Hampton & MATCH: Richmond Borough FC. FA Cup First Round.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, boyinthesnow said:

Well. I can't see Arsenal refusing Clarke. Wrexham are already out, so Grant should be fine. So down to Lawlor and Garrity.

5 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Leeds lad?

Can see Lawlor playing, as he's on a season long loan. Likewise for Garrity and McCalmont. 

Then again I think a player on a season long loan was stopped from playing by their parent club in recent seasons. 

Obviously in the minority here but I couldn’t care less about this, or any cup. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want us to lose tomorrow and I didn’t see the premier league years so I’ve not been to many big grounds. I’ve done Goodison and Molyneux in the FA Cup when we had a half decent team. They were great days out. 

I’m just struggling to see what benefit progressing in this will bring.

Extra games for an already wafer thin squad, a potential trip to one of the big 6 that none of us can go to. Finance packages that are almost certain not to go back into the club. 

I don’t want us to lose tomorrow, just for the embarrassment but I’d much prefer to have drawn a bottom half league one team and loose out narrowly. 

I just don’t understand how you can enjoy the cup with the embarrassing league performances and position. That’s the reason I didn’t go to Fulham,  which I do slightly regret but my point is, I’d take a play off tilt or even a decent league campaign over any cup run. 

I think I’d respect Kewell a bit more if he played the kids or a weekend team (whatever that is) tomorrow. 

Anyone see where I’m coming from or am I way off the mark here?  Just pissed off with this constant decline and struggling to see positives. 

2 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want us to lose tomorrow and I didn’t see the premier league years so I’ve not been to many big grounds. I’ve done Goodison and Molyneux in the FA Cup when we had a half decent team. They were great days out. 

Extra games for an already wafer thin squad, a potential trip to one of the big 6 that none of us can go to. Finance packages that are almost certain not to go back into the club. 

I don’t want us to lose tomorrow, just for the embarrassment but I’d much prefer to have drawn a bottom half league one team and loose out narrowly. 

I just don’t understand how you can enjoy the cup with the embarrassing league performances and position. That’s the reason I didn’t go to Fulham,  which I do slightly regret but my point is, I’d take a play off tilt or even a decent league campaign over any cup run. 

I think I’d respect Kewell a bit more if he played the kids or a weekend team (whatever that is) tomorrow. 

Anyone see where I’m coming from or am I way off the mark here?  Just pissed off with this constant decline and struggling to see positives. 

But I care enough to put out a long post on the subject 😉

Here’s my take:

The benefits that this game might bring are mainly financial. Just short of 50k should we win. And a win is always good for any team. Then there’s the possibility of more tv money with a second round tie. And you say finance packages that are ‘almost certain not to go back into the club’ - how so? What do you base that statement on? As a minimum that money will be used to pay wages I think.

Also we don’t have too many games scheduled for November so our ‘wafer thin’ squad’ should cope.

I don’t understand how a fan of any club cannot enjoy a cup run irrespective of that clubs league position. And as for not going to Fulham, I know of a few who did the same and everyone of them regrets their decision... but hindsight is always 20/20 😀

We should play a strong team today (we can play ‘the kids’ on Tuesday in the tinpot cup) and we should win.

You ask of yourself  “am I way off the mark here?”  - in my opinion, yes. I think ‘just pissed off with this constant decline’ accurately sums up your mood, and I do get that.

Of course, if we lose today...

56 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

But I care enough to put out a long post on the subject 😉

Here’s my take:

The benefits that this game might bring are mainly financial. Just short of 50k should we win. And a win is always good for any team. Then there’s the possibility of more tv money with a second round tie. And you say finance packages that are ‘almost certain not to go back into the club’ - how so? What do you base that statement on? As a minimum that money will be used to pay wages I think.

Also we don’t have too many games scheduled for November so our ‘wafer thin’ squad’ should cope.

I don’t understand how a fan of any club cannot enjoy a cup run irrespective of that clubs league position. And as for not going to Fulham, I know of a few who did the same and everyone of them regrets their decision... but hindsight is always 20/20 😀

We should play a strong team today (we can play ‘the kids’ on Tuesday in the tinpot cup) and we should win.

You ask of yourself  “am I way off the mark here?”  - in my opinion, yes. I think ‘just pissed off with this constant decline’ accurately sums up your mood, and I do get that.

Of course, if we lose today...

Thanks for the reply big dog! Course I care about latics.  I just don’t see the benefits a cup run brings, especially this year.  We’ve all got our opinions on where any money would go. 

I can’t get up for the cup with the state of our league performance. Some might say it’s a welcome distraction but not for me.

6 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Thanks for the reply big dog! Course I care about latics.  I just don’t see the benefits a cup run brings, especially this year.  We’ve all got our opinions on where any money would go. 

I can’t get up for the cup with the state of our league performance. Some might say it’s a welcome distraction but not for me.

You may never get a day in the league that will be as much fun as Fulham 

I think Big Joe is on record somewhere as saying the two cup runs funded the promotion run to the top tier. I think the cash available now dwarfs what was available back then. In the Fulham year we could have beaten Doncaster which would probably have provided another live TV game. A run of  games like that would completely cover the current wage bill.

Of course that might mean ALMO just put less in, and you might have to watch him grinning all over the TV, and be some motivation for him hanging around longer. We've no way of knowing how close is to quitting, I have no insight into why he stays around. But there is a chance by round 3 some spectators may be allowed into games- an away at a struggling premier team would do nicely and just maybe some of the cash might be used intelligently to strengthen the squad.

Thought the majority might. 
Can’t help how I feel, I‘ve been slated for being too positive on here in the past so I’m not on the wind up. 
I’ve seen some poor latics teams in my time, but I’m just exasperated at the standard of our squad. It’ll be interesting to see today how many of their players would get in our team, quite a few I’d guess at. 

1 hour ago, Longlostfan said:

I think Big Joe is on record somewhere as saying the two cup runs funded the promotion run to the top tier. I think the cash available now dwarfs what was available back then. In the Fulham year we could have beaten Doncaster which would probably have provided another live TV game. A run of  games like that would completely cover the current wage bill.

Of course that might mean ALMO just put less in, and you might have to watch him grinning all over the TV, and be some motivation for him hanging around longer. We've no way of knowing how close is to quitting, I have no insight into why he stays around. But there is a chance by round 3 some spectators may be allowed into games- an away at a struggling premier team would do nicely and just maybe some of the cash might be used intelligently to strengthen the squad.

you think mo will strengthen intelligently  with the evidence of the last 3 years ? 

6 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I've got mixed feelings. I'll be watching us today for the first time this season. I'm refusing to give our current regime any more money. I cannot do anything other than desperately want us to play well and win convincingly. Even though it will mean more money for ALMo and more games to cope with. The inevitability of getting Arsenal or Spurs away and not being able to go (if we make the third round). 

Upvote for weekend team. 

6 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I've got mixed feelings. I'll be watching us today for the first time this season. I'm refusing to give our current regime any more money. I cannot do anything other than desperately want us to play well and win convincingly. Even though it will mean more money for ALMo and more games to cope with. The inevitability of getting Arsenal or Spurs away and not being able to go (if we make the third round). 

Upvote for weekend team. 

It’ll be interesting to see what you think of this crop of players then if it’s your first game of the season.  Enjoy 👍

44 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

you think mo will strengthen intelligently  with the evidence of the last 3 years ?

I did say 'just maybe'. I am confident- absolutely not, I am hopeful- probably a bit in a slightly deluded way.

Of course it might just mean they stay around for longer and we continue to sink.

Archived