Ashton United friendly

8 minutes ago, singe said:

Interesting it says Gardner was Captain for the 2nd half on the Fishul, despite rumours of him departing. i  suppose it could be a shop window.

You might be right as he wasn't supposed to play in that game due to a back injury.

Despite that he ran rings round the opposition and if it was a shop window there may well be buyers as a result.

I was told FB is a big admirer of his ability. 

53 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I saw him play for Burton against us in a Cup game. I saw him play for Bury against us at Bury and I saw three or four other Bury games in which he didn’t have good games. 

Ok, cheers. You're assessment makes more sense now. As said earlier, maybe coaching is the difference.

31 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You might be right as he wasn't supposed to play in that game due to a back injury.

Despite that he ran rings round the opposition and if it was a shop window there may well be buyers as a result.

I was told FB is a big admirer of his ability. 

Found his level

I thought he was one of our best players last season. Playing defensive mid is not his preferred position but we were accommodating Byrne further forward.

I think Bunn will get him playing higher up the pitch and get the best out of him.

53 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You gave the guy the big build up for years, he was bog standard in his first season, let's hope there is more to come.

He's done well since I first saw him and managers have said he could play in the Championship. I prefer their opinions and my judgement to your biased opinion.

All along you've hoped he'd fail so you can prove me wrong.  About time you ceased your jealous sniping.

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Be great if you could start showing your  professional  qualifications on here.

Strange comment from you BP1960.

I’ve been watching football for longer than I care to remember and have absolutely no professional footballing qualifications.

Yet I can spot a decent player when I see one and I know when a player with obvious talent is simply not delivering on the pitch.

Gardner falls into that category for me. If he stays let’s hope Bunn and Rhodes can get the best out of him. Along with a few others too ?

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He's done well since I first saw him and managers have said he could play in the Championship. I prefer their opinions and my judgement to your biased opinion.

All along you've hoped he'd fail so you can prove me wrong.  About time you ceased your jealous sniping.

What is it I am supposed to be jealous of? Strange comment.

Your opinion is no more or less valid than anybody else's, if I disagree with yours I will tell you.

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Your opinion is no more or less valid than anybody else's, if I disagree with yours I will tell you.

It's an odd product of the age but it seems to be perceived that everyone's opinion is equally valid. Just not true. 

Brian Cox says the world is spherical but in Freddie Flintoff's opinion it is flat.... 

8 hours ago, Oh Heck C-Beck said:

In my opinion Gardner is excellent but has one big weakness, his final ball. He often wins the ball drives forward only to give an awful final pass or shot. If he sorted that out we’d be on to a winner. 

The only other negative is he never quite looks fully fit. 

Excellent? Blimey, you have low standards. He was a key part of a team that has just been relegated. And the season before that...

10 hours ago, welshgaz said:

I'm not sure what he is. Runs a lot without really tackling, creating or scoring.

Nail on the head.

He's clearly a better footballer than Fane but at the moment, Fane's role is much more clearly defined than Gardner's and guaranteed to be useful in League Two.

We can't be arrogant enough to think that having the most talented players on the pitch next season will mean that we win games at a canter.  We certainly had enough talented footballers on the pitch last season but the way we used them became less coherent as the season went on.  Gardner was a very good example of this, not a great deep-lying midfielder but not the most creative advanced player that we have either.

We could do worse no question, but if Bunn expects him to be our best option in central midfield then I'll be worried.

When you look at Gardner what you see is what you get - lower league journey man who will do okay for himself, when your arguing over his ability take into consideration Fane would of probably gained more votes in a fans player of the season ballot and that's one limited footballer.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

When you look at Gardner what you see is what you get - lower league journey man who will do okay for himself, when your arguing over his ability take into consideration Fane would of probably gained more votes in a fans player of the season ballot and that's one limited footballer.

Take into consideration who would be voting on these things and take with an extremely large pinch of salt.

11 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Take into consideration who would be voting on these things and take with an extremely large pinch of salt.

Valid point but you probably get my drift,  he was hardly head and shoulders in a midfield which got us relegated from League 1.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Valid point but you probably get my drift,  he was hardly head and shoulders in a midfield which got us relegated from League 1.

That's daft...the midfield alone didn't get us relegated.