If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

We've won three league games since mid-December. I'm not sure continuity is that appealing.

I meant stability and continuity instead of changing the manager every season along with half the playing staff.

Or change things again with no guarantee of success again, and a complete overhaul  of the players again.

Same old, same old.

Give the guy a chance, he’s not even had one full season in the job yet!

He’s had to learn the ropes as he’s gone along, manage through the transfer embargo, and all without an experienced assistant manager.

Give him a full pre-season, with financial backing to strengthen the squad, and an experienced assistant alongside him, then judge him after that.

2 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Personally I’d stick with RW next season no matter what division we are in.

The club needs some stability and continuity.

He’s a rookie manager who took over the club when they were in a desperate situation and were rock bottom of the league.

He will be honest enough to say that he’s made mistakes but he’s new to the job for goodness sake! Of course he’s going to make mistakes.

He wasn’t helped by the transfer embargo fiasco in January and Paul Jewell let him down badly as well.

He deserves a proper crack at it next season with a strengthened squad, and an experienced assistant manager alongside him.

He’s had more than enough time my eyes... How anyone can defend he performances from December onwards might just be clinically insane. 

1 hour ago, laticsmarra said:

Most teams in our division have players that cost as much as them some already relegated. For example  in terms of financial clout we are well behind Bury who started the season with a seasoned and previously successful manager.

Before the Southend game Wellens was looking like he might have been about to lead us on a Huddersfield style unbeaten run. ?

5 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

He’s had more than enough time my eyes... How anyone can defend he performances from December onwards might just be clinically insane. 

Anyone who thought Kusunga was a god might just be clinically insane though! ???

6 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

Most teams in our division have players that cost as much as them some already relegated. For example  in terms of financial clout we are well behind Bury who started the season with a seasoned and previously successful manager.

So we’re financially competitive then and do in fact have money?

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He knows...

I don’t dispute what you are saying, as you are usually correct, but it seems stupid that he would know, surely that is a negative for us. Whilst I think it’s the correct decision, I would like to think he’s the sort of bloke who won’t just think oh fuck it and not be arsed. He’ll want to stay involved in the game and having a relagation on your CV is never good.

11 minutes ago, daniel said:

I don’t dispute what you are saying, as you are usually correct, but it seems stupid that he would know, surely that is a negative for us. Whilst I think it’s the correct decision, I would like to think he’s the sort of bloke who won’t just think oh fuck it and not be arsed. He’ll want to stay involved in the game and having a relagation on your CV is never good.

We hope

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

His problem is the current players don't match an ideal team formation. If he brings in his own players next season to fit the shape he wants things could improve.

I'ts a fair point. Just not sure Wellens actually knows his own ideal team formation!!

9 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Personally I’d stick with RW next season no matter what division we are in.

The club needs some stability and continuity.

He’s a rookie manager who took over the club when they were in a desperate situation and were rock bottom of the league.

He will be honest enough to say that he’s made mistakes but he’s new to the job for goodness sake! Of course he’s going to make mistakes.

He wasn’t helped by the transfer embargo fiasco in January and Paul Jewell let him down badly as well.

He deserves a proper crack at it next season with a strengthened squad, and an experienced assistant manager alongside him.

Let's not forgot he's worked under the usual set of shit circumstances, albeit a slightly different brand of shit this time round. 

If Abdallah's going to spend a bit more than we've been used to and do our business early enough for us to go into the season properly organised & ready for the first time in years I'd like to see how Wellens does. 

If the circus is going to continue we need to roll the dice again to see if we can finally find a manager who can produce a miracle despite the ongoing shitshow. 

23 hours ago, Ryan said:

Shocking post-match interview. Proper arrogant twat isn’t he...

Why?

He was right about the boo-ing when Byrne came off.

He'd been poor again and RW explained in even more detail why he'd come off and what he was supposed to have been doing that he wasn't.

I also liked the insight into the players wondering what was going on and needing 5 minutes to settle again. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Why?

He was right about the boo-ing when Byrne came off.

He'd been poor again and RW explained in even more detail why he'd come off and what he was supposed to have been doing that he wasn't.

I also liked the insight into the players wondering what was going on and needing 5 minutes to settle again. 

I like the way he talks about the game, he always sounds very insightful. 

Its just a shame that doesn’t translate to the important bit- getting results.

2 hours ago, daniel said:

He seemed passionate yesterday.  I think professional pride will make him do his best for us.  That's how it works, that's why employers piss off employees and still the empoyees give their best - PRIDE, whatever walk of life you are in.

Edited by frizzell54

19 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He is off. Wouldn't surprise me if we announce his sacking straight after the Northampton game, regardless of the result...

19 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He knows...

I think it a shame because on balance I've enjoyed listening to Wellens in his pre/post match interviews over the season and given the right time & support I think he might prove to be a decent manager & coach. I think he's been one of the most lucid and illuminating orators, even in his dulcet Manc idiosyncratic tones, we've had in some years. Maybe even better than Lee Johnson was.

Nonetheless, if Lemsagam - as might be reasonable to expect - has been planning to do this for some time, then I hope whoever he has in mind has been watching our games - either live, on tape, or both - for equally as long, so they already know enough about us to have a clear idea about what to work on on the 1st day of pre-season.

One might also assume that said individual will be a modern day coach, as opposed to a manager, with little influence over transfer dealings, as the procession of 'French lads' begins yet another intake. I therefore hope Lemsagam has learnt enough from his exploits this season. If we're starting Maouche and Omrani in centre mid and Walter Zenga as coach - or equivalent - on the opening game of next, we might be looking back on this one with fondness.

Edited by lookersstandandy

18 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I think it a shame because on balance I've enjoyed listening to Wellens in his pre/post match interviews over the season and given the right time & support I think he might prove to be a decent manager & coach. I think he's been one of the most lucid and illuminating orators, even in his dulcet Manc idiosyncratic tones, we've had in some years. Maybe even better than Lee Johnson was.

Nonetheless, if Lemsagam - as might be reasonable to expect - has been planning to do this for some time, then I hope whoever he has in mind has been watching our games - either live, on tape, or both - for equally as long, so they already know enough about us to have a clear idea about what to work on on the 1st day of pre-season.

One might also assume that said individual will be a modern day coach, as opposed to a manager, with little influence over transfer dealings, as the procession of 'French lads' begins yet another intake. I therefore hope Lemsagam has learnt enough from his exploits this season. If we're starting Maouche and Omrani in centre mid and Walter Zenga as coach - or equivalent - on the opening game of next, we might be looking back on this one with fondness.

Love the fact that our future "modern day coach" will have been watching our games on "tape" 

? made me chuckle mate!