Clarence Seedorf

I know this'll probably get merged and locked but I felt it was important for this batshit to have its own thread with its own title...for the sake of posterity if nothing else...in the mode of the Patrick Berger excitement all those years ago. 

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be interesting to see how many latics fans would support this cos the guy has absolutely no pedigree as a manager whatsoever. Would be 100% a media ploy with not an ounce of a footballing decision behind it. 

One things for sure though soon enough we will be leaving this division. Either cos he has the financial clout and contacts to do it the right way, or because he is turning us into a circus and going down. 

It's gunna be interesting. In a good way? I'm not so sure

I'm also cynical...I carp from the cheap seats with the best of them...but this just fills me with love. 

Although it it does fit the Corney template of giving retired players with spare cash an opportunity to work for no money to get a foothold in management. (I know this isn't true but can't help myself.)

2 hours ago, philliggi said:

Be interesting to see how many latics fans would support this cos the guy has absolutely no pedigree as a manager whatsoever. Would be 100% a media ploy with not an ounce of a footballing decision behind it. 

One things for sure though soon enough we will be leaving this division. Either cos he has the financial clout and contacts to do it the right way, or because he is turning us into a circus and going down. 

I'd say the supporters would be right behind this it would be an inspired choice. It would also be a statement of intent from the new owners to attract someone of this footballing pedigree to Oldham Athletic.

The practicalities of it maybe a concern. If this starts going wrong how willing is someone like this who doesn't need this job going to be willing to stick it out, if it's the middle of February we are stuck in lower mid table and we have just lost 3 on the bounce. Even with new investment their will be pressures it will be a tough job. Does he himself know what he's letting himself in for?

Edited by GlossopLatic

I  wonder what Burton thought, when they appointed Hasselbank. A lot of people where underwhelmed when Richie Wellens was appointed caretaker manager on Monday. There was nothing underwhelming about his debut on tues night. Seedorf would put bums on seats, and he must have enough knowledge if he is being considered. I would personally have RW as assistant than Tommy Wright.

This could work if Seedorf is manager/DofF and Wellens head coach.

Seedorf raises profile of the club, uses his contacts to secure decent players and is present to inspire the team each and every match day.

Wellens on the training field alongside Seedorf and conducts majority of training.  Wellens will gain immense knowledge from Seedorf boosting his development to become our main manager in a season or two.

Mourinho and Ferguson are/were both motivators leaving the training, coaching and fitness to their team.  Leading up to each matchday and on matchdays this is where both earned their wages by inspiring, motivating and pushing mind over ability.

Obviously Seedorf isn't long-term and only a season if that but he'll be here to bridge the investment, new owners and, hopefully, we retain Wellens as I think we've a good un in young Richie.

4 hours ago, philliggi said:

An Ajax supporting friend tells me if he gets the job, then Oldham will end up featuring weekly in the Dutch sports news with updates on how he is doing. International fan base. I knew Corney knows what he is doing. Fuck China, noone has breached the Dutch market yet B)

Just now, youngen said:

An Ajax supporting friend tells me if he gets the job, then Oldham will end up featuring weekly in the Dutch sports news with updates on how he is doing. International fan base. I knew Corney knows what he is doing. Fuck China, noone has breached the Dutch market yet B)

Why go for a market of 1.6 billion when you can tap into a market of 17 million.

Shrewd business SC ?

Apart from referred to as "Clarence Seerdorf's Oldham Athletic" in EVERY bit of media coverage, and the risk that he is an unproven manager with no experience of the English game - I see no problems.

Seriously - whilst it may not work, all management appointments are a gamble, and I think it will make the season interesting.  Also "experience" of English football is often over-rated - it's a simple game when all

said and done and plenty of managers have come to England and succeeded.  Especially when they have the resources to make it a bit easier - which we have to presume we will if he comes?

4 hours ago, philliggi said:

No pedigree?? He's managed a club that have won the chanpions league 7 times, he must have had something about him to even be considered for that job, anyone opposed to this move is absolutely off their rockers!

Was it not rumoured before that Seedorf applied for the job when up for grabs previously? fairly sure it was.

I've been quite impressed with Wellens to date. Obviously not one game and win, more talking the talk. Speaking about how he wants the game played and watching the opponents in depth etc.

8 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

I smell deliberately high profile BAME but then again, I'm awfully cynical about anything football these days.

I know what you are saying, about tokenism, but there would be plenty of other managers we've never heard of that could have fulfilled a quota.

More likely he wanted a freebie meal at Woods and added in a quick stadium tour whislt he was around...... :D

Edited by singe

3 minutes ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Off for baby scan with misses all excited about Seedorf goes to tell taxi driver he doesn't like football and no idea who Seedorf is ffs!!!!

Imagine that every day. Wwith the added rider of who? or what League are we in now.