Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

Go on then, who got the best odds on this (apart from Corney laying a load of bets on Betfair on Seedorf, Scholes and Correa :wink: ). I got 10-1 very early on but it drifted out a bit afterwards....

I got 16s on Skybet but only had £3 in my Sky account at the time!

I like RW's analysis after match stating why he changed or planned certain tactics, but perhaps he is giving too much away to future opposition managers by showing how he thinks. Or do they all get told these things on coaching courses 

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

Go on then, who got the best odds on this (apart from Corney laying a load of bets on Betfair on Seedorf, Scholes and Correa :wink: ). I got 10-1 very early on but it drifted out a bit afterwards....

Normally try to avoid the new manager market, but I got £10 on 10/1 after Portsmouth, snapped their hands off with those odds after that game!

1 hour ago, singe said:

Important question.

Have we sorted a nickname/abbreviation for Richie Wellens yet?

It's not right writing Richie Wellens (too long), Richie (too familiar), Wellens (too disrespectful)

Because of his Doyle trick and his stating he hadn't spoken about his appointment since last week pointing away from him, I'll start with

Pokerface!

I say we follow the precedent set earlier of only referring to Mr Corney as The Chairman. As in, "go on Left Sided Centre back, break that sneaky In the Pocket Forward's fucking legs." It will make it easier at the start of the season and in the transfer window 

15 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Steve Eyre said good friends with RW  kids go to school together , thought he was a bit ott in parts on commentary for GMR in support of Oldham.

6 games ago that clown was saying that Byrne &  Bryan were not what we needed as they didn't 'have the legs for league 1' keep that clown as far away from this club as possible if those are his views. No wonder he fooked it at Dale with insight like that!

1 hour ago, josh_latics said:

Put a 10er on at 12s. Think it may be used to pay for MK...

49 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Normally try to avoid the new manager market, but I got £10 on 10/1 after Portsmouth, snapped their hands off with those odds after that game!

Nice one chaps.

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

Richie seems far more relaxed in this interview than in previous ones.

I'm very optimistic I  think he'll be our best manager since Royle.

Love his post match analysis of why we plaved like we did - don't think he's giving anything away to other managers they can see it for themselves when they watch our videos.

Great news.  He has set himself a very high standard.  Taking games in blocks of 5 makes sense - we are five higher after the first block.

Richie Wellens has given us something that Lee Johnson provided in short measure.  Hope and a positive outlook but even more than that a team playing well.  The buzz is back.

4 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

Got a mixture of 10s, 12s and 16s. The 10s was before the Posh game. The 12s and 16s was after Seedorf had been linked / interviewed.

Paying for Xmas.

Edited by rudemedic

7 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Davies, Stubbs, Seedorf, Scholes

Guess what? Oldham go for the cheap option again and appoint Richie Wellens to his first mangerial job. Dunn, Dickov, Kelly, Robinson .... do we ever learn?

You are definitely a WUM. The "cheap option" or the people's [fans] choice? I have more confidence in Wellens than in any manager the Latics have had, since Johnson. 

6 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

I didn't want Seedorf FWIW. Johnson has hardly dug up trees. Nearly took Bristol City down last season ffs!

Nearly is not the same as actually.

I'm happy with Wellen's appointment because of the way he has turned around team selection, tactics and moral.  But expecting him to continue in his 2.5 points per game average to achieve a top six spot is extremely optimistic. 

The last two seasons have required an average 74pt minimum. This would require a 2.2 average from now on in. Sheffield averaged 2.17 last season amassing 100pts. 

Some of us can't believe our luck with the turnaround and feel entitled to become over optimistic but is very early days. There is no sign of the indicated takeover yet and fancy rumours are biting the dust at regular intervals. 

I'm waiting till end of January at least before reassessing whether our money troubles are over.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the free flowing football without worrying too much about relegation,  for a change. Although nothing is guaranteed in this game. 

I

42 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

I'm happy with Wellen's appointment because of the way he has turned around team selection, tactics and moral.  But expecting him to continue in his 2.5 points per game average to achieve a top six spot is extremely optimistic. 

The last two seasons have required an average 74pt minimum. This would require a 2.2 average from now on in. Sheffield averaged 2.17 last season amassing 100pts. 

Some of us can't believe our luck with the turnaround and feel entitled to become over optimistic but is very early days. There is no sign of the indicated takeover yet and fancy rumours are biting the dust at regular intervals. 

I'm waiting till end of January at least before reassessing whether our money troubles are over.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the free flowing football without worrying too much about relegation,  for a change. Although nothing is guaranteed in this game. 

I looked back to 2010 and I’m sure 74 points was highest number of points to clinch 6th

so we need 60 points out of 33 games. My maths makes that 1.82 points per game from now on

Edited by robboman