Man City banned from Europe

The two year ban seems to be regarded as harsh but if the ban is upheld City will have cheated.  They will have had a better squad than they otherwise would have had.

It is a little bit like letting an Olympic athlete, who has been found out taking drugs, to keep their medals but to be banned from future competitions.  So financial fair play is rather a toothless thing.

City have virtually rebuilt that part of Manchester and invested £millions in the local community just like most football fans would like their own clubs to do 

I wonder if UEFA took that type of £investment into consideration 🤔

Youre not telling me that Barcelona Real Madrid and PSG are falling within the UEFA Fair Play rules 

14 minutes ago, tGWB said:

City have virtually rebuilt that part of Manchester and invested £millions in the local community just like most football fans would like their own clubs to do 

I wonder if UEFA took that type of £investment into consideration 🤔

that sort of expenditure is excluded from FFP considerations.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

that sort of expenditure is excluded from FFP considerations.

Ah, is it as simple as Advertising/Marketing/Sponsorship as a % of Club Revenues then 

Very short sighted then that by UEFA to not consider the £m’s a club spends in improving the local community.

1 minute ago, tGWB said:

Ah, is it as simple as Advertising/Marketing/Sponsorship as a % of Club Revenues then 

Very short sighted then that by UEFA to not consider the £m’s a club spends in improving the local community.

No, as in they can spend lots on academy and community stuff and it doesn't matter

As much as I hate city, I’m actually annoyed at this. There finances can’t be in a worse state than psg’s   and the three Spanish clubs surely.

My thoughts are, possibly cynical I admit, but it seems like they only come for English clubs. I presume Chelseas ban was handed down by fifa where as this is uefa but there both as corrupt as eachother. 

Secondly both clubs have rich owners who are in a position to ‘influence appeal decisions’ with some pretty fat envelopes being exchanged. Sounds to me like someone at uefa needs some extra income. 

It stinks either way and at the risk of sounding boring, football is literally all about money nowadays, even down to our level - prime example being me sat at home today for the first time this season, because two slimey business/con men are seeing who blinks first over a couple of quid. 

This is doing the rounds on social media. Obviously bias towards City but has some interesting points:on the football elite:

Once upon a time, there was a really prestigious football tournament called the European Cup, which was based on sporting excellence. It brought together outstanding teams from across the continent. To qualify teams first had to prove themselves by winning their own league, this truly was a competition for champions.

With the glory though also came the opportunity for great wealth & eventually the principal of sporting excellence was overtaken by greed. The self-appointed elite of the time "the European Royalty" decided they wanted a greater share of the spoils & they wanted it guaranteed regardless of their performance!

The grubby little cartel (later known as the G14) threatened to break away & form their own Super League, unless everyone else agreed to their demands! Feeling they had little choice, UEFA caved in & the"Champions" League was born.

At the heart of this self-serving little cartel were 3 English clubs (Man United, Liverpool & Arsenal) & coincidentally the format of the new competition granted 3 places to English teams. It also changed from a straight knockout format to an initial group stage. So now not only could they still qualify by only finishing 2nd or 3rd in the Premier League, they were also guaranteed at least 6 lucrative fixtures each season.

BOOM! The money started rolling in & the big 3 got fatter, as they disappeared over the horizon, leaving the rest of the league with little chance of ever challenging their increasing financial dominance!

Then out of the blue, a wealthy Russian Oligarch, Roman Abramovich, rolled into town to bankroll Chelsea & gatecrash the party! With the gravy train now under threat, the greedy little threesome convinced UEFA to increase the English allocation to 4 places! Phew disaster averted, onwards & upwards, no harm done...

That was until the "evil" Sheikh Mansour bought Manchester City with his unlimited "dirty oil money!"!

Now with UEFA unable or unwilling to accommodate this latest unwelcome guest at the top table, a new strategy was required to preserve the dominance of the established elite. Without further a do, the "Financial Fair Play" was conceived! 

This had little to do with "fair play", turning a blind eye to debt ridden clubs & owners that systematically drained money out of the game! It was solely designed to stop wealthy owners investing in clubs & making them competitive; thus ensuring the lazy established elite remained unchallenged.

Undeterred by the bogus nature of these new constraints targeted at them & any future investors, Manchester City embarked on transforming the club, with initial investment to break the cartel & putting top quality people in place, off the field as well as on it.

