Oxford vs Latics

1 minute ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Moimbe was playing to the boos from the crowd on his way up the tunnel when the bald bloke from Oxford appeared to say something, so Byrne got himself involved in a slight fracas. 

Ah right,  Sticking up for a team mate, no problem with that, plus Robinson although it wasnt him, is still a tool!!

2 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Moimbe was playing to the boos from the crowd on his way up the tunnel when the bald bloke from Oxford appeared to say something, so Byrne got himself involved in a slight fracas. 

I like this guy. Looks to have settled quickly and he’s pretty handy as a player.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

How did Hamer do? 

Hamer played well and looks to have a bit of pace too. The defence in general played well today.

Not a great performance going forward - too many overhit/underhit passes. McEleny is still struggling to get up to speed with league 1 football I think. As was said elsewhere, Holloway should have come on earlier.

Oxford were there for the taking but a point is okay - 492 Latics fans was a great turnout too.

Bring on Walsall.

2 hours ago, deckyd said:

Ah right,  Sticking up for a team mate, no problem with that, plus Robinson although it wasnt him, is still a tool!!

In my minds eye Roy went straight from the commentary box to lay a cable on Robinson's windscreen.

A game which I would have been happy with a point before kick off and the first 20 minutes.At the end a game we could have won  with better officials.

I did not get a view of the first one down at their end but the second was a blatant foul on Hunt in front of the linesman and our fans.Hunt frightly had words with him later on.

Thought our young defenders should be given credit and all played well.

Last 20 mins of the first half and the second half we played a lot better and took the game to them.

Midfield improved and Wellens use of subs did as well.

A lot more effort today compared with Wigan and I'm sure our 500 fans there appreciated today's match.

Puts us in good shape for these last few vital games.

I actually enjoyed today’s game, two evenly matched sides, both tried to win but in the end both defences were better than the forwards

Our back 4 + Jonny were all excellent and it was fantastic to see two of our own youngsters at the back playing so well and I thought Hunt had one of his best games for us. 

Everyone else played ok, Jack endlessly tried to make something happen but it never quite came off and Paaddy Mac looks like he could be a decent player. Unfortunately Doyle up front was too isolated, Tope gives great width but doesn’t actually do anything with the ball and when RW brought on Nazon it was more of the same.....AAH is the one player that seems to change things when he comes on but was only given the last few minutes....as others have said, he should have come on earlier and I think we might have won

Overall,  a fair draw and we move on but I am less and less convinced Wellens gets the best out of  this squad

Well I’m hoping that will turn out to be a useful point towards safety, but everything is a bit stuck in limbo at the moment.

It was a fair result in my opinion, both teams had one great opportunity each which was scrambled away, both teams showed glimpses of quality but for the most part it was very nervy and, as my girlfriend put it, uninspiring.

Placide – a fantastic stop on the goal line in the 2nd half, solid otherwise with a few risky moves that he pulled off.

Hunt – good performance, decent at the back and supportive going forward.  Had a stonewall penalty appeal turned down.  Difficult angle for the ref but unforgivable that linesman didn’t see it.
Edmundson – was worried about him not being experience enough for this relegation battle and even more worried when he was the more experienced of the centre backs!  But full credit to him he didn’t put a foot wrong and looked the part at this level.  Really hope he kicks on from this.
Bryan – not much he could do before going off injured.
Moimbe – clearly a good player for this level.  A bit lucky with the high boot not being a red, in no way was it intentional but it was late and a bit reckless.  Worth a contract for next season.

Fane – he is what he is.  Powerful, athletic and good at breaking up play.  Terrible on the ball.  Surrounded by the right players he’s fine.
Gardner – good enough but barely.  While he doesn’t really put a tackle in, he’s good to have late in the game when defending the counter attack because he’s strong and athletic enough to cover.  Going forward he’s decent on the ball (see the ball to Hunt for the stonewall pen) but Byrne often puts him to shame.  If we are going to push up the league next season then I’m not sure he should be first choice.

