Northampton.

On 09/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, disjointed said:

Well done to RW and his team, we had become a little predictable with our set up so playing the 4-5-1 or as near as damm it certainly caught Northampton out, the 2 lumps at centre half for them were never going to be a match for Byrne playing behind Doyle. It didn't help Doyle playing him as a lone striker but all for the good of the team.

Fane and Gardner were outstanding today and Rob Hunt had his best game for us in a long time, the shape certainly offers more protection to the full backs, you certainly can't argue with the result as much as Northampton were poor.

I've been critical of Hunt this season but I thought he was faultless on Saturday. Solid & didn't give the ball away. Alert to any danger. Ok, Northampton weren't much cop but they got nothing down our left side all game.

Fane...what a player this lad could turn out to be. It's been lovely to watch his progression bit by bit from raw, young lunging in non-league whippet to developing League One player. Neatly adding little strings of the game to his bow. The way he dispossessed their lad in the centre circle in the 1st half and left him for dead was a joy to watch. His ball control is so much better and improving every game. He had the chance to slide a sweet killer pass through for Doyle but misjudged it. If he starts to add this pass to his game also, it won't be long before we're struggling to keep hold of him. But from non-league...his progression over 18mths has been exactly what I'd expect from a real prospect. Fingers crossed he keeps progressing at the rate he is.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Neither of those sides were as bad as Northampton were on Saturday. They didn't have 3 goals in them. In fact, I'd be amazed if they scored 3 goals between now and May. Absolutely shite...

Many said the same about us a few months ago...

5 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I've been critical of Hunt this season but I thought he was faultless on Saturday. Solid & didn't give the ball away. Alert to any danger. Ok, Northampton weren't much cop but they got nothing down our left side all game.

Fane...what a player this lad could turn out to be. It's been lovely to watch his progression bit by bit from raw, young lunging in non-league whippet to developing League One player. Neatly adding little strings of the game to his bow. The way he dispossessed their lad in the centre circle in the 1st half and left him for dead was a joy to watch. His ball control is so much better and improving every game. He had the chance to slide a sweet killer pass through for Doyle but misjudged it. If he starts to add this pass to his game also, it won't be long before we're struggling to keep hold of him. But from non-league...his progression over 18mths has been exactly what I'd expect from a real prospect. Fingers crossed he keeps progressing at the rate he is.

Re Fane I totally agree, from the offset you could see he was raw, but there were glimpses that he could progress given the right coaching/tutoring. Fair to say he has become quite integral to our team and there looks like there could be more to come.

15 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Re Fane I totally agree, from the offset you could see he was raw, but there were glimpses that he could progress given the right coaching/tutoring. Fair to say he has become quite integral to our team and there looks like there could be more to come.

The fact we have a midfielder who gets double marked probably contributes greatly to his composure on the ball. He has so much more time than we had before. That said he’s actually picked some decent passes recently which even with a lot of time he may not have been capable of last year. Clearly a combination of our improvement and his own work. I’m happy for the lad.

7 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

The fact we have a midfielder who gets double marked probably contributes greatly to his composure on the ball. He has so much more time than we had before. That said he’s actually picked some decent passes recently which even with a lot of time he may not have been capable of last year. Clearly a combination of our improvement and his own work. I’m happy for the lad.

.. he's pretty much developed from what was effectively a walking red card to an intergral, dare I say automatic choice, part of our team!  he's seemingly not scared of anything or anyone .. but what a day that would be if he manages to get a goal - certainly nothing more than he rightly deserves! 

That would be great to see .. 

Edited by thetramfixer

28 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

.. he's pretty much developed from what was effectively a walking red card to an intergral, dare I say automatic choice, part of our team!  he's seemingly not scared of anything or anyone .. but what a day that would be if he manages to get a goal - certainly nothing more than he rightly deserves! 

That would be great to see .. 

Get the t-shirts printed in readiness.