• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So, enlighten me; given that we all knew why Maouche is captain, what actually changed?

He was given it due to seemingly being the top boy of the owners. It isn't hard to see given that he takes every set-piece going. 

The fact that we got a point with Wheater in the side against Exeter whilst Maouche wasn't present and given that it was the only game we had not lost so far this season, I don't think they dared to change it. 

If they have seen sense through murmurings of discontent then all credit to them. Wheater is a leader and to be perfectly honestly, it's a bloody good job we signed him as without him I'm not convinced we ever really had one.

Wheater aside, would you have Maouche captain in that side? He'd be fairly low down on my list if i'm being honest. If not, each to their own :)  

17 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

He was given it due to seemingly being the top boy of the owners. It isn't hard to see given that he takes every set-piece going. 

The fact that we got a point with Wheater in the side against Exeter whilst Maouche wasn't present and given that it was the only game we had not lost so far this season, I don't think they dared to change it. 

If they have seen sense through murmurings of discontent then all credit to them. Wheater is a leader and to be perfectly honestly, it's a bloody good job we signed him as without him I'm not convinced we ever really had one.

Wheater aside, would you have Maouche captain in that side? He'd be fairly low down on my list if i'm being honest. If not, each to their own :)  

The point I am making is that you should be giving more credit to Banide with the switching of captain. It’s clear that Banide has recognised the leadership qualities that Wheater brings to the side. I reckon the change is down to the Manager/Coach - no-one else. 😎

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

Didn't he take the perfect corner kick for Wheater to nod in?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The point I am making is that you should be giving more credit to Banide with the switching of captain. It’s clear that Banide has recognised the leadership qualities that Wheater brings to the side. I reckon the change is down to the Manager/Coach - no-one else. 😎

Of course. If Banide has been given the choice to change then fair play. Good decision but an obvious one to many people.

Everybody can see Wheater's leadership qualities and if he can drag us through this season with some help elsewhere then he deserves a lot of credit.

Fantastic win on Saturday, onto the next one

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't he take the perfect corner kick for Wheater to nod in?

His footballing ability usually cannot be questioned. His attitude, drive and leadership can be at times, especially when the chips are down.

He takes everything regardless of how good/bad his deliveries are. Set-pieces, (Wheater's goal aside) have been pretty sub-standard to date, with the exception of the Exeter game and the Liverpool game where Eagles and Nepo were over them. Funnily enough Maouche didn't play in either. 

a swallow doesn't make a summer

38 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Moosh being the given the captaincy......

Yes. Not sure why that contradicts what I said.  The story went that Maouche got the captaincy and would keep it because he’s a AL/ML boy.  

Incidentally, I’m on record on here saying I didn’t think Maouche should be captain.  

The truth is though we had no stand out candidate to be captain until Wheater turned up. 

17 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Of course. If Banide has been given the choice to change then fair play. Good decision but an obvious one to many people.

Everybody can see Wheater's leadership qualities and if he can drag us through this season with some help elsewhere then he deserves a lot of credit.

Fantastic win on Saturday, onto the next one

Which of the players available at the start of the season would have been your captain?  Not one obvious candidate imo. Not one. 

As you say, Wheater is obvious and that why is now captain.  Hopefully that doesn’t change. 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Which of the players available at the start of the season would have been your captain?  Not one obvious candidate imo. Not one. 

As you say, Wheater is obvious and that why is now captain.  Hopefully that doesn’t change. 

Before Maouche, I'd have had a few, albeit, as I have made clear also, Wheater apart we do not have an obvious leader/candidate.

The players I would have had ahead of Maouche are Woods, Hamer, Missilou, Nepo.

When the chips are down, Maouche disappears far too often. Footballing wise he's not bad. Quite a nice footballer and has the ability to control the game at our level. Other than that, attitude can be poor, very poor and can be like carrying a passenger.

1 minute ago, unsworthlatic said:

Before Maouche, I'd have had a few, albeit, as I have made clear also, Wheater apart we do not have an obvious leader/candidate.

When the chips are down, Maouche disappears far too often. Footballing wise he's not bad. Quite a nice footballer and has the ability to control the game at our level. Other than that, attitude can be poor, very poor and can be like carrying a passenger.

We mostly agree then. 

