Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, singe said:

Tony Philliskirk if you add his games together.

Scottish International Jimmy McMullan as Player Manager and  some as Manager before he left for Villa. 

In addition, if you don't use the 10 game yardstick,

TP

David Eyres

As an aside Andrew Wilson's brother David played 406 games for us.

McMullan isn't credited as making an appearance for Latics in any of the reference books though

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

McMullan isn't credited as making an appearance for Latics in any of the reference books though

Out of interest, who does it say managed us between May 1933 and May 1934 in the reference books?

I  can find quite a few refences

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/jimmy-mcmullan/

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/remembering-jimmy-mcmullan-1-2279922

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers/manager.sd?manager_id=734

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/jimmy-mcmullan/

http://www.doingthe92.com/display_player.asp?step=451&ID=-1&tid=10&pid=52461

Edited by singe

1 hour ago, singe said:

No one said we are 5 points from Play off final but we would 5 points of a play off place if we win the game in hand and would be on a great run, and in the mix as anyone else.

The point is clearly that we would not be far off the pace, and in a chance of being competitive.

That is exactly how I would see it.

52 minutes ago, singe said:

McMullan - but purely a manager. In all the books about Latics he is just that , never playing. E.g.

Latics Lads

Latics Legends

Oldham Athletic A Complete Record

A-Z of Oldham Athletic

Oldham Athletic 1915-39

In the third of those there are match by match lineups and he isn't listed in any I'm afraid

Edited by LaticsPete

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Shrewsbury virtually guaranteed a top 6 place already, no reason to think they will fall away.

Apart from the fact they are Shrewsbury.

Someone who is up there or thereabouts round Xmas usually falls into the bottom half (as a minimum) by the end of the season.

Shrewsbury look like strong contenders for that role.

31 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Apart from the fact they are Shrewsbury.

Someone who is up there or thereabouts round Xmas usually falls into the bottom half (as a minimum) by the end of the season.

Shrewsbury look like strong contenders for that role.

The shot data says not.

20 hours ago, robboman said:

I looked back to 2010 and I’m sure 74 points was highest number of points to clinch 6th

so we need 60 points out of 33 games. My maths makes that 1.82 points per game from now on

I apologise for the error of putting in the 2.2 to achieve 74pts for the season. It was made by taking the wrong figure from my scribblings. Of course the 1.82 is accurate and more easily achievable.

You are also correct 74pts being the highest achieved in recent years. I only used the last 2yrs as a realistic target. 74pts may or may not be enough this time. The 69pt total that someone else mentioned from 3yrs ago is the lowest 6th place this century and the next lowest is 71 but that has only been enough 3 times.78 has been deeded once, 76 twice, 75 twice and 74 four, 73 three and 72 once. The grand average is 73.47 over 17 seasons. The more input the more accurate the average.

Top six is certainly not as difficult has my post suggested but there are more booby traps in League football season than any of us realize. Also my ramblings are generally based on what 'is' and what's 'happened' not related to the multi-choice world of guessing the future.

Sorry again for the fracas folks. 

Edited by mikeroyboy

4 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

McMullan - but purely a manager. In all the books about Latics he is just that , never playing. E.g.

Latics Lads

Latics Legends

Oldham Athletic A Complete Record

A-Z of Oldham Athletic

Oldham Athletic 1915-39

In the third of those there are match by match lineups and he isn't listed in any I'm afraid

Right I see what you mean.

Perhaps it is fair have to have a minimum appearance time too, as there is a minimum number of matches as manager. Dickov who hadn't played even a half a match, let alone a whole match.

If you have to discount TP and his 9 games. Dickov played 4 mins (and got a booking!) and 13 mins a total of 17 minutes!

Or include both!

On 19 October 2017 at 8:28 PM, mikeroyboy said:

I apologise for the error of putting in the 2.2 to achieve 74pts for the season. It was made by taking the wrong figure from my scribblings. Of course the 1.82 is accurate and more easily achievable.

