Northampton.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done to RW and his team, we had become a little predictable with our set up so playing the 4-5-1 or as near as damm it certainly caught Northampton out, the 2 lumps at centre half for them were never going to be a match for Byrne playing behind Doyle. It didn't help Doyle playing him as a lone striker but all for the good of the team.

Fane and Gardner were outstanding today and Rob Hunt had his best game for us in a long time, the shape certainly offers more protection to the full backs, you certainly can't argue with the result as much as Northampton were poor.

Typical - I had set the alarm to wake me up for the game yesterday, so the alarm went off and I just pressed off and went back to sleep because I was sure the game would be canceled.  

effin 1     :bigcry: :dunce:  :shy:  :sign0007:

I am happy for everyone that saw it ...... No I really am happy, yep happy happy ......  lucky bastards :censored:

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Is there anyone who still thinks Fane shouldn’t be in the team?   

He is clearly growing in confidence, made me laugh when he more or less shoved Byrne out of his way to get to the ball for a driving run, think he was fouled at the end of it!.

Wellens seems to have loosened his reins somewhat.

I’m surprised there’s not more misplaced giddiness at the general direction since Wellens took over. I know we’ll probably finish mid table, which would be great from the start we had. However we’ve been so shit for so long, that any glimmer of hope of doing something (which I think we have) gets me looking at the table. 

Am am I on my own? 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m surprised there’s not more misplaced giddiness at the general direction since Wellens took over. I know we’ll probably finish mid table, which would be great from the start we had. However we’ve been so shit for so long, that any glimmer of hope of doing something (which I think we have) gets me looking at the table. 

Am am I on my own? 

No, I'm giddy as fuck.

Today reminded me of Shez's first spell when we routinely used to put 3 or 4 past the likes of Hereford and didn't get too excited about it. 

Speaks volumes about good we all know we might be that the atmosphere today was appreciative rather than awestruck... 

Not too much to add with what has already been discussed, other than what a classy player Kean Bryan is at Centre Back, he obviously won’t get the limelight as much as the other loanees in Doyle and Byrne, but he really is an integral part of this team and has been a massively important signing.

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Am am I on my own? 

The thing for me is that I am just thoroughly enjoying watching it. It's worth every penny. The best part of my afternoon is no longer my pie. We attack at will with verve and imagination. In Byrne we have a player who is playing a different game to everyone else. I fume when people shout at him not to get too clever and want to say fuck off i want him to be clever!

Was anyone surprised weve won a game 5-1? I wasn't.  Northampton might have been poor but Rochdale Bury and Wimbledon could have had the same. Wellens deserves a lot of credit.

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

If only we’d have got the results we actually deserved against Wimbledon and Gillingham.   Those 4 points could prove costly. We’d be 9th now. 

If's and but's, balance that out with the late winners against the Bastards and the Buckets.

35 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

If only we’d have got the results we actually deserved against Wimbledon and Gillingham.   Those 4 points could prove costly. We’d be 9th now. 

Was going to say that wed be talking up the play offs had we won those 2 even affording a loss at roots hall.

Still 75 points left to play for the top 6 will be beyond us this season. But if we keep this squad together or even add to it then we can look forward to plenty more enjoyable saturday afternoons between now and May and hopefully a top half finish which could put us in a good position going into next season.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Am am I on my own? 

Wellens has been exceptional given the circumstances that he started the job in, but the reasons I'm not giddy about our prospects has nothing to do with him.  Sadly there's no guarantee about the state we'll be in post January on or off the pitch which is dampening my expectations for the season.

That said, what a result today and I'm genuinely excited by the football I'm likely to witness when we head to Plymouth in a fortnight!

1 hour ago, astottie said:

The thing for me is that I am just thoroughly enjoying watching it. It's worth every penny. The best part of my afternoon is no longer my pie. We attack at will with verve and imagination. In Byrne we have a player who is playing a different game to everyone else. I fume when people shout at him not to get too clever and want to say fuck off i want him to be clever!

Was anyone surprised weve won a game 5-1? I wasn't.  Northampton might have been poor but Rochdale Bury and Wimbledon could have had the same. Wellens deserves a lot of credit.

Absolutely magnificent sentence, says so much. Well done sir!

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Wellens has been exceptional given the circumstances that he started the job in, but the reasons I'm not giddy about our prospects has nothing to do with him.  Sadly there's no guarantee about the state we'll be in post January on or off the pitch which is dampening my expectations for the season.

That said, what a result today and I'm genuinely excited by the football I'm likely to witness when we head to Plymouth in a fortnight!

