If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Although I think Fane is a runner disguised as a footballer I think Deyres42 has a point here. Fane has more attributes managers look for than Gardner. We signed Gardner on a free but had to pay £50k for Fane. 

It's a sign of the culture in English football and that culture is why we've not done much internationally in 28 years. 

£50 effing K?

:blind:They saw us bleeding coming.

6 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Although I think Fane is a runner disguised as a footballer I think Deyres42 has a point here. Fane has more attributes managers look for than Gardner. We signed Gardner on a free but had to pay £50k for Fane. 

It's a sign of the culture in English football and that culture is why we've not done much internationally in 28 years. 

But Gardner was out of contract RM, Fane wasn't.

Guest Stanley30
2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Go on, I'll bite. Why?

He’s done a belting job at Carlisle and looks to implement a long term which we’ve not had for ages 

1 minute ago, Stanley30 said:

He’s done a belting job at Carlisle and looks to implement a long term which we’ve not had for ages 

I'd guess tht at every home game there are at least half a dozen managers from other clubs scouting or whatever.

He wouldn’t be my first choice but he’s done a decent job at Carlisle under difficult circumstances. The supporters attitude towards their owners/board is toxic to say the least!

He saved them from relegation and has made steady progress since.Check their forum as none have a bad word for him and are genuinely sorry to see him go.

They’re going to give him a good send off after the last home game and it’s not often that happens.

If we can’t lure/afford a manager with a good track record perhaps as an alternative it wouldn’t be such a bad appointment.

Edited by oafc1955

2 hours ago, opinions4u said:

I don't think I've ever known a manager make so many excuses for failure before a team has officially failed.

TBF Dave he is in his 1st managerial job, hopefully he will learn from this. Would I want him as manager next season I'm not sure, I like Wellens and if he can learn from his mistakes (which there have been quite a few IMO) he could make a decent career later down the line as a manager.

Must say that I don’t really buy the Wellens “it’s his first job” argument. Why not give the job to me or anyone if we are ok with them being crap. I could take us straight to the Evo-Stick Premier, but might get a promotion from there after 5 years.

Sticking to tactics that don’t work and putting Byrne out wide (wrong) is all obvious stuff, he is an inexperienced manager, but he is experienced at football.

It is time to continue to get behind the team, but play  a sensible team selection please RW! If it is obvious to us...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, opinions4u said:

I don't think I've ever known a manager make so many excuses for failure before a team has officially failed.

Which in turn feeds the players ready made excuses, strange because you would never of attributed that weakness of his to him when he was a player. 

11 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

It’s not a healthy mindset for sure..

How many games have we started so slow and sluggish..

I’ve never known us to give teams 1 and 2 nil head starts within the first 15 to 20 minutes of a game so many times in one season before. When Shez was here at the start of the season I put it down to the inept goalkeepers, Wilson and Ruddy. But worryingly this has continued during Wellens’ tenure and could ultimately cost us our league one status.

Edited by johnafoafc
Grammar

I don’t want any Oldham manager to fail. However,  I do think a lot people have come round to the idea that if a manager isn’t cutting the mustard, we should be able to talk about it, without the insinuation that we’re being negative.

You have to call as it is. 

I actually think we are quite an easy bunch to please- because we are so starved of success. Show ANY sign of even looking half decent and we start to have blind optimism. 

Unfortunately that isn’t the case. Again. 

• Like 1