienced manager as him if that's what he wants to be....

In all likelihood he'll have a different approach again to anything RW has seen or worked under....

Could stand him in very good stead long term....

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

All the indications are that he wants to the main man, don't think he will stick around if not.

He wasn't the main man with Shez though so nothing would change.

He will have plenty of chances to move into management later in his career.

Just now, BP1960 said:

He wasn't the main man with Shez though so nothing would change.

He will have plenty of chances to move into management later in his career.

He's had the taste now, not the type to go back into the ranks.

I think he'll get the job now anyway.

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Really?

one of the finest footballers of his generation, a Latics fan and a local lad to boot and you feel underwhelmed.

FFS what is wrong with you people, we support Latics a below average 3rd tier football club and you expect something more exciting ?

A token Latics fan like a lot in the town.

If he really was a fan he would've donned his boots for us just for a season instead of going back to the scum for a season. That would've helped the club immeasurably in profile and bums on seats. Unlike him being manager that would have a 1 or 2 game token effect.

3 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Whatever happens with the investment I think we need to keep Wellens involved - I’d hope that if it is a name / experienced manager (especially one without English experience) then he is a number 2, if not give it to him.

Scholes / Pablo + Wellens

OR

Just Wellens

Anything else and I will be dissatisfied 

Can we have all 3 and give then fancy job title's!

RW - First Team Manager

PS - Head of Coaching

PC - Director of Football

:wink:

59 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

If he really was a fan he would've donned his boots for us just for a season instead of going back to the scum for a season. That would've helped the club immeasurably in profile and bums on seats. Unlike him being manager that would have a 1 or 2 game token effect.

He was one of the top players in the world, but he has paid money to come and watch Oldham Athletic. I think that makes him a fan, even if he is not willing to give up part of his career or his wealth!

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

would he? why that?

he's a fan! he's owes the club nothing and a extra year on 100k plus a week instead of playing in front of a fan base where half don't like him due to his ex club, id say he made the right choice form him and his family

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

would he? why that?

he's a fan! he's owes the club nothing and a extra year on 100k plus a week instead of playing in front of a fan base where half don't like him due to his ex club, id say he made the right choice form him and his family

That's right, and any sensible man in that position will put his family first, even if he loves OAFC. 

45 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

He was one of the top players in the world, but he has paid money to come and watch Oldham Athletic. I think that makes him a fan, even if he is not willing to give up part of his career or his wealth!

19 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

would he? why that?

Horses for courses.

If I had his ability and supposed love for the club, I'd have given a season to the club. Wouldn't feel right not to. I didn't feel like that about him when he retired as I thought fair enough, gone out on top. But when he came out for retirement to help them rather than give us some help for a season, that's when my opinion of him changed. He's not that big a fan at all IMO.

21 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

That's right, and any sensible man in that position will put his family first, even if he loves OAFC. 

Behave Alan. He ain't short of a bob or two. And still got his TV punditry to fall back on.

10 hours ago, piglinbland said:

« J’ai bien discuté avec le président de Valenciennes. Mais pour l’instant, j’ai préféré ne pas donner suite », a annoncé à 20 Minutes le technicien.

Pablo correa turns down the manager's job at Valenciennes.

I mean sacre feckin bleu. Je suis le president d'Oldham Athletic FFS. 

Edited by L1onheartNew

On 10/12/2017 at 7:30 AM, Ricardo said:

Really?

one of the finest footballers of his generation, a Latics fan and a local lad to boot and you feel underwhelmed.

FFS what is wrong with you people, we support Latics a below average 3rd tier football club and you expect something more exciting ?

I expect to be entertained, which at the moment Wellens is doing, and winning. What guarantee do you have that Scholes will do that.

1 hour ago, manshaw said:

I expect to be entertained, which at the moment Wellens is doing, and winning. What guarantee do you have that Scholes will do that.

Whose to say Scholes wouldn't get even more out of the players than Wellens? Both come with risks but Scholes pedigree as with Seedorfs is unquestionable, if Scholes hadn't played for Manure this one would be a no brainer for 90% of our fans, ironically Wellens used to play and is a fan of the same team yet was a million miles behind Scholes in terms of ability and standing within the game.

The reason Scholes has turned it down before is the lack of investment makes it a very hard job. I'm told he has met with us, I suppose if he is appointed that means we have some decent funding. He wouldn't meet without interest in the job, if he thinks the money isn't there then he will probably walk away.