At least there's one table where we are in a respectable position...

All related to the size of the town to some degree and its dominance of the world cotton spinning industry. In 1901 Oldham was the 19th largest town / city in the country and 21st in 1921 above the likes of Derby, Coventry, Norwich, Southampton and Wolverhampton.

we were down to 31st in 1951 as the cotton industry declined and were out of the top 40 never to return by 1971. 

If if you read anything more interesting than that today I’ll be amazed 😂

1 minute ago, Stevie_J said:

Are you for real...?

I thought our capacity was about 13,500? I know Health and Safety wasn't as prominent back in the day but even then surely it was no more than 20,000. It's Wikipedia so people can edit it easily. 

5 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

It was 90 years ago and there were no seats.  Not sure what you mean by 'edited' - it's been on record as the club's record attendance for forever.

Can you see now why I called him a male hen? 😏

5 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

I thought our capacity was about 13,500? I know Health and Safety wasn't as prominent back in the day but even then surely it was no more than 20,000. It's Wikipedia so people can edit it easily. 

Hiya Shuck.

Many will remember when, for example, the Rochdale Road End (JF stand now) was a huge open terrace (went a lot further back than it does now). Can't remember which season but I recall West Brom coming to town for their "promotion party" last game of the season. The RRE was literally packed like a sardine tin with baggies. There were at least 12,000 of them just in that one end that day - and some estimated it at 15,000 in the RRE.

Completely different crown capacities at standing grounds. Think we had another 40,000 plus crowd against Liverpool if I remember what my dad told me correctly.

Just now, wiseowl said:

Hiya Shuck.

Many will remember when, for example, the Rochdale Road End (JF stand now) was a huge open terrace (went a lot further back than it does now). Can't remember which season but I recall West Brom coming to town for their "promotion party" last game of the season. The RRE was literally packed like a sardine tin with baggies. There were at least 12,000 of them just in that one end that day - and some estimated it at 15,000 in the RRE.

Completely different crown capacities at standing grounds. Think we had another 40,000 plus crowd against Liverpool if I remember what my dad told me correctly.

And posts like this just encourage the brain donor 

14 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Someone has obviously edited that, impossible to fit 40,000+ into Boundary Park. 

Have you never looked at anything to do with the history of the club (or indeed of football)?  Such a lack of knowledge makes any of your comments on present day activity pretty flimsy. 

We could also feature at the bottom of the list. The attendance at AFC Wimbledon's ground in 2017 (last game of the season) was 4867, 83 more than the 'record' attendance listed. But also 87 more than their official capacity. 

I think they had a game that beat that attendance though. 

2 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

I don't know why people think it's a wind up, I didn't know we used to have 40,000+ crowds. That's nearly 1 in 4 in the town coming to watch us. How our support has dwindled.

Population of the town (rather then the whole borough) was 140,000 in 1930 v 98,000 in 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham

4 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Someone has obviously edited that, impossible to fit 40,000+ into Boundary Park. 

I was there in 1962 when we played Liverpool in the cup. Over 40,000 there that day. 

Edit: just checked the date. 27th January 1962. Latics 1-2 Liverpool. Attendance 41,733

Archived