54 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Went to see if we are as bad as OWTB suggests.

Derby made six changes from their 4-1 defeat and for most of the match played well within themselves.  We looked OK and it was entertaining but our problem is the midfield.  Gardner was the only one I would play again if we had options.  Nepo had so many opportunities to cross but failed to put in one decent one.  Branger can hit the ball but needs to improve.  Coke was not hopeless but he is a little quiet.  Missilou made a number of tackles but he is always stretching and will get sent off.

In conclusion we don't need a fit Baxter or Clarke or a Striker what we need is a midfield.  If Nepo, Branger and Coke are it the National League beckons

I noticed Branger looked quite dangerous when he moved inside rather wide.

Maybe a better option as an attacking central midfielder than Coke,

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

If Gardner goes injured that midfield will literally be walked through. Should have rested him last night, we were never likely to win.

The midfield gets walked through with Gardner in it. He can’t tackle or track a man for toffee.

the views on Gardner baffles me...

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He has the ball a lot he gets forward with it, best form of defence is attack.

He gives the ball away a ridiculous amount, doesn’t get forward that much, bit of a crab. As seen last season doesn’t score as many as he should. Can’t defend for shit, can’t tackle, shit set piece delivery...

He’s not the worst we have, but people massively overrate him.

10 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

He gives the ball away a ridiculous amount, doesn’t get forward that much, bit of a crab. As seen last season doesn’t score as many as he should. Can’t defend for shit, can’t tackle, shit set piece delivery...

This is division 2, we aren't going to get a lad like Mason Mount the Derby  midfielder on loan from Chelsea.

23 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Do you think you have covered everything there? ::chubb:

24 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

He’s in a more advanced position this season so will score more. I’m not saying he’s a world beater, but he is currently the best we have and at least looks like he gives a shit and runs himself into the ground

27 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Not having that. He’s quite fast and normally gets past players rather easily in midfield. Can hit a pass and a shot and has looked up for the fight ever since he first signed. One of the few who didn’t give up til the end last season and seems to have single handedly ensured our season hasn’t started in absolute turmoil. Big fan of Gardner 

8 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He’s in a more advanced position this season so will score more. I’m not saying he’s a world beater, but he is currently the best we have and at least looks like he gives a shit and runs himself into the ground

Ah there we have it, typical Latics... looks like he gives a shit but doesn’t matter how much talent they have. 

5 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Not having that. He’s quite fast and normally gets past players rather easily in midfield. Can hit a pass and a shot and has looked up for the fight ever since he first signed. One of the few who didn’t give up til the end last season and seems to have single handedly ensured our season hasn’t started in absolute turmoil. Big fan of Gardner 

Not sure what you’ve seen? I’ve seen him twist and turn himself into trouble losing possession. Banks could hit a 40 yard pass just the same as Gardner, even better. Can hit a shot? He’s scored 3 goals for us (I think) in about 50 games, one was a penalty... 

Not said he’s the worst have I, just think he’s overrated by so many. 

I'm kind of with oldhamoafc on this.

He's alright, probably gets less grief cause he runs around a lot and is a grafter.  He does the simple things well enough, and if he had better players around him, he'd do a job. If he's going to be our main central midfielder this season though, we're going to struggle. 

2 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Ah there we have it, typical Latics... looks like he gives a shit but doesn’t matter how much talent they have. 

We have had many players over the years with, undoubtedly, more talent than Gardner but gave us nothing on the pitch. Please don't use Banks in your argument...….Banks was only any good when he had a 10 yard space around him so he could measure his pass but absolutely useless when confronted by the opposition and was largely missing after the first 10 missing and reappeared when collecting his cheque. Give me Gardner every day!!!

I've said before Gardner is a league 2 player. Has some good attributes, he's fairly fast works hard. Is capable of pinging it to either side of the pitch but then misplacing a pass over 6 yards or going past someone but then overrunning it. He struggles with consistency but he should do OK for us at this level. I thought we would see more goals from him last season so the fact he's off the mark already is a good sign. Let hope he stays fit 

Banks was awful, wouldn't tackle and 0 work rate. Gardner has some aggression, does win tackles and a good work rate no comparison who the better player is

Edited by bluehobbit

Gardner is ‘ok’. He will stand out this season which just demonstrates the decline we’ve endured in the last 3 months. To be honest, if Byrne is off, I’d be willing to give him an opportunity in a more advanced role. I believe he played more attacking in his non-league days and looked head and shoulders above that level. 

Edited by Ryan

1 hour ago, oldhamoafc said:

Not sure what you’ve seen? I’ve seen him twist and turn himself into trouble losing possession. Banks could hit a 40 yard pass just the same as Gardner, even better. Can hit a shot? He’s scored 3 goals for us (I think) in about 50 games, one was a penalty... 

Not said he’s the worst have I, just think he’s overrated by so many. 

Knowone is holding him up as somekind of footballing god they are just saying he is a good midfielder for league 2 side which he is. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Mike Jones would stand out in this current midfield, he's the type of player we needed not a Branger or a Coke or a Missilou. 

Opinions eh.  Mike Jones is a fraud imo.  What I would call a cowardly footballer he used to mark opposition players when we had the ball and mark space when they had it.  Basically, he hid a lot. 

Just now, kowenicki said:

Opinions eh.  Mike Jones is a fraud imo.  What I would call a cowardly footballer he used to mark opposition players when we had the ball and mark space when they had it.  Basically, he hid a lot. 

I’d have Jones and kelly in midfield no qualms ,comapired to what we have 

34 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Yes probably a big part in the best team we've had in the last eight or nine years but he's a fraud :chubb: