January Window Gossip/Rumours

28 minutes ago, archiecat said:

A team full of third rate foreign imports is not an Oldham Athletic team.

That said,it is a team that will find it's level at 15th in League 2 which should make the majority of this board happy. 

If the players sign for oldham athletic it makes them part of the oldham athletic team. 

Kusunga got slated for saying 15th would make people happy (and rightly so). Nothing has changed. 

41 minutes ago, archiecat said:

That said,it is a team that will find it's level at 15th in League 2 which should make the majority of this board happy. 

Becoming a poundshop Watford unfortunately.

Did anyone see Maouche’s interview on iPlayer yesterday? In his gentle softly spoken way, he explained how last season was ‘the worst of his life’, and that he was pleased for Pete Wild, someone who he knows from ‘training with the 2nd team’ last season. Sam explained in his question how Mohamed is smiling now. You can’t help but admire the young boy a) For clearly knuckling down without causing trouble and b) Getting into the team and putting in some performances. Good for him. I’m pleased for him. I’d love nothing more than for him to keep it up and win a new deal - assuming he’d want one. Although, I’m not sure he’s quite done enough yet.

Edited by lookersstandandy

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Becoming a poundshop Watford unfortunately.

To be fair, we’re playing in a pound shop league. I’ve no problem with the foreign import policy so long as they discernibly make a difference. I’d also like it to be complimented by other initiatives such as investment in youth.

1 hour ago, rteoafc said:

Who do we have at the moment? Making the big assumption that all the foreign lads were signed by AL (which is an assumption but one I think we have to make - none of Sheridan, Wellens or Bunn are known for their scouting of the French 4th division):

Maouche - doesn’t look like he’s worth what we’re reported to be paying him (he’s no Christian Colusso) and he has blown a little hot and cold but seems a more than adequate player at this level and when he’s been on form he’s looked very good

Missilou - superb

Nepomuceno - decent cross, good going forward when played on the wing, not a bad reserve full back, good signing

Sylla - too early to say

Branger-Engone - has some skills, and a left foot (right one still to be located), I’m happy to be proved wrong in time but I’m not at all convinced, just doesn’t seem to fit into the team 

De la Paz - exists

I agree - no duds on that list (personally I’d probably count Branger-Engone because he frustrates me so much but I accept that won’t be a widely held view).

That's a pretty accurate assessment of the imports. However we also have Benteke on the books who after being here a year and making no impact on the 1st team must be the closest we have to being considered a dud.

2 hours ago, rteoafc said:

De la Paz - exists

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

That's a pretty accurate assessment of the imports. However we also have Benteke on the books who after being here a year and making no impact on the 1st team must be the closest we have to being considered a dud.

De la Paz. On the odd occasion that he has played, he has looked like a fairly decent keeper to me. It’s unfortunate for him that Iversen is our number one. 

Missilou and Nepomuceno look top players at this level.

Maouche has the skills but still gets caught in possession too often for my liking. 

Branger-Engone ...🤔 not sure yet about this lad. He does a lot of good stuff but I’m not sure we have found his best position yet.

Generally our current #frenchlads are a pretty important part of the squad.

Just now, TheBigDog said:

De la Paz. On the odd occasion that he has played, he has looked like a fairly decent keeper to me. It’s unfortunate for him that Iversen is our number one. 

Missilou and Nepomuceno look top players at this level.

Maouche has the skills but still gets caught in possession too often for my liking. 

Branger-Engone ...🤔 not sure yet about this lad. He does a lot of good stuff but I’m not sure we have found his best position yet.

Generally our current #frenchlads are a pretty important part of the squad.

And yet we sit 11th with promotion looking like a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

What a load of crap.
If they can stay together, gel and succeed then they will be as part of LAtics folklore as any other comparable team.

Some of those with apparent lack of performance level can clearly be levelled at previous manager.

Some on this board must have hated the Fulham win, unable to pour out their misanthropy.

Edited by singe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, underdog said:

Geniune questions

a) is there a limit to the amount of foreign players you can sign?

b) is there a limit to the amount of foreign players you can field on match day?

I remember when you could only have one foreign player and two subs..yikes

The current rules are 7 of the 18 Man match day squad must be home grown.

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The current rules are 7 of the 18 Man match day squad must be home grown.

thanks very much...i had no idea

I did wonder how some premiership teams get away with only fielding the odd Englishman in the team on the field...its as long as they are in the match day squad

Edited by underdog

"We all dream of a team of Giles Coke's..."

