If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t want any Oldham manager to fail. However,  I do think a lot people have come round to the idea that if a manager isn’t cutting the mustard, we should be able to talk about it, without the insinuation that we’re being negative.

You have to call as it is. 

I actually think we are quite an easy bunch to please- because we are so starved of success. Show ANY sign of even looking half decent and we start to have blind optimism. 

Unfortunately that isn’t the case. Again. 

I agree.

Will you be changing your username if we go down?

10 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

I’ve never known us to give teams 1 and 2 nil head starts within the first 15 to 20 minutes of a game so many times in one season before. When Shez was here at the start of the season I put it down to the inept goalkeepers, Wilson and Ruddy. But worryingly this has continued during Wellens’ tenure and could ultimately cost us our league one status.

The goalkeeper we got now is still in that category for me. He makes a few decent saves and kicks well but he also throws it in his net virtually. I’ve seen some goals I thought he’d done well to get out of the way of. 

Now, of course I’m not putting all this blame on the GK because the players around him are not great either. We are IMO a very poor side with a couple/few good players. But not enough of them. 

I think the writings on the wall for Wellens what sort of deal did he sign when given the job ? If we stay up it will be due to other teams being worse than us no improvement what so ever over the last 6 games we’ve been awful in every one, the team look like they don’t have a clue what to do hence the long ball, shame really as Wellens is a likeable character simular to Shez was great when he first took over we was playing quality stuff but obviously has no plan B and looks like the players have lost faith in him, he might make it in the game, if we stay up will Abdullah give him a chance to start a fresh in the summer ? Big decision to make but I think Abdullah will be bringing his own man in probably a forgien coach 

2 minutes ago, Owl said:

I have not liked him as a manager from day one, I think he is tactically inept he can't motivate players. He is absolutely clueless 

From day one?  Really?  What was it something like six consecutive wins? I see you've made three posts; might be worth making the next three a bit better.

Edited by Dave_Og

23 minutes ago, Owl said:

I have not liked him as a manager from day one, I think he is tactically inept he can't motivate players. He is absolutely clueless 

I am his biggest fan... but I’m now waivering - if you didn’t want him appointing from “day one” considering his results after that I suggest you follow a new sport 

Thought Wellens picked a side with more balance today, wasn’t sure what he was thinking at first but could see as game went on it was a 4-4-2 with a diamond in mlidfield with Gardner at the base and Byrne at tip

didnt create a lot but kept a clean sheet 

benyu looked like he hadn’t played for a while which he hasn’t but offers more forward impetus than Fane 

gardner worked his arse off and thought Pringle was ok, would have kept him on and took benyu off but Byrne not tracking back probably swayed Wellens into taking him off 

some folk calling for him to be sacked before Northampton game are retarded, we lost our first five games and were awful I’d have given my right arm to be in this position after that start 

Thought Wellens we the right choice at the time but as time has gone on its becoming more of a bad choice.

Tactically inept and suffers from stubbornness that then highlights the ineptness . He also appears to have become arrogant from what was honest assessments to now blaming others and offering excuses.

It's now become clearly a case of can others keep us in league one because we are now incapable of winning a game.

Also think that Wellens has never accepted we are in a relegation battle until this week and it was too late.

Over the last 4 home games he can't see that Nazon  & Doyle doesn't work but his stubbornness won't allow him to change it.

He's got to go back to a similar line up to the Northampton home game and get more forward momentum from midfield. We scored 5 in that game and Doyle didn't get on the score sheet.

Let's hope that Charlton do the job for us.

Personally I’d stick with RW next season no matter what division we are in.

The club needs some stability and continuity.

He’s a rookie manager who took over the club when they were in a desperate situation and were rock bottom of the league.

He will be honest enough to say that he’s made mistakes but he’s new to the job for goodness sake! Of course he’s going to make mistakes.

He wasn’t helped by the transfer embargo fiasco in January and Paul Jewell let him down badly as well.

He deserves a proper crack at it next season with a strengthened squad, and an experienced assistant manager alongside him.

1 minute ago, NewBlue said:

Do you think Eoin Doyle and Jack Byrne were cheap?

Most teams in our division have players that cost as much as them some already relegated. For example  in terms of financial clout we are well behind Bury who started the season with a seasoned and previously successful manager.