Most important game in recent history?

So we've somehow made it to the last day, of what has been a mostly woeful season, with our fate still in our own (well Wellens') hands.

My first Latics game was 40 years ago...the Anglo Scotish Cup final V Burnley in 1978...which we lost 4-0 of course....yet somehow Latics had me hooked!

Since that day I have never seen my club play in the 4th tier of English football. 

I've seen us get smashed 3-0 at home to Orient on a freezing Feb nights in front of barely 2000 supporters, and been lucky enough to be around during the pinch me years, watching that unbelievable bunch of players destroy most things in front of them. And nothing will ever compare to seeing "that" penalty kick go in!

However, I feel next Saturdays game is probably more important than anything in the previous 40 years, in respect to the future of our club.

Some say going down may do us good? Nothing could be further from the truth in my opinion.

Yes, occasionally it does re-galvanize a club and they prosper, but rarely a club of our status. Those that do OK and bounce back successfully usually have a very rich benefactor, a rich history, or a sparkly new stadium...none of which we are lucky enough to possess.

I don't need to quote examples of clubs similar to ours in fan base, and stature, who once relegated to the 4th tier simply carried on falling. Just look at the National League clubs and below and it's self explanatory.

We can only hope we somehow manage to win our first away game for some time next week, and start again from scratch next year. I do believe we have the foundation of a team that can challenge in league one next season with some smart additions and more importantly an experienced manager.

I've made no secret over the last 3 months of my views on Wellens not being up to the task and unfortunately the proof is in the pudding.

However he and the team will have my full support at Northampton (from the home stand!) and hope we can somehow maintain our League 1 status.

We have some of the most amazing and passionate fans in the game - mates who support other clubs, and who have attended games with me over the years cannot believe the numbers who travel, and we deserve better than League 2 football and possibly worse to follow. Lets not fuck this up next weekend.

KTF, Londonboy.

• Like 1

As a young kid and after just being relegated from the Prem, I remember my dad consoling me with “don’t worry, son - we’ll be back stronger next year”.

20+ years later and where are we?

Everybody saying if we go down it’ll be a good thing are deluded, once we’re on slippery slope through leagues then all bets are off with where we’ll end up!

The first season I watched latics we had to apply for re-election in the 4th  division.

I have seen us rise to the premier league & nearly back.

The 4th division was a whole lot different in those days, double figure gates,  free flowing football & goals.  I don't want to see us back there because I can see us doing a Chesterfield with no re-election to save us.

I just hope that Wellens luckily gets it right for next Saturday then goes but I think that it will inevitably come down to what Charlton do.

3 hours ago, losesome said:

The first season I watched latics we had to apply for re-election in the 4th  division.

I have seen us rise to the premier league & nearly back.

The 4th division was a whole lot different in those days, double figure gates,  free flowing football & goals.  I don't want to see us back there because I can see us doing a Chesterfield with no re-election to save us.

I just hope that Wellens luckily gets it right for next Saturday then goes but I think that it will inevitably come down to what Charlton do.

Unlike last day salvation in 1999 and 2005 I don't see this being a game we will win, as you say Charlton's approach to the 'Dale game will be key.

The match between Scunny and Plymouth on Tuesday is vital for us as will dictate Charlton's needs.

I desperately want to be wrong, and maybe I’m just preparing for the worst. 

But I still think we are done for. 

3 reasons. 

1. We are limping over the line, and desperation has kicked in. 

2. Dale are on a good run, and momentum is everything at this stage. 

3. Mentality.  Hill will be saying ‘what have you have got to lose?’ Ritchie will be saying, you don’t deserve to go down - just relax. One is hungry, one is complacent. 

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

3 reasons. 

3. Mentality.  Hill will be saying ‘what have you have got to lose?’ Ritchie will be saying, you don’t deserve to go down - just relax. One is hungry, one is complacent. 

They've got 7 points from their last 7 games, having played five of them at home... interesting definition of momentum.

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

3 reasons. 

Just had a look at Dale’s recent form, 7 points from 7 games. They’ve had 5 home games and drawn 4 and lost 1. Slightly better than our 6 point from 7 games. We are limping along and like I said in another thread if we stay up it’ll be by default. No doubt Hill will fire his players up and will probably do a better job of it than RW. I just hope Charlton arrive at spotland fired up too knowing a playoff spot is at stake.

4 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

They've got 7 points from their last 7 games, having played five of them at home... interesting definition of momentum.

You beat me to it. They’ve won one in their last seven, a 1-0 at Peterborough. And Peterborough battered them that day.

15 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Yeah. Fair comment. 

I was thinking more of their form over the last 2 months. 