Obadeyi – I can see why Wellens picked him as it kept the balance of the team right and he wasn’t a liability in defence, but sadly he isn’t good enough and I doubt he’ll be here next season.
Byrne – Doyle is our most important player but I find it a pleasure to watch players like Byrne.  Sadly today he dropped too deep for the position he was meant to be in which left Doyle a bit stranded up front on his own.  Unlucky with the shot blocked on the line as he did pretty much everything right.
McEleney – there’s clearly a player in there.  He has the close control, vision and drive to be a good attacking midfielder and did a good job helping Moimbe and then Hunt.  But unfortunately he’s not up to speed with this level yet and I’m surprised he stayed on for the full 90.

Doyle – I would’ve taken McEleney off for Doyle late on, even though Doyle was pretty ineffective due to Byrne and McEleney dropping a bit deeper and Obadeyi being wasteful.  But with Holloway coming on you keep your goal poacher on the pitch, no matter how they’ve played so far.

Subs:
Hamer – Is he 17?  Didn’t look like it on that showing.  2 dominant headers in the first half, a crucial tackle in the second and not being a liability in any way is very impressive for a league debut.  Was a toss up between him and Edmundson but because it was his debut he was my MotM.

The Duck – clearly he’d been told to get the ball out of his feet and just run by Wellens.  He will be hit and miss but his pace with always be a danger to the opposition defence.  If we play the same formation on Wednesday I’d start him on the left and get him to cut inside.

Holloway – didn’t have much time but was a nuisance for the time he was on.

Wellens – he set up the team in exactly the way I would’ve done.  Poor play in the final third let us down rather than bad tactics.  It would be a failure if we went down but if we stay up I’d happily give him the chance to show what he can do next season.

Oxford – a bit non-descript really.  Played in a similar way to us, I reckon with players like Mousinho at the back and Thomas and Obika up front they’ll have enough to stay up, but like us if they don’t win either of their next 2 home games then they’ll be right in the thick of it.

We clearly have it in us to win the rest of the games we play this season, but the next 2 give us a great opportunity to gain some breathing room ahead of Rochdale.  I think the shape of the team worked well yesterday but hopefully Doyle will get more support against Walsall.  Either by Byrne playing closer to him or with a change in personell.

Edit:  While Hunt's in the 2nd half was a definite pen, I thought Moimbe's in the first half was borderline but he probably went down too easily.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
Added a bit about Moimbe.

15 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Byrne – Doyle is our most important player but I find it a pleasure to watch players like Byrne.  Sadly today he dropped too deep for the position he was meant to be in which left Doyle a bit stranded up front on his own.  Unlucky with the shot blocked on the line as he did pretty much everything right.
McEleney – there’s clearly a player in there.  He has the close control, vision and drive to be a good attacking midfielder and did a good job helping Moimbe and then Hunt.  But unfortunately he’s not up to speed with this level yet and I’m surprised he stayed on for the full 90.

For me, you’ve summed up Byrne very succinctly- he lacks discipline in sticking to the position where he is best. He has real talent but I can see why Richie gets frustrated with him.

McEleny - as I posted earlier he is still struggling to come to terms with League 1. I too would have taken him off late on.

28 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Gardner – good enough but barely.  While he doesn’t really put a tackle in, he’s good to have late in the game when defending the counter attack because he’s strong and athletic enough to cover.  Going forward he’s decent on the ball (see the ball to Hunt for the stonewall pen) but Byrne often puts him to shame.  If we are going to push up the league next season then I’m not sure he should be first choice.

This is about right on Gardner. He begun the season as the pick of the midfield, which admittedly wasn’t difficult, but nevertheless he was excellent. I feel that he’s somebody who is either very hot or very cold, and there’s little inbetween, which is not ideal when Fane has such a consistently glaring deficiency to his game. Since that start he’s relied more on the tricky little Cruyff turns and less on the incisive passing which made him look nifty on the ball.

I’d like to see him replaced by an older head. Somebody who will perform at a 7/10 (hopefully better) each week and consistently feed the attackers, which should discipline Byrne into staying where he's meant to be

Edited by NewBlue

And then there were six in the relegation mix.  Those on 47 should get clear.

Two games stand out for me - Rochdale and Northampton both away.  Win those we stay up, lose and they might be the two of the six to escape.