You are also correct 74pts being the highest achieved in recent years. I only used the last 2yrs as a realistic target. 74pts may or may not be enough this time. The 69pt total that someone else mentioned from 3yrs ago is the lowest 6th place this century and the next lowest is 71 but that has only been enough 3 times.78 has been deeded once, 76 twice, 75 twice and 74 four, 73 three and 72 once. The grand average is 73.47 over 17 seasons. The more input the more accurate the average.

Top six is certainly not as difficult has my post suggested but there are more booby traps in League football season than any of us realize. Also my ramblings are generally based on what 'is' and what's 'happened' not related to the multi-choice world of guessing the future.

Sorry again for the fracas folks. 

Before every season I set down how many points we should require for the play offs and then make a suggestion as to how we might get them. I know too much time on my hands and I've normally lost interest by now.This year I went for 72 points as I thought the league is more even than last year. To get to that total I went for 20 wins 12 draws and  14 losses. I then had a punt at how that might look against the teams we had to play, and ended up with

no points ( I.e. Lose home and away) - Wigan, Blackburn

one point  ( I.e. Draw home lose away) -Bradford, Peterborough, Scunthorpe , bury

three points - Rotherham, Charlton, Oxford,Portsmouth,Southend, Walsall

four points - Blackpool ,Fleetwood, Bristol R,MKD, Wimbledon, Rochdale , Plymouth, Doncaster

six points- Northampton,Gillingham, Shrewsbury 

obviously my my assessment of bury and Shrewsbury has gone awry but if you look at how I've specced it out we are currently one point ahead of where we need to be to get 72 points. Happy days?

Still a point ahead after MKD

Edited by astottie
Doncaster added

6 hours ago, astottie said:

Before every season I set down how many points we should require for the play offs and then make a suggestion as to how we might get them. I know too much time on my hands and I've normally lost interest by now.This year I went for 72 points as I thought the league is more even than last year. To get to that total I went for 20 wins 12 draws and  14 losses. I then had a punt at how that might look against the teams we had to play, and ended up with

one point  ( I.e. Draw home lose away) -Bradford, Peterborough, Scunthorpe , bury

four points - Blackpool ,Fleetwood, Bristol R,MKD, Wimbledon, Rochdale , Plymouth 

obviously my my assessment of bury and Shrewsbury has gone awry but if you look at how I've specced it out we are currently one point ahead of where we need to be to get 72 points. Happy days?

Play offs it is then 

at least a draw against MKF tomorrow and a win against Bury on Tuesday and we're ahead of your target

10 hours ago, astottie said:

four points - Blackpool ,Fleetwood, Bristol R,MKD, Wimbledon, Rochdale , Plymouth 

My pre-season ramble, after our second Houdini escape was to be threatening the top six this season instead of the bottom four. My optimism soon dwindled when the booby traps kicked in. Still no funds, few players signed, a dreadful start and our hero 'released'. Debatably, the worst start of the last three seasons.

Wellen's taking over and a 10pts out of 12 start has got us back on track somewhat, but still a long way to go and unseen booby traps to surface.

On 20 October 2017 at 0:03 AM, astottie said:

Still a point ahead after MKD

Now 3 points ahead after Bury.

still 2 points to the good after scunny

Edited by astottie

25 minutes ago, singe said:

Check out the form table fopr the last 6 matches

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/england/league-one/20172018/regular-season/r41820/tables/?ICID=PL_3N_03

Wish I knew how to drag files or choose files and for it to work

On a par with Shrewsbury, Oxford and Charlton over the last five matches. Only the plastics are better.

Edited by TheBigDog

49 minutes ago, singe said:

Check out the form table fopr the last 6 matches

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/england/league-one/20172018/regular-season/r41820/tables/?ICID=PL_3N_03

Wish I knew how to drag files or choose files and for it to work

Will be interesting to see an updated version of this -