Plymouth (a)

A lot of positives to be taken from today. Good shape defensively and good work rate in closing down as Plymouth invariably played out from the back.

Plymouth bossed possession but we created a number of good chances through some slick interplay and in the end I felt that we deserved the draw.

However we still give the ball away far too often and seem to lack confidence in the final third of the pitch. 

But I can see an improvement in our overall team play and a definite style of play is emerging away from home. 

We need to build on performances like today and transfer that to our home form - Hopefully Eagles is back next week as a win at BP is well overdue.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can see signs of improvement there. The players seem to be getting used to each other now, leading to some nice interplay through midfield.  Good to see a decent number of shots for once. 

Morais made things a bit more direct and positive, and Branger was better than expected.  Woods and Wheater very good again, and Sylla seems to be getting into games more.  

We should start picking up home wins playing like that. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

The stewards where telling people to sit down that’s it. He wouldn’t sit down, the guy then punched the steward and the steward wrongly punched him back. The Oldham fan was being a massive bell end and asking for trouble, other fans around me agreed. 

I wasn't there, but telling fans to sit down when there's 143 in a section which probably holds 1000+ supporters...

Really?

7 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I wasn't there, but telling fans to sit down when there's 143 in a section which probably holds 1000+ supporters...

Really?

It happens - ground regulations, etc.

At Southampton on a Tuesday night a few years ago, there were about 200 Latics fans there.  A few tried to stand, but kept being told to sit down by the stewards, one of whom said our fans were "worse than Portsmouth" because of it.

Thousands of home fans were allowed to stand unconfronted, though..

2 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Totally agree. Was done when he was with us and couldn’t get in the team. Has all the ability in The world but head isn’t with it. 

It’s tragic. There is nothing worse than seeing genuine talent squandered. Imagine how good you have to be to be the youngest player ever to play for a famous top level team. I feel for the lad.

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

It’s tragic. There is nothing worse than seeing genuine talent squandered. Imagine how good you have to be to be the youngest player ever to play for a famous top level team. I feel for the lad.

There’s tonnes of stuff that’s worse. 

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

In the nicest way possible he could have potentially been playing in the premier league with Sheffield United if he didn’t sniff coke. 

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Really?

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

At Southampton on a Tuesday night a few years ago, there were about 200 Latics fans there.  A few tried to stand, but kept being told to sit down by the stewards, one of whom said our fans were "worse than Portsmouth" because of it.

Thousands of home fans were allowed to stand unconfronted, though.

Plymouth is notorious for having very unfriendly stewards. Especially for standing. 

IIRC there were a few issues 20 months ago with some of ours fans standing.

Ground regulations are one thing, but they need to be enforced properly and equally. Only enforcing the regulations to sit down for away fans opens clubs up to a discrimination liability. 

Resorting to fisticuffs over standing at a football game is silly though. 

3 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Totally agree. Was done when he was with us and couldn’t get in the team. Has all the ability in The world but head isn’t with it. 

So the Baxter under Scholes was done. Surely u dont have .few years out them that's it. Hes still young makes no sense 

Just now, kowenicki said:

To be fair, that handful of performances proves the point being made. 

But he shows flashes hes still young. He choose to come back to football. I really can't see hes done. Ironically he looked at his best before his Injury, then came back looked class. I think he will be back to his best soon and climbing the leagues.

5 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Oh and the fighting amongst the fans and the two that got arrested and the one that punched the steward should be embarrassed. If you want a punch up take up boxing. If it’s due to alcohol don’t drink, actually cringe to watch. Grown men, surely going home to their family’s, great example... 

Absolutely, 300 plus miles to get locked up, utter muppets.

Seen a few of these at away games, over the top behaviour, actively looking for bother.

I find (in the main) if you do whats asked of you, you don't get hassle from club staff or cops or otherwise.

11 hours ago, JoeP said:

Thousands of home fans were allowed to stand unconfronted, though..

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Plymouth is notorious for having very unfriendly stewards. Especially for standing. 

IIRC there were a few issues 20 months ago with some of ours fans standing.

Ground regulations are one thing, but they need to be enforced properly and equally. Only enforcing the regulations to sit down for away fans opens clubs up to a discrimination liability. 

Resorting to fisticuffs over standing at a football game is silly though. 

If you can't figure out that the chances are you're going to cause more aggravation by demanding fans sit than allow them the respect to stand when there's no obstruction you shouldn't be near a hi-vis vest

I highly doubt a seasoned fan who travels to Plymouth to watch 3rd bottom Latics would attack a steward unprovoked. The 143 together yesterday have probably racked up enough appearances to have seen it all before...

9 hours ago, latics22 said:

But he shows flashes hes still young. He choose to come back to football. I really can't see hes done. Ironically he looked at his best before his Injury, then came back looked class. I think he will be back to his best soon and climbing the leagues.

This is the point I made pre season. You have just said Baxter is class because he showed flashes of brilliance in maybe three games. Yet you say maouche is dog shit because he only shows flashes of brilliance.....

15 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

A decent performance IMO but Maouche should have absolutely buried that chance, frustratingly he didn’t and Plymouth went up the other end and scored.

His woeful finishing has probably cost us 4 points so far as he missed a couple of sitters at home to Exeter!!

Mouche didn’t even play against Exeter but if you want to blame him for that too, go ahead. Most on here will agree with you. 

Anyway, on a positive note, two decent performances in the last two games with three very winnable games coming up.  My optimism is back again after an awful start.

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

My mistake, I meant Colchester, but I still maintain that with better composure in the box from Maouche we would be comfortably mid table!!

Well seeing as its, Like, September or sumat, maybe you need a bit more composure yourself 🎭

Archived