Exeter (A)

So for most people this is a relatively insignificant game and I wouldn't blame anyone for not making the journey down on Tuesday but I'm hoping, rather than expecting, to have family bragging rights by the end of it.

I don't see it being a match where we are totally outplayed, but they are the team at the top who are grinding out a lot of wins this season, hence 10 1-0 wins and 15 clean sheets this season.  Their success so far this season has been built on a solid defensive unit but their centre backs, while tall and strong, are not too quick.  At left back they are currently on their 4th of the season and Brennan Dickinson likes to get forward.  By playing Smith on the right we have our best chance to find space and hit them on the break.

The heartbeat of their team is Nicky Law, so it could be a bit of useful that he went off after 30 minutes today.  However his replacement Matt Jay was pretty much the man of the match playing a similar role.  They've mostly played 4-2-3-1 this season and their 3 attacking midfielders (Law, Lee Martin and Randell Williams) are where their big goal threat comes from as they can all play on either flank and play centrally between the opposition defence and midfield.  On Saturday they went 4-4-2 with Ajose alongside Bowman, but Williams, Jay and Law when he was on all started wide but drifted centrally.

It's a test of Dino's tactics (worryingly).  4-4-2 is the way to go with Sylla and ideally McCann in centre mid.  Sylla to deal with the strength and power of Nigel Atangana and McCann to sit in and nullify the threat of the attacking midfielder in front of our defence.  I rate both Sylla and Missilou individually but I think they'll be exposed positionally if they play as a pair on Tuesday.  In attack we need a player to play on their last defender, for me Dearnley (if fit) or Wilson will fill this role alongside Rowe.  Get the ball into Rowe's feet then through balls to the 2nd striker and we'll be able to do some damage.  I rate Maouche but this won't be his kind of game in my opinion.

Zeus (I'd prefer Woods if fit)

Hamer
Wheater
Piergianni
CBJ (Mills could also do a job on Randell Williams cutting inside)

Smith
Sylla
McCann (Missilou if needed)
Nepomuceno

Rowe
Dearnley (or Wilson)

Anyone else making the journey instead of watching on iFollow?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So for most people this is a relatively insignificant game and I wouldn't blame anyone for not making the journey down on Tuesday but I'm hoping, rather than expecting, to have family bragging rights by the end of it.

I don't see it being a match where we are totally outplayed, but they are the team at the top who are grinding out a lot of wins this season, hence 10 1-0 wins and 15 clean sheets this season.  Their success so far this season has been built on a solid defensive unit but their centre backs, while tall and strong, are not too quick.  At left back they are currently on their 4th of the season and Brennan Dickinson likes to get forward.  By playing Smith on the right we have our best chance to find space and hit them on the break.

The heartbeat of their team is Nicky Law, so it could be a bit of useful that he went off after 30 minutes today.  However his replacement Matt Jay was pretty much the man of the match playing a similar role.  They've mostly played 4-2-3-1 this season and their 3 attacking midfielders (Law, Lee Martin and Randell Williams) are where their big goal threat comes from as they can all play on either flank and play centrally between the opposition defence and midfield.  On Saturday they went 4-4-2 with Ajose alongside Bowman, but Williams, Jay and Law when he was on all started wide but drifted centrally.

It's a test of Dino's tactics (worryingly).  4-4-2 is the way to go with Sylla and ideally McCann in centre mid.  Sylla to deal with the strength and power of Nigel Atangana and McCann to sit in and nullify the threat of the attacking midfielder in front of our defence.  I rate both Sylla and Missilou individually but I think they'll be exposed positionally if they play as a pair on Tuesday.  In attack we need a player to play on their last defender, for me Dearnley (if fit) or Wilson will fill this role alongside Rowe.  Get the ball into Rowe's feet then through balls to the 2nd striker and we'll be able to do some damage.  I rate Maouche but this won't be his kind of game in my opinion.

Hamer
Wheater
Piergianni

Smith
Sylla
Nepomuceno

Rowe
Dearnley (or Wilson)

There is more sense in this post than we've heard all season from Dino.

Bosh, get your CV up to date. Hopefully 🤡 will offer relocation expenses.

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Cheers Worcester, but honestly a week or two of annual leave and hotel costs would suit both parties before both the 🤡 and I realise that we're useless.

1 hour ago, Downender said:

planning on being there....so long as storm "whatever stupid fkin name they've given it".....has blown itself out

a point will be super smashing great :)

I think your loyalty will be rewarded after we win and everything will settle down once more 👍

20 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Hamer
Wheater
Piergianni

Smith
Sylla
Nepomuceno

Rowe
Dearnley (or Wilson)

Agree with most of that. 

I'd rather see Mills start than Hamer, who needs a rest. 

Think we're far more likely to see him start though, and Maouche instead Dearnley.

37 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Agree with most of that. 

I'd rather see Mills start than Hamer, who needs a rest. 

Think we're far more likely to see him start though, and Maouche instead Dearnley.

I currently rate Mills as a better right back than Hamer, but Hamer has more potential and the game time will be better for him and us long term.  If he needs a rest or if CBJ isn't fit, I'd throw Mills straight in at either full back positions.

I think we'll need solidity in central midfield and at least one front man who will stretch their defence by playing on the last man.  Maouche doesn't fit either role and he shouldn't get in ahead of Rowe so I'd have him on the bench for Tuesday.  That's not to say I'd have him starting other games as he clearly has ability.

I agree that I think Dino will start him though.  It's interesting that people have questioned his tactics a lot so far despite his overall record being not bad (not great either of course).  I have some sympathy for games like Cheltenham for example where the formation made sense but he didn't have the personnel to execute it, but Crewe on Saturday sounded like he managed the situation badly (getting deeper and deeper for the last 30 mins and not using subs stands out like a sore thumb).  I don't think management is all about tactics but it's a significant flaw if he wants to keep the job long enough to have a full season in charge.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, Worcester Owl said:

Randall William's likes to cut in from wide, something which was our undoing at Crewe where Kirk was allowed to do that.

Will that be nullified at Exeter?

Something tells me though we will see exactly a repeat.

Mills right back and CBJ left back for me tomorrow night. 
hopefully Dearnley in for Maouche with McCann back in probably for Missilou. I like Missilou and the pairing with Sylla has been effective recently and I would probably prefer to replace Nepo but this would unbalance the midfield.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:05 AM, the_mighty_bosh said:

Hamer
Wheater
Piergianni

Smith
Sylla
Nepomuceno

Rowe
Dearnley (or Wilson)

Quite a good insight into our setup, however we usually play a sort of lopsided 352, with Williams pushing higher on the right hand side. We are very hard to break down at the back, though lack a clinical edge up top. Looking forward to an interesting game, but think we’ll win. 

Archived