January Window Gossip/Rumours

The more I think about it.... the more I'm irritated by Sam Surridge, Bournemouth and the loan system. While they haven't broken the terms of the loan agreement - there was a 6 month break clause - it's annoying that we made plans around a young striker, one that had made a discernible difference to the squad, for the whole season.... and we are now struggling to find a suitable replacement.

It makes both our quest to make the Play Offs and our ability to compete in the FA Cup and win significant prize money in the 4th round, that much harder. Yet again the rules seem to benefit the wealthier club.

If reports are true that the boy was homesick / didn't like it up north [or, did he not like the way Latics was/is being run?] one can't help wonder whether he, Bournemouth and Latics could not support him / encourage him to see through what is in effect no more than 5 more months. A tiny slither of time in the grand scheme of things.

Footballers benefit from the Bosman rule - in being free to seek employment like any other industry/employee..... and so they should be accountable too. I wonder if the break clause carried a penalty for which ever party chose to exercise it, like I would expect to see in a commercial contract in my own industry.

Edited by lookersstandandy

9 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

The more I think about it.... the more I'm irritated by Sam Surridge, Bournemouth and the loan system. While they haven't broken the terms of the loan agreement - there was a 6 month break clause - it's annoying that we made plans around a young striker, one that had made a discernible difference to the squad, for the whole season.... and we are now struggling to find a suitable replacement.

It makes both our quest to make the Play Offs and our ability to compete in the FA Cup and win significant prize money in the 4th round, that much harder. Yet again the rules seem to benefit the wealthier club.

If reports are true that the boy was homesick / didn't like it up north [or, did he not like the way Latics was/is being run?] one can't help wonder whether he, Bournemouth and Latics could not support him / encourage him to see through what is in effect no more than 5 more months. A tiny slither of time in the grand scheme of things.

Footballers benefit from the Bosman rule - in being free to seek employment like any other industry/employee..... and so they should be accountable too. I wonder if the break clause carried a penalty for which ever party chose to exercise it, like I would expect to see in a commercial contract in my own industry.

Ironically the lad who we only secured on a 6 month deal has extended and we will probably hang around waiting for a lad who initially signed on a 12 month deal who will no doubt end up sat on a bench somewhere further south, more lessons learned going forward I hope.

I've no doubt we've probably been compensated but like you say it's a shit situation and leaves us hopelessly short of attacking options.

1 minute ago, singe said:

Talking a VERY sceptical viewpoint. He also said Ishmael Miller was on trial with Sol Campbell at
 Macc, the day after he signed for Tranmere!

That's probably a wind-up merchant then. They often appear in transfer windows. 

2 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

It doesn't mean that the majority would see 15th as a roaring success. 

depending on the outcome of the window 15th may well be exactly that.

We desperately need at least 4 more incoming transfers to remain competetive. 

36 minutes ago, archiecat said:

depending on the outcome of the window 15th may well be exactly that.

We desperately need at least 4 more incoming transfers to remain competetive. 

I don't think anyone is disputing that we may end up there, just the stupid claim that the majority would consider it a roaring success, if we did.

2 hours ago, singe said:

Talking a VERY sceptical viewpoint. He also said Ishmael Miller was on trial with Sol Campbell at
 Macc, the day after he signed for Tranmere!

I bet he would, Not a chance in hell 🤣

We'd never stoop that low................would we? 🤔

Now, if it was Curtis Main we were after then I'd take that and he'd be great alongside Lang 👍

51 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I bet he would, Not a chance in hell 🤣

We'd never stoop that low................would we? 🤔

Now, if it was Curtis Main we were after then I'd take that and he'd be great alongside Lang 👍

Is he catching the side at Motherwell? He wasn't very good for Donny or Pompey.....!

Edit: Fook it.... get him back just for the FA Cup game.

I recall a funny tweet from a Donny fan about the time they were going down and Curtis Main was keeping us up.... it went something along the lines of.... "Not only is fat lady about to start singing, she's just been rogered by Curtis Main"

Edited by lookersstandandy

41 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Is he catching the side at Motherwell? He wasn't very good for Donny or Pompey.....!

Edit: Fook it.... get him back just for the FA Cup game.

I recall a funny tweet from a Donny fan about the time they were going down and Curtis Main was keeping us up.... it went something along the lines of.... "Not only is fat lady about to start singing, she's just been rogered by Curtis Main"

Main would do very well in this league and this time he might get us up rather than keeping us up