MATCH: vs Harrogate Town (H) 02/10/21

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, rvlatic said:

Agree - he looked like a right footed right winger being told to play at left (wing)back.  - he is not a defender imo and is pretty decent when played properly. 

I'd say he's probably only capable of playing RB. He isn't a terrible defender 1 on 1 and he's at least got recovery pace. His positioning often leaves something to be desired but that's not out of place here. He's a poor man's Kyle Walker. Whilst he can and does get forward his final ball is woeful and he has 0 composure. His problem yesterday was he has no confidence on his left foot. He usually just pegs it towards the byline but if you do that on the left you pretty much guarantee having to use your left foot, which he didn't want to do. I'd have much rather seen them switched so stobbs was on the left, at least he could cut in and have a pop. 

Fage didn't track the goal scorer for their second and should have been subbed immediately in my opinion. When getting forward near the box he seems to run out of ideas, seems reluctant to shoot ( a team trait ) and just chips a ball into the middle when a low hard cross could be more rewarding.

His best games are when supporting Bahamboola down the right and obviously Curle was hoping they'd do the same down the opposite flank, but they didn't.

I've not totally given up on him but he needs to tie down his place in the team in just one position if he is to progress.

15 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

4 pages of comments on the game, and no mention of how utterly useless Fage was.

Zero skills, didn't look interested, and body language that screamed I don't want to here.

And our longest serving player by quite a way. 

19 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Some of the most inept management I've seen at this club. KC persists in 3 central defenders despite conceding loads and scoring few.

He's an head in the sand ostrich who even at the end of game when losing won't throw a big man up front.

Incredibly he brings on the soft deep lying midfielder Bowden who hasn't contributed in any of the games he's played for us.

I'd send him and Bettache back as their hearts don't appear to be in this club and bring in a couple of competitive forwards in January.

Their centre forward Armstrong showed what's needed at this club, but signed Hope who runs about and achieves absolutely nothing.

As for Fage and Diarra, if that's the best we can do we really are a lost cause.

Harrogate today were short of two of their best defenders so Curle persists with 1 lightweight striker.

I've said from the beginning I'm not a fan of Curles tactics and formation and feel a change is needed as he obviously won't change his ways.

This is what I find staggeringly unbelievable. Calls like, "Let's change the manager" for the umpteenth time under this regime. End result - exactly the same shite (generally) you've been served up since they took the reigns. The ONLY AIM all fans should have is to bring about a change of ownership. Anything else is a waste of precious energy and oxygen (in my humble opinion). 

19 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Fage didn't track the goal scorer for their second and should have been subbed immediately in my opinion

And replace him with who?

We didn't have a single wide player or defender on the bench.

I agree he had a bad match out of position, but I'm not sure what the alternative was. 

45 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I'd say he's probably only capable of playing RB. He isn't a terrible defender 1 on 1 and he's at least got recovery pace. His positioning often leaves something to be desired but that's not out of place here. He's a poor man's Kyle Walker. Whilst he can and does get forward his final ball is woeful and he has 0 composure. His problem yesterday was he has no confidence on his left foot. He usually just pegs it towards the byline but if you do that on the left you pretty much guarantee having to use your left foot, which he didn't want to do. I'd have much rather seen them switched so stobbs was on the left, at least he could cut in and have a pop. 

You'd have imagined KC would have thought that, same with not sending Piergianna up front late in the game. He's too rigid for my liking and can't see what's going wrong on the pitch earlier enough. An example was the ineffective Diarra who should have been taken off at half time or even earlier. My opinion is he's obsessed  with central  defenders and defensive midfielders, but as goals are still being conceded he should try a creative approach to score more than the dismal tally so far.

He won't though as he's a stick in the mud manager. 

5 hours ago, wiseowl said:

This is what I find staggeringly unbelievable. Calls like, "Let's change the manager" for the umpteenth time under this regime. End result - exactly the same shite (generally) you've been served up since they took the reigns. The ONLY AIM all fans should have is to bring about a change of ownership. Anything else is a waste of precious energy and oxygen (in my humble opinion). 

I know, but what can you do people will just go to the default mode of let's blame the manager and when the next manager fails we will have to sack him too, and the next, and the next ad infinitum.

And if we somehow get lucky and find a manager who can miraculously get something out of this squad working under this owner and leaves for another better job the same people who call for the sacking of every manager after a few bad results will be outraged at how the manager didn't show loyalty.

21 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Fans won't accept poor results, particularly when goals are hard to come by and directors usually act accordingly.

The difference here is AL brought him as he knew he'd toe the party line.

As you say though its the owner responsible above all.

18 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I agree he had a bad match out of position, but I'm not sure what the alternative was. 

Well he ended up sticking Vaughn out there, and nobody passed to him, so he could have done that earlier or Bettache who at least has a left foot and wouldn't slow down attacks by constantly cutting inside.

We've really missed Hart who I thought was probably our best player in our first few matches.

21 hours ago, rossy52 said:

Just swore loudly at my laptop listening to Curle saying if we had their centre forward ( Armstrong) we would have won !!Why havent we got a proper centre forward , cos you or Mo  didnt sign one even though every week even roy and mike keep saying if only we had one to hold the ball up get on the end of crosses etc . Its obvious to us all what we need . Im starting to lose patience with Curle im afraid

They probably tried, but the embargo put a quick stop to it. Goal scorers cost money.

Roy and Mikey said we have five players back in three weeks. That should improve things, but we will still be short of a couple of strikers and the kind we need won't be available in January.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

They probably tried, but the embargo put a quick stop to it. Goal scorers cost money.

Roy and Mikey said we have five players back in three weeks. That should improve things, but we will still be short of a couple of strikers and the kind we need won't be available in January.

Might be available, but won't be available to us

6 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The alternative was to sub him for ANYONE that actually showed a modicum of interest in playing football. 

On 10/2/2021 at 6:31 PM, welshgaz said:

This is a point that needs exploring more. Doesn’t get raised anywhere near enough. Lad has a near free role in the team and simply doesn’t produce anywhere near enough to warrant that. Yes he’s talented and megs people from time to time, but with that little defensive responsibility we need miles more from him. 

I mean he literally put it on a plate for Stobbs making a cross out of nothing after having to take on about 3 players...

9 hours ago, GKing521 said:

I mean he literally put it on a plate for Stobbs making a cross out of nothing after having to take on about 3 players...

Why do our players stand 20 yards away watching instead if offering support ?

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived