Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brace yourself...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/25/expected-goals-xg-does-show-man-city-should-win-premier-league/

What are “expected goals” (xG)?

To work out a team's “expected goals” (xG) for a match, every shot must be analysed and given an "Expected goal value" (EGV). 

EGV is the probability that any given shot will end up as a goal. 

As Patrick Lucey, director of data science at STATS, explains, EGV is based on a number of factors, such as where the shot was taken from, the proximity of defenders, the nature of the attack (i.e a direct free-kick or a penalty). The EGV of a shot assumes it is being taken by someone of average ability in the league, so it expects for instance that a shot from 10 yards out plum in front of goal with no defenders nearby has a high chance of ending up as a goal. 

From an analysis of every shot's EGV in a match, an "expected goals" (xG) figure can be placed on each team from that match. If a team has a higher xG figure than actual goals scored, it will broadly be because of wasteful finishing or good goalkeeping, or both. Likewise if a team is scoring more than its xG then it could be down to moments of individual brilliance from an attacker or say a goalkeeping error. 

Just now, rosa said:

Yeah. I know. Bring back Beyond The Boundary, Phoenix From The Flames and Dominik Diamond on 606.

There was a copy of Beyond the Boundary in the White Hart on Saturday.

The first two pages were just pure text and more than 140 characters - "no way am I reading all THAT" or words to that effect :lol: 

By all accounts Morecambe have been extremely unlucky in recent games and have bumped into a couple of keepers in form, Iverson really did pull off some stunners last Saturday.

9/2 for a win at Bury on Saturday is overpriced in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, archiecat said:

His point being that he knows more than Gerrard  and Davies ! yeah course he does :D

ALL he gets across is his foulmouthed tirade, i don't have time for that kind of behaviour. 

The name is Mike.....but I guess I got lost in the mass of people  who are fed up of reading your repetitive idiocy.

Now.....as to foulmouthed and the Oxford English Dictionary:

SH*T:

"Something worthless; rubbish; nonsense"...….sounds about right.

Bastard:

An unpleasant or despicable person.....yep!!!

So nothing foulmouthed there then......unless you are saying  OED are wrong.

Now, back to your last post:

At no point do I say I know more than either of those but how can you believe their version if you only hear one side. 

However, we do hear from your posts:

- The chairman is potless (no evidence)

- The chairman is a control freak (probably last season because, I would say, Wellens was weak)(no evidence this season)

- Your acceptance of Davies's version (no signs of mass transfer requests)(sounds more like sour grapes because he wasn't allowed to leave in January)

- Ditto Gerrard (you seem to ignore his dodgy history...…...even Wellens was critical over his lack of professionalism)

Please return with comments that you can back up.

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Funny you describe a player as shite without him playing 2 games in a row in the league so hardly a fair assessment on the lad ? should be well above Coke in the pecking order. 

Why should he be above Coke?

At least we’ve seen Coke, Maouche is the invisible man. How can you rate a player who never plays above someone is playing?

Your contradicting yourself. 

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Brace yourself...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/25/expected-goals-xg-does-show-man-city-should-win-premier-league/

What are “expected goals” (xG)?

To work out a team's “expected goals” (xG) for a match, every shot must be analysed and given an "Expected goal value" (EGV). 

EGV is the probability that any given shot will end up as a goal. 

As Patrick Lucey, director of data science at STATS, explains, EGV is based on a number of factors, such as where the shot was taken from, the proximity of defenders, the nature of the attack (i.e a direct free-kick or a penalty). The EGV of a shot assumes it is being taken by someone of average ability in the league, so it expects for instance that a shot from 10 yards out plum in front of goal with no defenders nearby has a high chance of ending up as a goal. 

From an analysis of every shot's EGV in a match, an "expected goals" (xG) figure can be placed on each team from that match. If a team has a higher xG figure than actual goals scored, it will broadly be because of wasteful finishing or good goalkeeping, or both. Likewise if a team is scoring more than its xG then it could be down to moments of individual brilliance from an attacker or say a goalkeeping error. 

I reckon they have an algorithm to measure the level of the, "OOOOH," when a shot doesn't go in

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Why should he be above Coke?

At least we’ve seen Coke, Maouche is the invisible man. How can you rate a player who never plays above someone is playing?

Your contradicting yourself. 

Seen him play at Leigh sports village a few times last season for the reserves. Doesn’t mind a tackle and can spray a ball. He is better than coke. But let’s face it most would have banks over coke 

In the last 12 months since Maouche arrival we have seen 3 managers who havent picked him and midfielders such as Omrani Pringle Benyu Coke Banks all who would be classed as fairly poor get in ahead of him. When you also factor in his alleged £4k a week salary he must go down as one of the worst signings the club has ever made.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I would imagine that the ‘wow’ was for your first sentence.

Agree - it must be killing him us sitting in 8th with probably the worst squad we've had for donkeys years, no doubt it needs strengthening if we are to challenge but to almost wish a bad start and what that could entail is weird.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Agree - it must be killing him us sitting in 8th with probably the worst squad we've had for donkeys years, no doubt it needs strengthening if we are to challenge but to almost wish a bad start and what that could entail is weird.

Come on Yardy, engage your brain for a change.

11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

A decent start is probably the worst thing that could have happened, gives Lemsagam licence not to spend any more money.

Clear as day that we are at least two short in midfield.

Without a doubt I see where you are coming from (a 1st choice right winger and central midfielder would make a huge difference to the team), but that doesn't mean you aren't wrong.

We needed a semi-respectable start like we've had.  Defeats (or even draws) against Macc and Morecambe would've been disastrous and I think it would've been nigh on impossible for the club as a whole to pick itself up.

The jury is still out on where this squad can go, but a couple of early wins has definitely boosted confidence which was sorely needed.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Come on Yardy, engage your brain for a change.

I have thanks, your posts are almost becoming bitter, I can assure you the last thing we need now is to be bottom of the league to prove our squads not the strongest, I much prefer to hope that we can maintain our current league position through hard work, team spirit and a togetherness so that we can attract more fans and build for the future, if we win Saturday which I expect us to do would that be such a bad start? It's certainly not as bad as you and some others are painting it.

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Without a doubt I see where you are coming from (a 1st choice right winger and central midfielder would make a huge difference to the team), but that doesn't mean you aren't wrong.

We needed a semi-respectable start like we've had.  Defeats (or even draws) against Macc and Morecambe would've been disastrous and I think it would've been nigh on impossible for the club as a whole to pick itself up.

The jury is still out on where this squad can go, but a couple of early wins has definitely boosted confidence which was sorely needed.

Not saying I wanted a bad start (despite what others think) but the point I make is a fair one, only have to look back to this time last year and the business we did.

If we are being honest the keeper has probably saved us at least 3 points already and the decent start is then a poor one.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I have thanks, your posts are almost becoming bitter, I can assure you the last thing we need now is to be bottom of the league to prove our squads not the strongest, I much prefer to hope that we can maintain our current league position through hard work, team spirit and a togetherness so that we can attract more fans and build for the future, if we win Saturday which I expect us to do would that be such a bad start? It's certainly not as bad as you and some others are painting it.

The fixture list has been kind and the keeper has earned us points we probably shouldn't have got.

The midfield is a huge weakness and it doesn't look like being addressed.

Crawley will be a very tough game.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The fixture list has been kind and the keeper has earned us points we probably shouldn't have got.

The midfield is a huge weakness and it doesn't look like being addressed.

Crawley will be a very tough game.

Agree with all of that, apart from the last sentence. We should get 6 points from the next two games and then we might start to play some real lif teams. The results shouldn't mask the fact that we desperately need strengthening in quite a few areas...

15 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

In for someone who couldn’t make Hamilton’s squad. Nice.

Could have sworn that's what people said about Palmer, Main and Holloway when they came in and made the difference. 

You know the 'kid from Burton who couldn't break through' - 'the striker that donny didn't want' - 'the striker that can't even cut it for League Two Wycombe'

Archived