I get your point. (I want Corney to go, or to move on etc etc) But the whole ‘where is club going’ is becoming tiresome for us all and getting away from the main event. Which is, the football is cracking. WE ACTUALLY SCORE GOALS. It’s a bit of buzz to go again.  We might- just might do something. Its been 10 years since we played anything like this. (shez first spell)

I just think the whole point of why we support the team is getting a bit lost in the mystical boardroom drama. 

We’re 16th after an awful start,  we’re 3 points off 9th! ?  Let’s all dream,  or talk bollocks about very slim play off chances. 

Otherwise what’s the point? 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

I get your point. (I want Corney to go, or to move on etc etc) But the whole ‘where is club going’ is becoming tiresome for us all and getting away from the main event. Which is, the football is cracking. WE ACTUALLY SCORE GOALS. It’s a bit of buzz to go again.  We might- just might do something. Its been 10 years since we played anything like this. (shez first spell)

I just think the whole point of why we support the team is getting a bit lost in the mystical boardroom drama. 

We’re 16th after an awful start,  we’re 3 points off 9th! ?  Let’s all dream,  or talk bollocks about very slim play off chances. 

Otherwise what’s the point? 

As I said, I'm genuinely excited about seeing us play this season due to the players we have and the number and quality of the goals we're scoring.  It's so entertaining and Wellens has succeeded where so many managers before him have failed.

But my point wasn't meant to be bashing the club's hierachy, it's more that Wellens has a diffìcult task of either re-signing or replacing Bryan, Byrne and Doyle next month.  Three players who, let's face it, have played as big a part in the entertainment and upturn in form as Wellens has.  If we are continuing the form we're in come the middle of February and the football is as free-flowing then I will be getting giddy about our prospects and thinking that Wellens is the messiah.

I wouldn't put it past him given the job he's done so far, but your initial post asked why we aren't getting more giddy about Wellens and it's because we are hoping it can be sustained rather than just a flash in the pan (see Shez and Dickov's 1st half of their 1st seasons and LJ's 1st half of his 2nd season).

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

But my point wasn't meant to be bashing the club's hierachy, it's more that Wellens has a diffìcult task of either re-signing or replacing Bryan, Byrne and Doyle next month.  Three players who, let's face it, have played as big a part in the entertainment and upturn in form as Wellens has.  If we are continuing the form we're in come the middle of February and the football is as free-flowing then I will be getting giddy about our prospects and thinking that Wellens is the messiah.

I understand your hesitation in not getting overly excited but I have a gut feeling (nothing to do with dodgy kebabs et al) that something positive will happen with at least two of the three assuming the takeover goes through.

Based on nuggets of information from previous posters who may or may not have anything more than tenuous connections:

1) City appear to be very happy with the progress Bryan is making under Wellens that they are interested in extending his loan deal (not that he really has a future at the Etihad).

2) We have supposedly had discussions with Preston to buy Doyle.

These next ones are my bit of guesswork putting two and two together and getting somewhere close to the correct answers 

3) Wigan don't want Byrne but wanted McLaughlin so sound out if a deal could be done. Byrne is playing for a manager that understands him.

4) We've been told Lemsagem is rich but not mega-rich and he's seen what Doyle and Byrne give us on several occasions so itt wouldn't need a massive investment to secure them.

13 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

Northampton were awful, but we played some great football.

Fane did well to keep his head too.

Had a 9 hour round trip yesterday but it was worth it ?

A few observations:

Football superstitions - Richie Wellens spent the first half not wearing a jacket. At the start of the second half, he came out well wrapped up and then promptly discarded the jacket when Northampton scored!

Flynn came on late to shore up the midfield but seemed to have a specific role in calming Fane down. On numerous occasions he would talk to him and reassure.

When he came on, O’Toole for Northampton was more interested in niggling our players than playing football. Aptly named methinks.

Doyle had a tough day playing as a lone striker - but he never stopped running and his movement is first class.

Gerrard, backpass apart, was outstanding.

Placide made two outstanding saves.

Happy daze ?

25 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Had a 9 hour round trip yesterday but it was worth it ?

A few observations:

Football superstitions - Richie Wellens spent the first half not wearing a jacket. At the start of the second half, he came out well wrapped up and then promptly discarded the jacket when Northampton scored!

Flynn came on late to shore up the midfield but seemed to have a specific role in calming Fane down. On numerous occasions he would talk to him and reassure.

When he came on, O’Toole for Northampton was more interested in niggling our players than playing football. Aptly named methinks.

Doyle had a tough day playing as a lone striker - but he never stopped running and his movement is first class.

Gerrard, backpass apart, was outstanding.

Placide made two outstanding saves.

Happy daze ?

The point about Gerrard is a good one, I think in all the euphoria about us netting 5 it kind of got lost just how well he played.