Fleetwood (H)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Gerrard played fine today. The mistakes weren't his. Clarke has been poor this season and I think most would agree that the Gerrard / Clarke partnership is not tenable. For me it is a close run thing as to who partners Bryan. Gerrard got the call and hasn't  done much wrong to justify dropping him. Perhaps Clarke at his age has just lost that bit of edge he had last season. It has got to be more difficult each pre-season in your mid thirties to get back up to full speed.

46 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I wish we’d cross the ball from wide positions more.... gevaro aside, everyone checks and comes back inside. Often crying out for a ball across the box for strikers to attack....! We pass it beautifully, but it’s often in front of the oppositions back 4 and largely ineffective.

I wouldnt say our passing was particularly beautiful today it was poor infact our whole play for the first 70-75 minutes today was abysmal probably as bad as any game Ive seen this season. 

I could call out half the team for how they played today but how Jack Byrne plays in a 4-4-2 worries me. He would obviously prefer to play as a number 10 but hes not always going to be able to do that. So when hes being asked to play right mid he needs to stay there for the balance of the team. Hes often taking the ball off the centre backs toes He doesnt need to do that, he needs to be in position be patient and wait for the play to come to him. Its admirable that he wants to get on the ball but sometimes it would be best if he played on the right hand side of the pitch as him constantly coming central leaves us unbalanced both from an attacking and defensive point of view.

13 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Missed Doyle today but two mistakes cost us the game.Fane played well again and  thought a draw would have been a fairer result.

Still not too concerned and lots of games to go.

Thought  the away support was crap

That was one big bore fest, brought my dad and other family members along for Boxing Day a big get together and what a load of shit, after the twating we got at Plymouth I expected a top showing today how wrong I was!! Plenty of ear ache after for paying £24!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wouldnt say our passing was particularly beautiful.....

the first 70-75 minutes today was abysmal probably as bad as any game Ive seen this season. 

....our ball retention (under Wellens) is as good as at any time since Johnson was manager.

....most games under Sheridan (this season), Rotherham Away particularly, we’re worse.

3 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....our ball retention (under Wellens) is as good as at any time since Johnson was manager.

....most games under Sheridan (this season), Rotherham Away particularly, we’re worse.

Generally it has been you are right but that first 70-75 mins today was awful. Not just the passing but everything about us.

I've enjoyed watching byrne play. BUT, lately he's been far to slow on the ball and playing way too many loose passes, to make up for his inability to put the slightest bit of effort in to defend. So frustrating, just stands off the opponenets and lets them have the ball. Can't imagine the fury that performance would've caused, if it was Banks instead of Byrne. 

Edited by we hate man,u and city to

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

A shot that whistles an inch wide with the keeper stranded is off target. One he can throw his cap in to stop is on target. Meaningless.

Yesterday Watford had one shot on target and scored two goals. Quality balls in dangerous areas is what it's all about.

On reflection I thought that we played about well with it but offered nothing in the final 3rd. Dummigan got a lot of the ball on the right but there was almost zero movement ahead of him so ended up playing it back for Gerrard or Gardener to hoof or forced to play a bit and hope ball across the box which Davies or Holloway didn't read. Neopochino is dreadful as a sub and missed numerous opportunities to play the ball in. Look at Fleetwood's goals, two decent balls in two goals. We seemed to labour over the ball in everytime.  

Holloway and Davies are too similar to play alongside each other we absolutely need a Doyle type player EVERY game and rotate Holloway and Davies.

I know we had a couple of players out for the last two games and the reported illness seems to have left some players low on energy but we played yesterday like a side that found everything difficult. Bristol is a massive game now. Things need to be sorted and quickly. 

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

A shot that whistles an inch wide with the keeper stranded is off target. One he can throw his cap in to stop is on target. Meaningless.

Not sure it's meaningless - if we never have a shot on target, we're never (well, extremely unlikely...) to score....

14 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

I thought Gerrard played fine today. The mistakes weren't his. Clarke has been poor this season and I think most would agree that the Gerrard / Clarke partnership is not tenable. For me it is a close run thing as to who partners Bryan. Gerrard got the call and hasn't  done much wrong to justify dropping him. Perhaps Clarke at his age has just lost that bit of edge he had last season. It has got to be more difficult each pre-season in your mid thirties to get back up to full speed.

Disgree, whilst Byrne/Bryan made the initial mistake for the 2nd goal, Gerrard was stood in the 6 yard box like a lemon, didn't pick up his runner atall, shite shite defending, basics

Still look over reliant on Byrne at times, and too often the attack ends up camped on the edge of the opposition box or lumped to Davies/Holloway, who play with their backs to goal.

Byrne’s hissy fit at Odebayi after about 10 minutes for not passing him the ball was cringe worthy.

41 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

Disgree, whilst Byrne/Bryan made the initial mistake for the 2nd goal, Gerrard was stood in the 6 yard box like a lemon, didn't pick up his runner atall, shite shite defending, basics

Really? Think some try to have a go at AG at every opportunity. He probably thought byrne would grow a pair and stop the runner or block the cross. But, no he let him stroll towards the box but, yeah, we'll blame gerrard. Can't blame the golden boy, can we?