Next Oldham Manager?

6 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

I'm happy with Wellen's appointment because of the way he has turned around team selection, tactics and moral.  But expecting him to continue in his 2.5 points per game average to achieve a top six spot is extremely optimistic. 

The last two seasons have required an average 74pt minimum. This would require a 2.2 average from now on in. Sheffield averaged 2.17 last season amassing 100pts. 

Some of us can't believe our luck with the turnaround and feel entitled to become over optimistic but is very early days. There is no sign of the indicated takeover yet and fancy rumours are biting the dust at regular intervals. 

I'm waiting till end of January at least before reassessing whether our money troubles are over.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the free flowing football without worrying too much about relegation,  for a change. Although nothing is guaranteed in this game. 

Could you please explain your terrible maths?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

I'm happy with Wellen's appointment because of the way he has turned around team selection, tactics and moral.  But expecting him to continue in his 2.5 points per game average to achieve a top six spot is extremely optimistic. 

The last two seasons have required an average 74pt minimum. This would require a 2.2 average from now on in. Sheffield averaged 2.17 last season amassing 100pts. 

Some of us can't believe our luck with the turnaround and feel entitled to become over optimistic but is very early days. There is no sign of the indicated takeover yet and fancy rumours are biting the dust at regular intervals. 

I'm waiting till end of January at least before reassessing whether our money troubles are over.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the free flowing football without worrying too much about relegation,  for a change. Although nothing is guaranteed in this game. 

Putting aside your mathematics, this is all completely meaningless. Win on Saturday and Tuesday and we’re likely to be 5 points or less off the play offs in October.

Edited by dec666

17 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

I didn't want Seedorf FWIW. Johnson has hardly dug up trees. Nearly took Bristol City down last season ffs!

By your same logic, Scholes would also have been another without any management experience (would have cost more). And you would have taken Stubbs, who basically took Rotherham down last season, or Davies who nearly did the same with Forest? I dont understand what your point is thinking about it tbh!

9 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

Wellens is that good, we just knocked 14 points off that tally in an instant! 

10 hours ago, Wardie said:

You are definitely a WUM. The "cheap option" or the people's [fans] choice? I have more confidence in Wellens than in any manager the Latics have had, since Johnson. 

Nearly is not the same as actually.

Even more so, because there was pretty much no confidence in Johnson when he was appointed. Like RW, he earned it pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

We've needed more than five points to get out of relegation the last season or two so anythings possible.

Difference is the teams at the top end will still accumulate points so you probably have to have a run of 8/9/10 wins on the bounce at some stage to get up there.

Doable but pretty rare.

11 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

Only if we lose key players to injury. Or off field shenanigans fuck it all up (the most likely scenario). 

Most of what we've been doing is repeatable game in, game out....

We might even get better at it :lol:

I'd say not expecting us to continue this is extremely pessimistic.. 

11 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

?????  We have already got 14 points you know...

We are 8 points from the play offs with a game in hand in most... that's the reality.

Now, play offs last three years was 73, 74, 69.

I think 72 or even 70 will do it.  Lets assume 72:

So we need 58 points from 33 games.  That is 1.75 points per game.  

6 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

In my opinion, teams you would say guaranteed & probable to be top 6:

Wigan

Charlton

Probable: 

Rotherham

Bradford

Oxford

Blackburn

Outsiders/top half:

Shrewsbury

Scunthorpe

Oldham

Fleetwood

MK Dons

Shrewsbury virtually guaranteed a top 6 place already, no reason to think they will fall away.

5 hours ago, dec666 said:

Putting aside your mathematics, this is all completely meaningless. Win on Saturday and Tuesday and we’re likely to be 5 points or less off the play offs in October.

Win on  Saturday and Tuesday and we will be 54 points off the play offs.....unless you think 26 points will be enough

In my opinion, Latics are not 5pts [winning the game in hand] from the playoffs, as the playoffs do not exist until the end of the season. The rest of the season, it is just a psychological line drawn in the sand, as are the relegation places. Sixth placed Oxford have 22pts, bottom placed Plymouth have 7pts. Latics are slap bang in the middle. :D 

I think Wellens is the  12th Latics manager who has also played professionally for the club. That's using the bookies' yardstick of being in charge for ten matches. Am I missing anyone?

Charlie Roberts

George Hardwick

Ted Goodier

Jimmy McIlroy

Jimmy Frizzell

Graeme Sharp

Andy Ritchie

John Sheridan

Paul Dickov

Dean Holden

David Dunn

thanks to Jorvik for contributing Dickov

Gordon Hurst had been a wartime amateur with club

Edited by LaticsPete

26 minutes ago, Wardie said:

In my opinion, Latics are not 5pts [winning the game in hand] from the playoffs, as the playoffs do not exist until the end of the season. The rest of the season, it is just a psychological line drawn in the sand, as are the relegation places. Sixth placed Oxford have 22pts, bottom placed Plymouth have 7pts. Latics are slap bang in the middle. :D 

No one said we are 5 points from Play off final but we would 5 points of a play off place if we win the game in hand and would be on a great run, and in the mix as anyone else.

The point is clearly that we would not be far off the pace, and in a chance of being competitive.

9 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I think Wellens is the  11th Latics manager who has also played professionally for the club. That's using the bookies' yardstick of being in charge for ten matches. Am I missing anyone?

Charlie Roberts

George Hardwick

Ted Goodier

Jimmy McIlroy

Jimmy Frizzell

Graeme Sharp

Andy Ritchie

John Sheridan

Dean Holden

David Dunn

Tony Philliskirk if you add his games together.

Scottish International Jimmy McMullan as Player Manager and  some as Manager before he left for Villa. 

In addition, if you don't use the 10 game yardstick,

TP

David Eyres

As an aside Andrew Wilson's brother David played 406 games for us.

Edited by singe

12 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I think Wellens is the  11th Latics manager who has also played professionally for the club. That's using the bookies' yardstick of being in charge for ten matches. Am I missing anyone?

Charlie Roberts

George Hardwick

Ted Goodier

Jimmy McIlroy

Jimmy Frizzell

Graeme Sharp

Andy Ritchie

John Sheridan

Dean Holden

David Dunn

Paul Dickov?