If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

I would have gladly cleared his desk out over the weekend but having had time to reflect, I don't think it's a bad thing giving him a crack at getting us back up. I suspect a few others on here would vote differently too, now that the dust has settled.

It's all very well comparing his situation to that of Bowyer at Blackpool but don't forget, Bowyer had already managed over a hundred games at Blackburn under the Venky's, so I'd say he's better prepared than most when it comes to dealing with off-field nonsense.

It's a fair point you make, & I wasn't directly comparing him but highlighting what he needs to done, but it's good to highlight Bowyer has done it twice now so that shows what RW can learn from.

I think he needs an experienced assistant and someone with experience of deflecting the off the field stuff will be even more a benefit..

Let's hope it's all announced, resolved and we can get behind him.

1 hour ago, singe said:

It's a fair point you make, & I wasn't directly comparing him but highlighting what he needs to done, but it's good to highlight Bowyer has done it twice now so that shows what RW can learn from.

I think he needs an experienced assistant and someone with experience of deflecting the off the field stuff will be even more a benefit..

The sooner an experienced number two is appointed the better it should be the first signing on the agenda. Wellens and the new assistant can then work on getting a few quality players of good attitude into the club. 

1 hour ago, singe said:

There were dozens of schoolboy errors made last season, some with big repercussions and some with smaller ones. In the end, all of these seem to have been critical, in the sense that one less bullet in our own foot would have been enough for us to limp over the line (e.g. the last minute penalty by Moimbe when he wasn't even near the ball). However, in all of this, Paul F'in Jewell deserves a special mention - to accept the job and then bail out so quickly was a really shit move, and it seemed to damage performance. It can't have helped with morale and stability when Wellens et al were struggling as it is in a turbulent environment. And he has history as well, having apparently done the same thing at WBA 3 years earlier (he only lasted one week there, according to Wikipedia). What a total twat. 

Interesting that the statement didn't provide an explicit statement on the manager's future.

He states that the manager was backed in January and that there will now be a thorough review of all aspects of the club.

If his job was definitely safe, I would have expected it to be confirmed in the statement. I suspect  the Chairman might still be thinking about it.

"Experienced Assistant" lads.... 

Talk us through this constantly re-occurring piece of OWTB gospel.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but we've had numerous "experienced assistants" throughout our years of being shit in League One, not to mention those times we were relegated from the Premier League and the second tier. We've also had loads of inexperienced assistants during whose stints with the club we've produced pretty much exactly the same result of being shit in League One. 

What am I missing here? 

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but we've had numerous "experienced assistants" throughout our years of being shit in League One, not to mention those times we were relegated from the Premier League and the second tier. We've also had loads of inexperienced assistants during whose stints with the club we've produced pretty much exactly the same result of being shit in League One. 

What am I missing here? 

And Willie Donachie, who was inexperienced as a coach / assistant but very successful. 

12 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

What am I missing here? 

Can't think who was Joe's assistant manager from 1982 -1984 who showed him the ropes..was it Harvey?

Those first two years in his education might have been vital.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Can't think who was Joe's assistant manager from 1982 -1984 who showed him the ropes..was it Harvey?

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Bill Taylor sadly passed away in ‘84 

31 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

And Willie Donachie, who was inexperienced as a coach / assistant but very successful. 

But by that time, Joe wasn't a rookie and had 2 seasons and nigh 100 games under his belt, and the shitstorm RW has had. totally different era of course.

A Tommy Wright type to Lee Johnson, who was experienced as Asst Mgr with us before Johnson.

Edited by singe

2 hours ago, singe said:

Mr Bowyer a very big fan of Chris Taylor. Kit may clash with his hair mind.

I agree with a few others, wanted him gone with 3 games to go but now we are a bit calmer back Wellens as he knows the owner and how he operates. 

43 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

What about somebody like Andy Ritchie as assistant? Would he even be interested?

I had a long chat with Andy Ritchie when I went to an event. It as during the time wellens was caretaker. He said he thought Richie should still be playing and would do a job on the pitch for us. He had nothing but good to say about the club and was clearly very passionate. Wether he would want to do it is another thing. 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

I solely blame wellens for religation! I think we could easily do better! But....: wellens or a French coach who knows nothing about league 2, I’d have to say I prefer wellens

Still bitter about Sheridan walking???

1 hour ago, Clifford said:

Mr Bowyer a very big fan of Chris Taylor. Kit may clash with his hair mind.

I agree with a few others, wanted him gone with 3 games to go but now we are a bit calmer back Wellens as he knows the owner and how he operates. 

Speaking of Taylor anyone know why he didnt play for anyone this season?

Edited by dannyboy55555

23 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Speaking of Taylor anyone know why he didnt play for anyone this season?

He showed very little desire to play football for the team he supports which in itself would tell you he seemed to of lost heart with the game.

Taylor was treated badly at Bolton. Hasn't been allowed to kick a ball all year. Literally.

Club would not let him out on loan. 

Offered to pay him off on deadline week, night of the deadline day they halved the offer and he rightly refused. Original offer he agreed wasn't near the full amount in the first place.

He has been only allowed to train, on his own, for an hour a day in the gym. That is for basically the whole of the season.

He loves Latics and is gutted he wasn't fully fit when he came. I would have him back compared to some of the mercenary wankers we have had this season. Blackpool will be hard to turn down given he likes the manager. 

3 hours ago, Clifford said:

Taylor was treated badly at Bolton. Hasn't been allowed to kick a ball all year. Literally.

Club would not let him out on loan. 

Offered to pay him off on deadline week, night of the deadline day they halved the offer and he rightly refused. Original offer he agreed wasn't near the full amount in the first place.

He has been only allowed to train, on his own, for an hour a day in the gym. That is for basically the whole of the season.

He loves Latics and is gutted he wasn't fully fit when he came. I would have him back compared to some of the mercenary wankers we have had this season. Blackpool will be hard to turn down given he likes the manager. 

Who's fault was it that he wasn't fully fit........he's supposed to be a professional. He had 16 matches to get his sh*t together and didn't contribute anything during this spell. He's a player that relied on pace in his formative years and at 31, that went a long time ago. Signing him would be a backward step......no thank you.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Sorted?

They know nothing more than we do based on that article...we’re missing a dedicated reporter who reports on Oldham and chases the truth and asks difficult questions! Aka...a matt chambers type reporter. 

52 minutes ago, super_blue said:

They know nothing more than we do based on that article...we’re missing a dedicated reporter who reports on Oldham and chases the truth and asks difficult questions! Aka...a matt chambers type reporter. 

I like Matt but asking difficult questions wasn't his thing.