In addition to breaking all records on the pitch, the club achieved commercial sustainability & delivered 4 years of profit. The club is now independently valued at over £2B (reportedly outstripping all the Premier League old-guard). This has shown a huge return on Sheikh Mansour's £1.2B investment & dispelling the lie of "financial doping".

So what do the owners of the established "European Royalty" do now? Up their game? Risk their own money to meet the challenge? No! They utilise their stooges in the media to try & discredit City's achievements & demand UEFA do "something" to derail Citys' progress!

A journalist on 5Live apparently just said his paper phoned the big law firms up wanting to work on an in-depth story and all of them said they were representing City and therefore couldn't help them.

It looks like Khaldoon's threat to spend £30m on lawyers rather than pay a penny in UEFA fines is in play!

13 hours ago, tGWB said:

At the heart of this self-serving little cartel

Odd. Pre 1992? I'm sure the author means building a dynasty through hard work and good decisions, like United, Arsenal and Liverpool did over the previous century all to win something like 40 league titles between them. It's only self serving if you're on the outside trying to catch up and can't wait, and arguably the EPL arms race was started by Chelsea, not these three.

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

Odd. Pre 1992? I'm sure the author means building a dynasty through hard work and good decisions, like United, Arsenal and Liverpool did over the previous century all to win something like 40 league titles between them. It's only self serving if you're on the outside trying to catch up and can't wait, and arguably the EPL arms race was started by Chelsea, not these three.

Fair point Matt

The bottom line is that the UEFA investigation is based on information from  Rui Pinto, a hacker who is currently in prison awaiting trial for over 140 offences, not an audit completed by a football authority. 

City will vigorously defend the punishment from UEFA but if we’re brutally honest, City have already lost a lot more than a Champions League spot, they have lost their reputation as genuine winners as Saracens have in Rugby Union.

Not the fault of their managers or players but tainted just the same.

City have also been fined €30m which is probably more than the value of all the clubs in League2 put together 

Mad aint it 🙄

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Off topic by a mile, yesterday whilst having a brew I watched the Leicester - Wasps game on TV, it was absolute garbage.

I happily watch Super Rugby from down under.  Domestic rugby union is paint drying stuff.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, Clubfootkilkenny said:

As much as I hate city, I’m actually annoyed at this. There finances can’t be in a worse state than psg’s   and the three Spanish clubs surely.

My thoughts are, possibly cynical I admit, but it seems like they only come for English clubs. I presume Chelseas ban was handed down by fifa where as this is uefa but there both as corrupt as eachother. 

Secondly both clubs have rich owners who are in a position to ‘influence appeal decisions’ with some pretty fat envelopes being exchanged. Sounds to me like someone at uefa needs some extra income. 

It stinks either way and at the risk of sounding boring, football is literally all about money nowadays, even down to our level - prime example being me sat at home today for the first time this season, because two slimey business/con men are seeing who blinks first over a couple of quid. 

FIFA/UEFA Accusing any team of financial cheating is like a coal mine calling a speck of soot black, hypocritical bastards.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, WLYOWD said:

FIFA/UEFA Accusing any team of financial cheating is like a coal mine calling a speck of soot black, hypocritical bastards.

I see they have allowed Barcelona to sign Martin Braithwaite outside the transfer window because Suarez is injured 

14 minutes ago, astottie said:

I see they have allowed Barcelona to sign Martin Braithwaite outside the transfer window because Suarez is injured 

I may be wrong but it is a Spanish league thing, all clubs can do it, he is not eligible for European football. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I may be wrong but it is a Spanish league thing, all clubs can do it, he is not eligible for European football. 

He's not at the moment, but I think each round of the Champions League has squad lists. I think he could eligible for future games from the quarter final stage. 

41 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

He's not at the moment, but I think each round of the Champions League has squad lists. I think he could eligible for future games from the quarter final stage. 

According to the Spanish press he can only play league games as Farsa are out of the cup and he hasn't been registered in time to play the final stages in Europe.

17 hours ago, astottie said:

Surez AND Dembele actually.

It's a legit move and within the rules. lt's actually a rule which has existed for a few years but this is the first time it has been used. Valencia are also attempting to use it.

My personal view is that it is a silly rule.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Surez AND Dembele actually.

It's a legit move and within the rules. lt's actually a rule which has existed for a few years but this is the first time it has been used. Valencia are also attempting to use it.

My personal view is that it is a silly rule.

Is it just a rule in Spain then or all the leagues in UEFAs jurisdiction? 

Archived