Clearly that's said in jest, no one seriously believes that...do they?

19 minutes ago, singe said:

What a load of crap.
If they can stay together, gel and succeed then they will be as part of LAtics folklore as any other comparable team.

Some of those with apparent lack of performance level can clearly be levelled at previous manager.

Some on this board must have hated the Fulham win, unable to pour out their misanthropy.

OK, how about you put a rough £££ valuation on these superstars ? i am intrigued 

8 minutes ago, underdog said:

thanks very much...i had no idea

I did wonder how some premiership teams get away with only fielding the odd Englishman in the team on the field...its as long as they are in the match day squad

Home grown players don't have to be English - "a Player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any Club (or club) affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday".

So that includes, for example, Bellerin, Christensen, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Schmeichel and Lukaku.

Thing is with these players is they understandably need time to bed in, there are those that will bomb out completely as deyres has pointed out above but the same failure rate probably applies to domestic signings too, maybe this is where AL's 'slowly slowly' motto stems from, he probably appreciates that these lads will need a period of time to ajust, Maouche for instance is only starting to show what's he's capable of 18 months into his contract and I don't think we've seen the best of Branger yet.

I don't mind this route we are going down but feel there are a couple of things crucial to it succeeding going forward, one of them would be the coach situation where I feel we'd benefit from someone with experience in managing a diverse group of players, a coach from the continent who may better understand the players we've got and secondly having someone with the character of Peter Clarke around who I feel is strong enough to bring a group together, we saw last season how dangerous cliques can be to moral around the club and dressing room. 

47 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Did anyone see Maouche’s interview on iPlayer yesterday? In his gentle softly spoken way, he explained how last season was ‘the worst of his life’, and that he was pleased for Pete Wild, someone who he knows from ‘training with the 2nd team’ last season. Sam explained in his question how Mohamed is smiling now. You can’t help but admire the young boy a) For clearly knuckling down without causing trouble and b) Getting into the team and putting in some performances. Good for him. I’m pleased for him. I’d love nothing more than for him to keep it up and win a new deal - assuming he’d want one. Although, I’m not sure he’s quite done enough yet.

Watching the Fulham game online, I noticed at the end Clarkey was giving a manly hug to Misslou and having words (no doubt) of good stuff in his ear. It was good to see that bonding and more so when they went to the fans

There seems to be a good bond/acceptance now of each other. Last season on it seemed the intergration was not that strong, maybe an acceptance/better understanding of both the language and the cultural beliefs of each other and joint passion for footy has brought them together as a team with a good support team of the field as well.

I have even noticed and I don't mean to be condscending in anyway, but an increase in young ethnic people at home matches and I welcome their attendances. its good to see

4 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Home grown players don't have to be English - "a Player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any Club (or club) affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday".

So that includes, for example, Bellerin, Christensen, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Schmeichel and Lukaku.

wow...i am learning stuff today.

5 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I do think this is the key to future success. Not only plundering Europe for first team players from the French 4th, but youth's from there that we can keep for 3 years + and count as homegrown.

2 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

"We all dream of a team of Giles Coke's..."

Clearly that's said in jest, no one seriously believes that...do they?

Cokes or Omranis and Bentekes and Placides etc :blink:

You know, Kusunga did have a point about 15th, there are people here who are incapable of calling a poor performance just that.

We all loved Fulham but few called FGR crap,which it undoubtedly was, but because of the cup win we are supposed to allow a lame performance to be seen as a good effort.

15th place mentality that :o

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Thing is with these players is they understandably need time to bed in, there are those that will bomb out completely as deyres has pointed out above but the same failure rate probably applies to domestic signings too, maybe this is where AL's 'slowly slowly' motto stems from, he probably appreciates that these lads will need a period of time to ajust, Maouche for instance is only starting to show what's he's capable of 18 months into his contract and I don't think we've seen the best of Branger yet.

I don't mind this route we are going down but feel there are a couple of things crucial to it succeeding going forward, one of them would be the coach situation where I feel we'd benefit from someone with experience in managing a diverse group of players, a coach from the continent who may better understand the players we've got and secondly having someone with the character of Peter Clarke around who I feel is strong enough to bring a group together, we saw last season how dangerous cliques can be to moral around the club and dressing room. 

You beat me to it.. re second paragraph

Your first has got me thinking of reserve team? period of bedding in both off and on field...if only