I’m encouraged that the performance seems better. I’m not overly concerned with results at this stage, but at the very least we must be competive and give us something to build on. Sounds like we got something more like it tonight. 

Hopefully nearly 4000 at £15 per head will allows us to get a couple more in on loan. 

11 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Game was always going to be a write off. Getting slaughtered on here for pointing out the flaws of a 2-0 loss goodness me. Macclesfield’s the real test, they’ve just had a good result

Quite possibly so, so why bother posting negatively (repeatedly) re this game? 

10 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Very astute business decision from AL choosing to unveil the Royle stand tonight. Extra 500-600 on the gate at £15 a man. Good to see.

Shouldn’t you be getting your pencil case ready?  Term time starts again soon. 

Thought we played decent tonight. Keeper had another good game. Thought we was going to get thrashed but held our own and made a game of it. We had a few decent chances. Push on from here and hopefully have a decent season. Hope this new lad bags a few and we will be right. Good attendance aswell a lot more than expected. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

That was much more encouraging.

Iversen solid and two or three good saves again.

Graham was my motm thought he was excellent.

Coke much more involved when he’s played in his correct position. 

Agree about Nepo, I highlighted last season he doesn’t track back and doesn’t challenge. He’s too slow in getting his cross in.

O’Grady much better when he’s someone up there with him.

Benteke too lightweight, speaks volumes we’ve brought a fifth striker in today. Couple of decent efforts but time and again Bunn was doing his nut in with him.

I’d expect at least one other midfielder in before the end of the month. Just like Saturday (albeit much higher level opposition) they waltzed through our middle time and again. Bunn was very angry and cut a frustrated figure time and again on the touch line. I thought some of the players communicated well tonight. Time and again we were in a good position but were too slow to react or made the wrong decision. You can see Bunn and Rhodes kick every ball but our press needs to be more consistent, our decision making needs to improve and our end product needs to be better. Having said that but for two superb saves from Benteke and Bangers, Baxter smashing an absolute blockbuster against the bar and a blatant dive for the first goal which was a clear og it could have been very different. Yes, Derby were better but fine margins won them the game, the second was a mis kick that landed at the guys feet. Get Clarke and Taylor in there, mix up the strikers and sort the midfield and we’ll be more than ok.

I wasn't there, but that seems to be an honest, balanced view. I like it.

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Truth is they should have had 5 or 6. We could have had one but the lack of quality in our side and decision making is startling 

Which effort doesn’t count? Benteke’s one on one with the ‘keeper or Baxter’s drive against the bar?

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Let's face it we aren't going to meet a player with the quality of young Mason Mount in Division 2, that lad is destined for the top IMO.

If he doesnt get there, he would make a great advocate for natural spring water

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rvlatic said:

O'grady won a lot in the air tonight and chased down everything- I reckon one of Lang or surridge playing off him could be very productive on Saturday. 

Bunn spent a lot of the first half shouting at benteke to do more.

I keep reading about how we need a big lump for the young lad to play off and frankly it's bollocks, whoever the lump is has to have a certain amount of ability, Miller has shown glimpses of it O'Grady unfortunately none.

Okay O'Grady on the odd occasion has got his head on the ball but it's pot luck where it lands and in the game I've seen him he doesn't have the ability any more to work a channel or even hold the ball up to bring others into play, he really is a poor mans Craig Davies without the ability to score a goal.

Even if he had the ability to hold the ball up we don't have a single midfielder making a run to support the forward line, there's only really Gardner with any vision or ability to do this but he's firefighting in the middle of the park trying to hold what remnants we have of a midfield together. 

I'm not even going to start about the wide men because they've shown nothing so far even at the lowly level we're at and we are desperate for just a little bit of quality in these positions, even someone like Dummigan whose a converted rIght back would drive at a defence and even stretch a team.

For me Saturday Lang, Surridge and Miller all have to start over the shower we've put on the team sheet the last two games, it's a travesty someone like Cotterill was allowed to walk away when we've given contracts and two year ones at that to some dreadful footballers, we still need a couple more in before Saturday for me because the midfield really is that poor and Gardner needs some help otherwise he will be the next to break down and God help us then.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I keep reading about how we need a big lump for the young lad to play off and frankly it's bollocks, whoever the lump is has to have a certain amount of ability, Miller has shown glimpses of it O'Grady unfortunately none.

Okay O'Grady on the odd occasion has got his head on the ball but it's pot luck where it lands and in the game I've seen him he doesn't have the ability any more to work a channel or even hold the ball up to bring others into play, he really is a poor mans Craig Davies without the ability to score a goal.

Even if he had the ability to hold the ball up we don't have a single midfielder making a run to support the forward line, there's only really Gardner with any vision or ability to do this but he's firefighting in the middle of the park trying to hold what remnants we have of a midfield together. 

I'm not even going to start about the wide men because they've shown nothing so far even at the lowly level we're at and we are desperate for just a little bit of quality in these positions, even someone like Dummigan whose a converted rIght back would drive at a defence and even stretch a team.

For me Saturday Lang, Surridge and Miller all have to start over the shower we've put on the team sheet the last two games, it's a travesty someone like Cotterill was allowed to walk away when we've given contracts and two year ones at that to some dreadful footballers, we still need a couple more in before Saturday for me because the midfield really is that poor and Gardner needs some help otherwise he will be the next to break down and God help us then.

Gardner looked to be struggling with an injury, my concern like yours is he will break down soon and be out for weeks.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner looked to be struggling with an injury, my concern like yours is he will break down soon and be out for weeks.

I was suprised he played last night to be honest, his ankles been giving him jip for weeks, fair play to him because he leaves it all out there I just wish we had half a dozen others with the same resolve.

• Like 1

To be fair to O'Grady I don't think he has been brought in to be a starter every week, good pro by all accounts and if you are trying to change the culture then you need those types.

Desperately need some quality in wide areas and at least one more centre mid.

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

If Gardner goes injured that midfield will literally be walked through. Should have rested him last night, we were never likely to win.

It's a tough one, given the spirited 2-0 defeat when many predicted a bit of a thrashing confidence shouldn't of taken too much of a knock, if he'd not played and we'd shipped 5 or 6 that could of been very damaging.

Football can be as much to do with what's going on in the head than it can the ability with the feet so going forward it was probably the right decision and no doubt they'd of asked Dan himself if he was okay to go again.

• Like 1

Went to see if we are as bad as OWTB suggests.

Derby made six changes from their 4-1 defeat and for most of the match played well within themselves.  We looked OK and it was entertaining but our problem is the midfield.  Gardner was the only one I would play again if we had options.  Nepo had so many opportunities to cross but failed to put in one decent one.  Branger can hit the ball but needs to improve.  Coke was not hopeless but he is a little quiet.  Missilou made a number of tackles but he is always stretching and will get sent off.

In conclusion we don't need a fit Baxter or Clarke or a Striker what we need is a midfield.  If Nepo, Branger and Coke are it the National League beckons