Ian Stott rip

RIP Ian Stott 

Chairman of Latics throughout our glory days of reaching Wembley and returning to the Promised Land of the First Division the end of the 1990/91 season.

Not sure if maybe he should have been more proactive in trying to ensure we stayed at the top table instead of administering cuts once we started struggling and the Dream faded but not the time to argue now.

Thanks Ian Stott - sleep well sir   

8 minutes ago, al_bro said:

A proper chairman. If he had had his way when he was on the FA board, the Premiership would now be paying EFL clubs a hell of a lot more money.

RIP Ian.

Except that the greedy bastards in the Premiership would have reversed any of those decisions Stott may have been party to by now !!

He comes to mind as being the chairman of our most glorious period but also still in situ when many poor decisions were made.

However what would we give for a man of his ilk now - RIP Ian Stott.

For all the memories of his presiding over our most successful period in living memory, it's the little things that matter. Something today's version of OAFC, and most other clubs to be fair, would do well to remember.

In 1985 I was ten and on my way to the club shop to buy my first Oldham kit. Bumped into him outside the shop as we were on our way in. He welcomed us like long lost friends, went inside the shop with us, sorted me out with kit and waved us on his way himself before heading back to whatever 'more important' stuff he was doing.

Still have the fully signed program from 1986 he organised too.

Might not seem like much, but little touches like that cemented the way I felt about my club forever and 35 years later are a big part of why I still care.

RIP Ian and thank you.

When I was little my Dad rang the club and asked if there was a tour round the stadium we could do (we struggled to get to games as we lived in Yorkshire). It was during 89/90 season so he expected there’d be a few others there too as we were told to come at a certain time. 

My dad, me and my sister arrived and met the community officer (was it John Platt? He was brilliant) who said it was just us. He gave us a tour of the ground and even into the chairman’s office. Mr Stott was in there and was very welcoming and said we had access all areas. Was a lovely gesture and meant we could walk across the pitch during a 1st team training session. Joe Royle came over and chatted to us for a bit. I was totally star struck. 

We were a proper fan first family club when he was in charge so he’ll always have my gratitude for that. RIP and thank you 💙 

Very sad. As everyone has said, a proper gent. He managed the club through the glory years and was an integral part of the general culture of the place (a joy to experience, even before 1990). I wish we had a man of his good manners and grace in charge. Everyone since has been...let's leave it there.

God rest your soul Ian.

Met Mr Stott on a couple of occasions and like others have said he was a gentleman. Was chairman when everyone said what a friendly welcoming club it was and we can all look back on those days and be thankful to Mr Stott and his team.

RIP Ian

23 hours ago, nzlatic said:

When I was little my Dad rang the club and asked if there was a tour round the stadium we could do (we struggled to get to games as we lived in Yorkshire). It was during 89/90 season so he expected there’d be a few others there too as we were told to come at a certain time. 

My dad, me and my sister arrived and met the community officer (was it John Platt? He was brilliant) who said it was just us. He gave us a tour of the ground and even into the chairman’s office. Mr Stott was in there and was very welcoming and said we had access all areas. Was a lovely gesture and meant we could walk across the pitch during a 1st team training session. Joe Royle came over and chatted to us for a bit. I was totally star struck. 

We were a proper fan first family club when he was in charge so he’ll always have my gratitude for that. RIP and thank you 💙 

This is the sort of thing any football club should be able to do easily

We need to get back to this sort of community club reputation that we used to hold if we ever get the club back   

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

This is the sort of thing any football club should be able to do easily

We need to get back to this sort of community club reputation that we used to hold if we ever get the club back   

Yep, costs so little but worth so much 

My brother shared this with me:

‘Favourite memory? 

Met Ian Stott, who was carrying the Div 2 trophy, in the doorway of the Player's Entrance. Conversation went like this: "Is that...?" "It is." "Can I...?"  "Course you can lad.." 🤩

Ian Stott - Rest in Peace.

Archived