Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

If you read the post it suggests that this may not be the season we push for promotion with the alleged hidden debts Abdallah has inherited.

Keep seeing this posted. If it’s true Abdallah needs to sue Corney.

7 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

So if we don't invest in more players it's because the owner doesn't want promotion? 

This is why Ive stopped posting as much on here. Same shit, different day. 

Well nothing he has done since May suggests it is on his agenda.

Fans won't put up with floating around in mid table in this league for long.

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

Maybe he hasn't enough money left to finance it. Lawyers are expensive.

Struggle to believe that he’s suddenly all out of cash when just a few months ago we were splashing out over 11k a week on a loan winger. Poor budgeting if so.

5 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

If you read the post it suggests that this may not be the season we push for promotion with the alleged hidden debts Abdallah has inherited.

I fully understand this point but we've gone from paying several players 4, 6 or 8k a week to looking for relative unknowns and kids who we will be lucky to be paying a grand a week for as well as the loans. Surely there should be room in the budget for a player or two?

The optimist in me is thinking the plan is to get to the January window with minimum outlay, pick up the points we need to stay in the top half and touching distance of playoffs then reassess the squad and financial situation then.  In the meantime the club is run on a more sound financial footing which should help working through the issues of his own doing, and those hanging over from the previous regime.

That should all be achievable with the squad we've got now.  So if we don't strengthen massively today I won't be slitting my wrists, as much as I'd love some more quality in.  But in January, would like to think we'd be looking to kick on and go for it.

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The optimist in me is thinking the plan is to get to the January window with minimum outlay, pick up the points we need to stay in the top half and touching distance of playoffs then reassess the squad and financial situation then.  In the meantime the club is run on a more sound financial footing which should help working through the issues of his own doing, and those hanging over from the previous regime.

That should all be achievable with the squad we've got now.  So if we don't strengthen massively today I won't be slitting my wrists, as much as I'd love some more quality in.  But in January, would like to think we'd be looking to kick on and go for it.

It really isn’t though. We didn’t deserve a point at Forest Green, we didn’t serve to win at Morecambe and Macc could easily have been a draw

I’m not saying we’ll do anything this season, I’m as disappointed as most with the standard of football we’re seeing but at the moment BUT we’re unbeaten in four and picking points up.

As an older fan and as one of the ‘nostalgia lads’ as the young gobshites refer - I remember us being battered away from home on many occasions during the championship season in 90/91. We relied overly on Hallworth having the season of his life and being able to nick a goal at the right time. A steeliness and an ability to dig in breeds confidence and achievement.  We’re not great, neither is the league. We’re spreading the goals around too - that’s no bad thing. 

If you remember it misty eyed and free flowing that year, watch the season review. We had a rough ride away from home but still picked up 32 points on the road.....

Sticking together and accepting things for what they are is the way to moving forward, slating players, manager and chairmen FIVE games in is the attitude that has brought us to where we are. I blame Corney more than anyone for our current situation BUT we’ve played a part. Managers hounded out after a poor first half of the season, players not given a chance by the fans, the club criticised at every turn. Togetherness breeeds success...

9 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

It really isn’t though. We didn’t deserve a point at Forest Green, we didn’t serve to win at Morecambe and Macc could easily have been a draw

Don't go away but would agree with the consensus that we have been fortunate in a couple of matches but that's what happens. Plus point is that we were not fully functioning with our two best players, one of which at least should play a key role throughout the season.There'll also be times when we lose unluckily later in the season which may or may not balance out the matches cited.

4 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

I’m not saying we’ll do anything this season, I’m as disappointed as most with the standard of football we’re seeing but at the moment BUT we’re unbeaten in four and picking points up.

As an older fan and as one of the ‘nostalgia lads’ as the young gobshites refer - I don’t remember us being battered away from home on many occasions during the championship season in 90/91. We relied overly on Hallworth having the season of his life and being able to kick a goal at the right time. A steeliness and an ability to dig in breeds confidence and achievement. 

If you remember it misty eyed and free flowing that year, watch the season review. We had a rough ride away from home but still picked up 32 points on the road.....

Totally agree and a huge factor for me this season is the mentality that seems to be being instilled,  fans can play their part in this as well by getting behind the team when we have a wobble, of course we've had a bit of luck but I will take that every day of the week, whoever challenges up there this season will have there fair share, Surridge and Baxter will add a huge difference when up to speed and I think Dummigan will be like a new signing when he returns, onwards and upwards....

9 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

As an older fan and as one of the ‘nostalgia lads’ as the young gobshites refer - I don’t remember us being battered away from home on many occasions during the championship season in 90/91. We relied overly on Hallworth having the season of his life and being able to kick a goal at the right time. A steeliness and an ability to dig in breeds confidence and achievement. 

It's a fair point but the quality of player then and now is somewhat different.

Supporter expectation has changed now, the grinding no risk type of football is so dull to watch that people will quickly give up on it unless the results keep coming.

You’re not going to get free flowing football in league two, in fact Swansea apart in 2007/08 I don’t remember too many free flowing teams successful in League One. We were dreadful to watch under Dowie but effective. The closest we’ve come to free flowing was Shez in 06/07 then he went much more direct in later years. Dickov tried it, we got our arses handed to us and he panicked, so did LJ.

The best we can hope for is the better players get fitter and become more effective. No one will hammer us this season. I do fear for any challenge if we don’t get another midfielder in...

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Supporter expectation has changed now, the grinding no risk type of football is so dull to watch that people will quickly give up on it unless the results keep coming.

I watch football at different levels these days all over Europe, the entertainment value has died over the last 10/15 years - the obsession now is keep the ball - must not lose at all levels. It’s very rare to see free flowing teams. The risks are too high that’s why we see so many goalless half times...

33 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I never understand this. We have had a solid start which ever way you butter it up. 'Easy Fixtures' 'Didn't deserve the points we have got'

I could argue that we have the points we have deserved. MK we could have got a point but didn't threaten enough. Forest Green was shocking and probably deserved to be beat. Macc we should have been out of sight and let them back in the game, deserved to win. Yeovil was a stalemate, arguably had the best chance (hitting inside of post) but deserved a point and Morecambe we won, we deserved to win, our keeper played his part but we did deserve to win the game.

8 points from 5, solid in anybody's book, no matter how or where those points come from.

If we win tomorrow no doubt it will be said 'We should have beaten them as they are managerless and their preparation was hampered' despite at that point having 11 points from a possible 18.

5 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

I watch football at different levels these days all over Europe, the entertainment value has died over the last 10/15 years - the obsession now is keep the ball - must not lose at all levels. It’s very rare to see free flowing teams. The risks are too high that’s why we see so many goalless half times...

The risk levels probably never been higher in the Championship and that is a brilliant league to watch IMO.

Bunn and Lemsagam keep talking about doing it for the fans, for me they've got a great chance to build a side that people want to play for and to come and watch.

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

As an older fan and as one of the ‘nostalgia lads’ as the young gobshites refer - I remember us being battered away from home on many occasions during the championship season in 90/91. We relied overly on Hallworth having the season of his life and being able to nick a goal at the right time. A steeliness and an ability to dig in breeds confidence and achievement.  We’re not great, neither is the league. We’re spreading the goals around too - that’s no bad thing. 

Sticking together and accepting things for what they are is the way to moving forward, slating players, manager and chairmen FIVE games in is the attitude that has brought us to where we are. I blame Corney more than anyone for our current situation BUT we’ve played a part. Managers hounded out after a poor first half of the season, players not given a chance by the fans, the club criticised at every turn. Togetherness breeeds success...

Oxford away that season was painful as well as Sheff Utd

Archived