Match Thread: Lincoln City (A)

Oldham forward Johan Branger faces a late fitness test. The Gabon international was introduced midway through the second half in the 1-1 draw at Cambridge last weekend but took a knock and is therefore doubtful for the trip to Sincil Bank.

Dan Gardner (knee) and Ousmane Fane (leg) remain long-term absentees. But manager Paul Scholes has no other injury or suspension concerns as his side look to end a five-game winless run.

Stats:

Lincoln have only won one of their last 10 games against Oldham in the Football League (D2 L7), failing to keep a clean sheet in each meeting.

Oldham have won three of their last four away league games against Lincoln (L1), however this will be their first such trip since September 1998 (3-1 win).

Lincoln City's 14-match unbeaten home league run is their best in the EFL since they went 19 without a defeat in September 2006.

Oldham have only lost one of their last eight away league games on a Tuesday (W2 D5), although that was their most recent such contest at MK Dons in January (1-2).

10 of Lincoln's last 11 league goals have been scored by either Bruno Andrade (six) or John Akinde (four).

This game is a very good test for Scholes as a manager.  If he can set us up to deal with Lincoln's shithousery then I'll be more confident about how we'll deal with the league next season.

From what I've seen so far I think Scholes will try to get us to outplay most teams, but we need to be able to battle in some of the matches too.

16 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

This game is a very good test for Scholes as a manager.  If he can set us up to deal with Lincoln's shithousery then I'll be more confident about how we'll deal with the league next season.

From what I've seen so far I think Scholes will try to get us to outplay most teams, but we need to be able to battle in some of the matches too.

Bring back the 'yard dogs' as there's no other way out of this league of cloggers, forget the pretty football, anything goes down here 

I say bollocks as I don’t want to be associated with a bunch of cloggers. Maybe you need to be able to deal defensively with a more direct style of the football but offensively give me a passing team all day long...Bury seem to be doing OK with pretty football!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I say bollocks as I don’t want to be associated with a bunch of cloggers. Maybe you need to be able to deal defensively with a more direct style of the football but offensively give me a passing team all day long...Bury seem to be doing OK with pretty football!

Give me results, first and foremost.

I don't want to be passing it sideways in this division (or below..) for eternity..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Give me results, first and foremost.

I don't want to be passing it sideways in this division (or below..) for eternity..

The point was “Why can’t we have both?”

Bury are getting results playing good passing football. 

I dont accept that you have to play ugly to get out of this or any other league. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I dont accept that you have to play ugly to get out of this or any other league. 

i think you have to be able to match teams that do play ugly and nullify them something we have not had since the fabled yard dogs except during the gregan era 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

There's only one player in the whole starting eleven I'd class as tough enough, come what may in this league and that's the Captain, plus we've only got one flair player in Baxter.

We need a few more rough and tumble players, who'll roll their sleeves up and have a proper go at the opposition, winning 40/60 tackles and then maybe we'll have some time to play the nice stuff.

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Bury have better, more up for it players and they haven't been playing on an allotment