Central Defence - Have I Missed Something?

It's hard catching up on this board after a few days away, so apologies if covered elsewhere.

Any person with even the teeny weeniest bit of footballing brain can see that the centre of our defence desperately needs re-inforcing (as we all know, a Peter Clarke type).

If that's not done, we are doomed. Imagine an injury in there with the present numbers; double doomed.

From those people in the know - is someone (preferably a couple) lined up ?

If not, I agree with the de de de de de.... fu_kin shambles mantra

Totally agree and were pretty toothless in attack. New manager who doesn't know the league, players who dont know the league or each other. Were in for a very tough season, I really have no excitement or hope for this season. I can see teams walking through us, head dropping very early in the season and games. With no leaders to pull us out of it.

• Like 1

Think it’s unlikely more strikers will come in. On paper we have four plus O’Grady, although none fill me with hope.

I reckon we will get one more defender in, even assuming Egert signs. The number 5 shirt hasn’t been assigned.

Baffled how you lose both your starting centre backs, both arguably your best players for various reasons yet we are 7 days before our first game without a decent replacement for at least one of them. 

Hamer is a full back

Stott hasn’t been the most consistent within our side. 

Sefil is an Ashton reject. 

Oh and our left back isn’t much use 

• Like 2

Very worrying look to that central defence - desperately need a leader who can bring on Stott/ Hamer/ Sefil etc.

Some hairy-arsed, no nonsense madcap centre half - bit like Peter Clarke.....in fact why did we ever let him go - oh I know, he fell out with Lemsagam 

Unbelievable how we  come to this, week before season starts and no obvious leader - piss poor that.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Baffled how you lose both your starting centre backs, both arguably your best players for various reasons yet we are 7 days before our first game without a decent replacement for at least one of them. 

One theory could be it's because the person bringing players in is a former agent, who thinks he knows more than he does, who is feeding his ego and is more concerned about chucking contracts to his clients than the success of the team...

..the theory could be miles out, of course.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Yep we look light. Defence mid and attack. Hope more are to come in but it really is a big gamble. Players not used to English competition could go one of two ways. Hope I’m wrong but have a nasty feel we will struggle 

We may struggle but we need to give the manager and the team a little time before we write the season off as a lost cause.  The team is a bit of an unknown quantity but we need to get behind them and hope things gel on the pitch.  Meanwhile, the three groups squabbling to run the club need to find some common ground otherwise the lot will crumble no matter how good the team is.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Whitts said:

We may struggle but we need to give the manager and the team a little time before we write the season off as a lost cause.  The team is a bit of an unknown quantity but we need to get behind them and hope things gel on the pitch.  Meanwhile, the three groups squabbling to run the club need to find some common ground otherwise the lot will crumble no matter how good the team is.

Three?

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

It's hard catching up on this board after a few days away, so apologies if covered elsewhere.

Any person with even the teeny weeniest bit of footballing brain can see that the centre of our defence desperately needs re-inforcing (as we all know, a Peter Clarke type).

If that's not done, we are doomed. Imagine an injury in there with the present numbers; double doomed.

From those people in the know - is someone (preferably a couple) lined up ?

If not, I agree with the de de de de de.... fu_kin shambles mantra

I suppose the thing you are missing is that the window is still open and that no one from the club has said we don't need any more defenders.

So no reason to think that we aren't looking.

18 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Looks like this manager is wanting to tippy tappy football that is more suited to leagues higher than div 2.. tried that today with sadly no end product 

He's ambitious, getting us prepared for life in the Championship......although we may be taking a circuitous journey via the Conference North as that is about our current squad standard 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

He's ambitious, getting us prepared for life in the Championship......although we may be taking a circuitous journey via the Conference North as that is about our current squad standard 

I hear so many times , dont read to much into friendly games,  but you get a bloody good indication as to what's in store for the new season and I believe its going to be a long hard season unless we add abit of muscle and leadership to this team 

2 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

I hear so many times , dont read to much into friendly games,  but you get a bloody good indication as to what's in store for the new season and I believe its going to be a long hard season unless we add abit of muscle and leadership to this team 

I'm usually Mr Optimistic - but I have to agree. - watching this afternoon's shambles on the OS called "highlights" ?? I seriously fear us seeing anything above 24th all season 😞