MATCH: vs Exeter City (A) 13/11/21

• Bender changed the title to MATCH: vs Exeter City (A) 13/11/21
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does baffle me that the games in League 1 and 2 this weekend are available as pay-per-view on iFollow.

The reason given is that it is an internationals weekend 🤔

I presume that the rationale behind this decision is that there will be many fans of teams without games to go to - and that these fans will potentially pay to watch lower league football broadcast via a single fixed camera…

Wouldn’t it make more sense to encourage big club supporters to actually attend these games? Or has that not proved successful in the past?

That said, I had planned to drive to the game but instead I will be handing over ten pounds sterling to watch the game from the comfort of my living room. See it as my contribution to reducing emissions etc.

Kudos to all who do make the long journey to Devon 👍

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It does baffle me that the games in League 1 and 2 this weekend are available as pay-per-view on iFollow.

The reason given is that it is an internationals weekend 🤔

I presume that the rationale behind this decision is that there will be many fans of teams without games to go to - and that these fans will potentially pay to watch lower league football broadcast via a single fixed camera…

Wouldn’t it make more sense to encourage big club supporters to actually attend these games? Or has that not proved successful in the past?

Interesting one.  I can see the argument that a casual fan of a Premier League team is more likely to spend £10 on iFollow than £20+travel+parking+food to come in person.

If you really want the atmosphere of lower league football in person and aren't too bothered about either team or the result, you'd probably go to your local non-league instead.

I've only seen Exeter once so far this season, but my brother has a season ticket and has watched the majority of home games and saidbl it was quite indicative of the way they've played this season.

Their weaker area of the team is their defence.  In the match I saw they played a back four but they've more often than not played a back three this season, with the back four they have some OK defenders individually but weren't a great unit and didn't get a lot of protection from their central midfield, which was surprising with Tim Dieng in there but he was much more of a threat further up the pitch.  Dieng is suspended for Saturday and will probably be replaced by Nigel Atangana, who is less of a threat going forward but will give the defence more protection.

Their big strength is their attacking unit.  From last season they've replaced Nicky Law's quality on the ball and Ryan Bowman's strength and power with Sam Nombe and Jevani Brown.  As a result their attack is much much faster, both in terms of the way they move the ball around and the pace their attackers have.  Nombe is a less bulky but quicker version of Clarke-Harris and I won't be surprised to see him heading back up the leagues within 18 months.

If they play with a back 3 and an attacking 3 then I think our defence should 🤞 be able to do OK against them.  If they play a back 4 and a front 4 I think we'll need our wing-backs to do a lot of defensive work to help our back 3.  Either way, our best chance of getting something is counter-attacking with pace.  If Bahamboula plays deeper he should get the chance to run at their back line, it's whether our forwards can actually find their shooting boots (...gulp).

17 unbeaten in all competitions means that the odds are that they'll win, but like last season there are opportunities to come out of this game with something if we get our strategy right.

12 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

it's whether our forwards can actually find their shooting boots (...gulp).

If they can then we have a chance…

I note that Exeter were 3-0 up after twelve minutes (and leading 5-0 at half time) against Brizzle Rovers on Wednesday.

The game ended 5-3 so they either substituted a few early in the second half or Joey Barton gave an inspirational half time team talk! 😮

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

If they can then we have a chance…

I note that Exeter were 3-0 up after twelve minutes (and leading 5-0 at half time) against Brizzle Rovers on Wednesday.

The game ended 5-3 so they either substituted a few early in the second half or Joey Barton gave an inspirational half time team talk! 😮

That team on Wednesday was mostly a 2nd XI (plus Dieng) which shows the depth in their squad.  Oddly Exeter have played Bristol Rovers twice at home this season (in the League and Trophy) and Bristol Rovers won the 2nd halves 4-0 but Exeter won the 1st halves 9-0!

I've heard rumours that Barton's team talk on Wednesday was incredible, he really upped the number of completely inappropriate WW2 references in his teamtalk.

55 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I've heard rumours that Barton's team talk on Wednesday was incredible, he really upped the number of completely inappropriate WW2 references in his teamtalk.

He is such a monumental weapon I bet the brothers Grimm are eyeing him up to replace Curle as “a gift to the fan”

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I've only seen Exeter once so far this season, but my brother has a season ticket and has watched the majority of home games and saidbl it was quite indicative of the way they've played this season.

Their weaker area of the team is their defence.  In the match I saw they played a back four but they've more often than not played a back three this season, with the back four they have some OK defenders individually but weren't a great unit and didn't get a lot of protection from their central midfield, which was surprising with Tim Dieng in there but he was much more of a threat further up the pitch.  Dieng is suspended for Saturday and will probably be replaced by Nigel Atangana, who is less of a threat going forward but will give the defence more protection.

Their big strength is their attacking unit.  From last season they've replaced Nicky Law's quality on the ball and Ryan Bowman's strength and power with Sam Nombe and Jevani Brown.  As a result their attack is much much faster, both in terms of the way they move the ball around and the pace their attackers have.  Nombe is a less bulky but quicker version of Clarke-Harris and I won't be surprised to see him heading back up the leagues within 18 months.

If they play with a back 3 and an attacking 3 then I think our defence should 🤞 be able to do OK against them.  If they play a back 4 and a front 4 I think we'll need our wing-backs to do a lot of defensive work to help our back 3.  Either way, our best chance of getting something is counter-attacking with pace.  If Bahamboula plays deeper he should get the chance to run at their back line, it's whether our forwards can actually find their shooting boots (...gulp).

17 unbeaten in all competitions means that the odds are that they'll win, but like last season there are opportunities to come out of this game with something if we get our strategy right.

They'll be safe against our strikers!

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

We are going to get twatted here, aren't we. 

The next months worth of fixtures look very tough however I expect us to pick up a couple of surprise results along the way. For some reason we always pick up a few good results against the bigger teams.

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The next months worth of fixtures look very tough however I expect us to pick up a couple of surprise results along the way. For some reason we always pick up a few good results against the bigger teams.

Exeter bigger

you're right of course these days but I still need a sick bag 

6 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Their weaker area of the team is their defence.  In the match I saw they played a back four but they've more often than not played a back three this season,

I read up to here then stopped, as you're obviously a liar. Can't be in 4th playing 3 at the back

Archived