Latics season previews

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

What Opinion shall I adopt with regard to the new signings ? ?

Should I..

a) Go for the ‘I don’t think they are any good but am happy to be proved wrong’.

I can’t lose with this as if they turn out to be no good then i can say ‘I told you so’ and if proved wrong I can hold up my hands and enjoy the pats on the back for ‘being big enough to admit that I was wrong’

b) Go for the ‘They are as good as we are going to get given our current financial status and standing in the league pyramid’ - whatever happens I can’t lose here too - whatever they turn out to be I’m covered

c) Go for the ‘These are decent signings; Ishmael Miller is ex Premier, back and hungry to succeed’ Nah... this is the hardest to defend and whatever happens I can’t win

or

Should I wait to see how they perform out on the pitch?

No brainer really ?

Im finding Im at A with a number of our signings.

We are allowed to have an opinion of a signing before we have seen them play, based on what we know, what we may have seen before and what fans of other clubs say, aslong as we give a constructive reasoned arguement for it. I've got reservations about most of the forward players we've signed. As a fan I want them to do well.

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, archiecat said:

Pssssst GlossopLatic, they won't like you saying things like that ! be very very careful.

Strangely enough even when you have seen a player in action you cannot have a differing opinion to " THE OTHERS"   

State of this.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, archiecat said:

Pssssst GlossopLatic, they won't like you saying things like that ! be very very careful.

Strangely enough even when you have seen a player in action you cannot have a differing opinion to " THE OTHERS"   

Criticism is fine aslong as its constructive.

We wont know how truely good or bad this is until we see sone form of pattern of performances which might take until late september.

What I dont get is certain posters saying you cant form any opinion of a player before they have played for us. The recent records of our forward signings Baxter Ogrady Miller and Benteke worry me somewhat while I maybe wrong I don't believe its wrong of me or anyonelse to be concerned by this.

By the same token Id be pretty happy with the signing of David Cotterill as I believe he would have pedigree at this level.

Not long til we get a bit of an idea how things will pan out :D

I can't wait for 3 o'clock,even if a couple of the signings are questionable everyone wants the same result.

I have one niggly doubt,The Missile has the look of a yellow card collector, i really do hope he tempers his tackling just a touch !

Looking forward to a good afternoon :aplayer1: :chubb::chubb: :aplayer1:

As I begin my 33rd season following Latics like many others I’ve seen it all, unbelievable highs to lows, so low that you felt like you could parachute out of a snake’s arse. Usually on the seaon’s eve I lurch from suicidal to eventually becoming very optimistic no matter how poor the squad looks, ‘you just never know’. This year feels very different, get it right we could be on the way back up the leagues. Get it wrong and it doesn’t bear worth thinking about. 

So where am I as 2018/19 dawns? Well I’ve seen a fair bit of pre season and I went to the meet the manager night the other week. Tbf we’ve had so many similar events over the last ten years they all merge into one. BUT you can’t deny Bunn and Rhodes’ enthusiasm. They genuinely want to be here and have a yearning to bring a modicum of success back to BP. Both have my backing 100% I don’t think they’ll go down the route of blaming individuals - they want to create that fantastic team spirit we had all those years ago. That will be important as will a siege mentality. The press are seizing on every little leak from the club and there’s some within the walls of BP and those recently removed that seek to upset the Apple cart. 

I believe a lot of the negative stuff has come from Corney and his inner circle, he wanted to stay involved. It was the right decision to get him and his cronies out if the club. A fresh start for the club, time for a can do attitude rather than the austere make do and mend mentality that culminated in our inevitable downfall last May. No matter what, relegation was Corney’s doing whether he was here or not, he sowed the seeds and we reaped the devastation.

I’m not 100% trusting of AL , I think given what happened with Moorex & the three asset strippers it is right to be cautious, but we have to give AL a chance to get it right. If he stays out of the dressing room and allows Bunn and Rhodes free reign whilst running the club correctly that’s all I ask.

Oh yes, the football! I have to say after Curzon I was concerned. I never get too upset about players leaving - especially the sheisters who let us down so badly last season. I wasn’t sorry to see any of those offloaded go BUT the rabble at curzon three weeks ago looked a million miles away from being a team. However from FCUM onwards I saw Bunn’s plan, a pressing game, big lads up top and runners from midfield. Throw in a threat from set pieces and we look like we’ll be ok. 

The signings of which many were on trial first suggests they want to be here.

Iversen looks decent enough particularly in narrowing angles and spreading himself.

Taylor, has experience and brings a calmness to full back. 

Missy impressed me from the word go.

Bangers looks a threat.

Graham oozes potential and gas pace, that’ll be a rare commodity amongst league two centre backs.

Coke has started slowly but I can see him doing a lot of the ugly stuff. 

Benteke whilst the jury’s out for me could be a real wild card.

surridge I haven’t seen but if Bournemouth are loaning him they must see summat in him. Looking forward to seeing the lad in action. 

O’Grady for me despite his slow pre season you won’t get a better target man in league two. He won’t score many but he’ll hold it up until the cows come home.

Miller a real enigma he could be awesome he could be shot at. From last week’s reports he was the former.

How will we do? I genuinely don’t think we’ll trouble the bottom 2, I think we’ll start slowly as usual and I think we’ll lose one or both of Hamer and Hunt by the end if the window but we’ll bring in a couple  more possibly with the X factor. If we can get Byrne’s head sorted he’ll be an asset but I think we’re looking to get rid. 

Baxter and Gardner are the key if the latter stays we have the quality in CM at this level. Baxter we know how good this lad can be. God willing he can still do his thing over a sustained period. 

Im excited about the young new talent in the squad too Edmondson has come on leaps and bounds and he’s got a real leader alongside him in Clarke. Dummigan is remoured to be out for 4 months so will be a loss as he gives us so much going forward.

so how will we do? Notts County, Lincoln and Mansfield are chucking the money about. Franchise, Northampton and Bury will be up there. The rest though are much of a muchness and I genuinely think FB will have us organised and hard to beat. After a slow start I think we’ll reach the play offs as Baxter, O’Grady and Miller get their match fitness. The previews writing us off are simply taking note of the many negative reports. The interviews i’ve seen from players and management are upbeat, optimistic and looking to prove a few people wrong.

Gutted I’m not there today, I’m going for 1-1 Gardner 

Come On you magnificent blue barstewards!

the season is a blank canvas, let’s turn it into a beautiful masterpiece!

Edited by oafcprozac

On 8/4/2018 at 11:18 AM, oafcprozac said:

As I begin my 33rd season following Latics like many others I’ve seen it all, unbelievable highs to lows, so low that you felt like you could parachute out of a snake’s arse. Usually on the seaon’s eve I lurch from suicidal to eventually becoming very optimistic no matter how poor the squad looks, ‘you just never know’. This year feels very different, get it right we could be on the way back up the leagues. Get it wrong and it doesn’t bear worth thinking about. 

So where am I as 2018/19 dawns? Well I’ve seen a fair bit of pre season and I went to the meet the manager night the other week. Tbf we’ve had so many similar events over the last ten years they all merge into one. BUT you can’t deny Bunn and Rhodes’ enthusiasm. They genuinely want to be here and have a yearning to bring a modicum of success back to BP. Both have my backing 100% I don’t think they’ll go down the route of blaming individuals - they want to create that fantastic team spirit we had all those years ago. That will be important as will a siege mentality. The press are seizing on every little leak from the club and there’s some within the walls of BP and those recently removed that seek to upset the Apple cart. 

I believe a lot of the negative stuff has come from Corney and his inner circle, he wanted to stay involved. It was the right decision to get him and his cronies out if the club. A fresh start for the club, time for a can do attitude rather than the austere make do and mend mentality that culminated in our inevitable downfall last May. No matter what, relegation was Corney’s doing whether he was here or not, he sowed the seeds and we reaped the devastation.

I’m not 100% trusting of AL , I think given what happened with Moorex & the three asset strippers it is right to be cautious, but we have to give AL a chance to get it right. If he stays out of the dressing room and allows Bunn and Rhodes free reign whilst running the club correctly that’s all I ask.

Oh yes, the football! I have to say after Curzon I was concerned. I never get too upset about players leaving - especially the sheisters who let us down so badly last season. I wasn’t sorry to see any of those offloaded go BUT the rabble at curzon three weeks ago looked a million miles away from being a team. However from FCUM onwards I saw Bunn’s plan, a pressing game, big lads up top and runners from midfield. Throw in a threat from set pieces and we look like we’ll be ok. 

The signings of which many were on trial first suggests they want to be here.

Iversen looks decent enough particularly in narrowing angles and spreading himself.

Taylor, has experience and brings a calmness to full back. 

Missy impressed me from the word go.

Bangers looks a threat.

Graham oozes potential and gas pace, that’ll be a rare commodity amongst league two centre backs.

Coke has started slowly but I can see him doing a lot of the ugly stuff. 

Benteke whilst the jury’s out for me could be a real wild card.

surridge I haven’t seen but if Bournemouth are loaning him they must see summat in him. Looking forward to seeing the lad in action. 

O’Grady for me despite his slow pre season you won’t get a better target man in league two. He won’t score many but he’ll hold it up until the cows come home.

Miller a real enigma he could be awesome he could be shot at. From last week’s reports he was the former.

How will we do? I genuinely don’t think we’ll trouble the bottom 2, I think we’ll start slowly as usual and I think we’ll lose one or both of Hamer and Hunt by the end if the window but we’ll bring in a couple  more possibly with the X factor. If we can get Byrne’s head sorted he’ll be an asset but I think we’re looking to get rid. 

Baxter and Gardner are the key if the latter stays we have the quality in CM at this level. Baxter we know how good this lad can be. God willing he can still do his thing over a sustained period. 

Im excited about the young new talent in the squad too Edmondson has come on leaps and bounds and he’s got a real leader alongside him in Clarke. Dummigan is remoured to be out for 4 months so will be a loss as he gives us so much going forward.

so how will we do? Notts County, Lincoln and Mansfield are chucking the money about. Franchise, Northampton and Bury will be up there. The rest though are much of a muchness and I genuinely think FB will have us organised and hard to beat. After a slow start I think we’ll reach the play offs as Baxter, O’Grady and Miller get their match fitness. The previews writing us off are simply taking note of the many negative reports. The interviews i’ve seen from players and management are upbeat, optimistic and looking to prove a few people wrong.

Gutted I’m not there today, I’m going for 1-1 Gardner 

Come On you magnificent blue barstewards!

the season is a blank canvas, let’s turn it into a beautiful masterpiece!

On the whole this is a fair assessment, and I wondered if you had been able to attend on Saturday if it would have changed you view. By the time you attend your first match we'll probably know a bit more.

One point though that has concerned me is the repeated assertions about how people are being treated. From multiple sources now. The latest being Alan Howarth who has been a long serving (AFAIK) volunteer photographer and has tweeted he has left as he is is not happy the way staff are bing treated (no detail so taken in that vein. Surely it is a concern so many people are saying the same thing?

Maybe they’re simply not getting the perks and access all areas they were getting? Maybe AL is a tyrant and a total twat, maybe he wants a clean slate and his way or the highway, I genuinely don’t know. What I do know is whilst Bunn was desperate to manage, Rhodes is no fool and I can’t see him putting up with half the crap people have supposedly endured? 

Im sure the truth is somewhere in the middle...

I am concerned though if we actually have the staff to be run as a going concern - for instance who is running the club day to day and it’s a EFL requirement to have a football secretary...

and if AL is picking and choosing who he pays on time then that isn’t fair, but what can we do about it?

Edited by oafcprozac

3 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Maybe they’re simply not getting the perks and access all areas they were getting? Maybe AL is a tyrant and a total twat, maybe he wants a clean slate and his way or the highway, I genuinely don’t know. What I do know is whilst Bunn was desperate to manage, Rhodes is no fool and I can’t see him putting up with half the crap people have supposedly endured? 

I am concerned though if we actually have the staff to be run as a going concern - for instance who is running the club day to day and it’s a EFL requirement to have a football secretary...

and if AL is picking and choosing who he pays on time then that isn’t fair, but what can we do about it?

4 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Did anyone see Rhodes going sick at the assistant linesman when he held up only 4 mins extra time?

25 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Richard Cooper?

Yes he is the football secretary. He probably meant chief exec.

and the website is the most up to date it’s been in a long time.  I think Sam will be excellent in the role whatever the reason for Luke’s departure 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Did anyone see Rhodes going sick at the assistant linesman when he held up only 4 mins extra time?

Going sick? God help us all. Which is a bit of a bugger given that I haven't got a religious bone in my body. 

2 hours ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Yes he is the football secretary. He probably meant chief exec.

and the website is the most up to date it’s been in a long time.  I think Sam will be excellent in the role whatever the reason for Luke’s departure 

Doubt we'll be getting a new one of those. Don't know if we need one tbh.