14 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

I think that with the departure of Clarke there was no obvious candidate for the role of captain. Missilou and Nepomuceno are not communicators on the pitch and are certainly not captain material. Mills is a communicator but has a full time role as our resident Poster Boy.

As for Woods, no keeper should be captain in my opinion.They are too far away from the entirety of the game.

So that leaves Hamer - a young defender still learning the game. He did take the armband on one occasion I seem to recall but he’s not ready yet.

Maouche took on the role. Unfortunately for him this only gave added fuel to his detractors.

As I’ve said before on here, Maouche in my opinion attracts a disproportionate amount of criticism. The player I watch is a skilful midfielder who keeps us ticking over in the middle of the park. Hopefully he can now kick on.

Maouche was captain for the simple fact he can speak English and French, the others are very limited with English but can speak it to some extent, I know this as I have had conversations with most of them including Maouche. I agree Wheater should without a doubt be captain and he will be from now on. I don’t think he was captain at FGR first game of the season as he has just came to the club a few days before, he then got injured. As a result Maouche kept the armband. We will see Wheater as captain from now on. 

Additional to this, Maouche is our most creative and technical player. He is not as effective in a 2 and he struggles behind the striker with the way we play. We don’t keep the ball and play on the counter. If we played in a way where we kept the ball people would see he is far better than what he is currently showing and would have the ball in more dangerous positions. Saying that he is the one who is able to keep hold of the ball for us and play the killer pass we need on the counter. He’s not going to make a tackle that wins the ball and takes out the man, he’s not going to run around like a headless chicken for 90mins. We have Missa and Sylla for that. He gives us a little bit of quality in a side that is severely lacking in quality.

Our main concern is getting the full backs and wingers working as a pair and getting a striker who can make runs and score goals. Not Mo Maouche. 

Nevermind the fact that Maouche isn't captain why do we all think he has much talent?

He looks a pretty ordinary footballer to me even at this level shows a few nice touches but thats it.

I have only seen 1 game where he has looked a talented player the Mansfield game at home in April where the sun was shining bright and Mansfeild gave him the freedom of the park to play football. 

He didn't exactly attract too much interest this summer when out of contract either. His set pieces aren't all that, he doesn't score too many goals, not many assists either, and he doesn't control games. John Sheridan Neil Killkenny, Richie Wellens controlled games Maouche isn't fit to wipe their arses. 

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Nevermind the fact that Maouche isn't captain why do we all think he has much talent?

He looks a pretty ordinary footballer to me even at this level shows a few nice touches but thats it.

I have only seen 1 game where he has looked a talented player the Mansfield game at home in April where the sun was shining bright and Mansfeild gave him the freedom of the park to play football. 

He didn't exactly attract too much interest this summer when out of contract either. His set pieces aren't all that, he doesn't score too many goals, not many assists either, and he doesn't control games. John Sheridan Neil Killkenny, Richie Wellens controlled games Maouche isn't fit to wipe their arses. 

Hes shite

49 minutes ago, Chaddy14 said:

It's refreshing to see some fellow Latics' fans (?) expressing their support for the team so soon after a good away win! Who needs enemies with fans like.....

Pathetic isn’t it.  Any positivity is jumped on.  It’s not allowed.  It’s now clear to me that some posters hate AL*  more than they love Oldham these days. 

*including anything and anyone who in their view is associated with him. 

Just to be clear:

1. I love Oldham, that wont change no matter who owns us.

2. I hate AL, and most of those associated with him.

3. Despite points 1 & 2, I was very happy to see us beat Cambridge.

4. Having said that, one win doesn't change my view that Al is a crook and a cancer on this club.

5. If Al got his brain in gear, ran the club how a professional club should be ran, resulting in no more negative stories coming out and had us competing at the top end, I will hold my hands up and take back my view as explained in point 4.

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Maouche was captain for the simple fact he can speak English and French, the others are very limited with English but can speak it to some extent, I know this as I have had conversations with most of them including Maouche.

Maybe Wheater has agreed to learn French to act as translator on the pitch?

#AllezWheateur #CaptaineFantastique

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Maybe Wheater has agreed to learn French to act as translator on the pitch?

#AllezWheateur #CaptaineFantastique

I've never contemplated correcting spelling mistakes in French before; it's capitaine.  No need for thanks.

Archived