At one point they were 8/9 points off safety - albeit with 5 games in hand because of their pitch. IMO they were dead buried a while back, and to take it to the last day from their position is a fantastic fight back. That’s shows character, leadership, and bottle. 

Do we have those qualities?

We’ll see. (God I hope so) 

What anyone else does has no bearing on our result against Northampton.

Our mindset should be:

Win and we survive.

Anything other than that and we go down.

Logically, anything other than the above becomes far too complicated and creates confusion and uncertainty.

Keep it simple. WIN.

Our most important game in recent history and I will be 35000 feet up in the air on a 15 hour flight not having access to the Internet. I don't know how I will cope.

However it is in our hands. Win and we don't have to care what happens in other games. We are not hopeless away from home, so we are in with a shout of a win.

I look forward to getting off that plane and giving a scream of joy at the baggage carousel.

4 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

What anyone else does has no bearing on our result against Northampton.

Our mindset should be:

Win and we survive.

Anything other than that and we go down.

Logically, anything other than the above becomes far too complicated and creates confusion and uncertainty.

Keep it simple. WIN.

Not that complicated equal or better Rochdale results. Even loss could see us safe 

All of a sudden some think that Keith Hill is some sort of wonder manager. Ask the Rochdale fans and you will get a similar attitude to him as we are getting for Richie Wellens. It's about what happens on the day in both games end of. Our situation is the culmination of the years of short termism in the way the club has been run. Remember we have had no money and Wellens has had to work with what he inherited and what we could afford as did Sheridan and he walked away from it.

Why is Pep at City ? Simple access to vast sums of money to buy players,no doubt he is a good coach but he would struggle without the money.

whybdid Wigan and Blackburn get promoted ? Not wonder managers Paul Cook and Tony Mowbray but biggest player budgets.

What we badly need is Plymouth to beat Scunthorpe on Tuesday. That will mean Charlton will need a victory to ensure a playoff spot and will be looking to score goals at Rochdale as Plymouth and their goal difference is broadly similar. 

Of course, really the other permutation is for us to pull our finger out and do it ourselves! 

My worry is Northampton. They dont have bad players, who sinve JFH left have improved when they were as good as down. Yesterday was a tense must win game, sounded like they played well & got caught on the break throwing men forward at the end.

I worry that they'll play with freedom & be up for it. The could down tools, but I doubt it.

13 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

Our most important game in recent history and I will be 35000 feet up in the air on a 15 hour flight not having access to the Internet. I don't know how I will cope.

However it is in our hands. Win and we don't have to care what happens in other games. We are not hopeless away from home, so we are in with a shout of a win.

I look forward to getting off that plane and giving a scream of joy at the baggage carousel.

You need to fly Virgin Australia mate. I watched the Wimbledon game on my way to Perth from Brisbane!

11 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

All of a sudden some think that Keith Hill is some sort of wonder manager. Ask the Rochdale fans and you will get a similar attitude to him as we are getting for Richie Wellens. It's about what happens on the day in both games end of. Our situation is the culmination of the years of short termism in the way the club has been run. Remember we have had no money and Wellens has had to work with what he inherited and what we could afford as did Sheridan and he walked away from it.

Why is Pep at City ? Simple access to vast sums of money to buy players,no doubt he is a good coach but he would struggle without the money.

whybdid Wigan and Blackburn get promoted ? Not wonder managers Paul Cook and Tony Mowbray but biggest player budgets.

Would you have Keith Hill? 

11 hours ago, pukka said:

My worry is Northampton. They dont have bad players, who sinve JFH left have improved when they were as good as down. Yesterday was a tense must win game, sounded like they played well & got caught on the break throwing men forward at the end.

I worry that they'll play with freedom & be up for it. The could down tools, but I doubt it.

I share your sentiments.They will be playing  for contract  extentions etc and have nothing to lose.They are mainly a big physical side who will try to out muscle our young defenders. Wellens has got to get our players in the right frame of mind and up for a hard game .I don't want to see anything like the first half at home to Southend or the first half performance of players like Benyu last Saturday.If any player is not up to giving their all for our survival  then leave them out .I want fighters not quitters on Saturday and  a long overdue away win to secure our first division status.

Some points for Sat-

Northampton will be a totally different team to the one at BP.

Also relegated teams are dangerous to play as all the fear has gone.

Dale will have their main man back in Henderson.

Charlton may only need a draw,  depending on Tues.

Latics haven't won since Easter Monday.

Teams starting Nor have relegated us the last 3 times

My heart tells me Latics win 3-0 & all's well.

Head tells me Dale 0-0 latics lose 1-0.

Let's hope my heart rules my head. 

Edited by losesome

20 hours ago, League one forever said:

3 reasons. 

1. Agree

2. Disagree

3. You can't possibly know.