MATCH: vs Swindon Town (A) 12/03/22

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

So who starts… what’s the XI?

As plenty of others have pointed out in this thread, we are desperately short of options. I'd prefer Vaughan or even Couto ahead of Bahamboula.

If we put Pidge up front as has been suggested I dread to think what our back four might look like. 

On 3/12/2022 at 7:07 PM, Ritchierich said:

I assume from a lot of the posts that not many actually saw the game. 

Just got back and we were unlucky, for all Swindon possession and attacking play they didn’t really look like they’d score until the Ref helped them out by not giving us a blatant shirt pull on Bam and they went  straight down the other end and got a set piece and our hastily reorganised defence got caught out having battled for 100 mins

Nothing wrong with the fight and passions today and do that for the remaining games and we’ll pick up the points we need 

Shez obviously doesn’t think the kids are the answer and he’s probably right

Swindon spent most of the game falling over and getting our players booked. The ref was shite and their fans pathetically quiet until they got their lucky break and then celebrated like they had won the league

Need a win on Tuesday 

Sorry but we got battered yesterday, regardless of whether Swindon created clear cut chances or not a better team would of put 4 or 5 past us.

33 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Few people sayin Piergianni banned for tues? I didn't see him pick up a yellow yesterday?

He picked one up after about 40 minutes. I think the ref played advantage and then went back to book Pidge for a foul near halfway.

As one of his bookings was in the Pizza Trophy, I don’t think he is banned but he’s only one booking away. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

He picked one up after about 40 minutes. I think the ref played advantage and then went back to book Pidge for a foul near halfway.

As one of his bookings was in the Pizza Trophy, I don’t think he is banned but he’s only one booking away. 

Yeah now you've said that I remember. Once he gets his tenth is it 2 games ban?

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Sorry but we got battered yesterday, regardless of whether Swindon created clear cut chances or not a better team would of put 4 or 5 past us.

Are there any better teams though. They are 6th and 2 points off second. Maybe FGR. Rest are same standard. Even with our crap side we can def win games by just being organised 

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Yeah now you've said that I remember. Once he gets his tenth is it 2 games ban?

I think it will be a 2 game ban unless he can avoid another booking until game 37. I think Sam Hart is 1 booking away from a 2 game ban as well. Knowing our luck, McGahey will be out for a while and these two will get booked on Tues so we’ll miss 3 of the back 4 at the same time 🤪

Sheridan post match interview - We did defend heroically and we are missing players but…

Shouldn’t be giving a simple foul away.
Too many off their game.

We make silly fouls and decisions.

Poor ability on the ball.
Players have got to push each other more.

Poor aimless clearances.

We should read the game better and play the ball forward more quickly.

Poor decision making when giving away fouls. ”Stand on your feet”

Suffice to say he is not happy with the players… 😮

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Sheridan post match interview - We did defend heroically and we are missing players but…

Too many off their game.

Poor aimless clearances.

Sounds exactly like my old pub team managers post match summary....but a bit less colourful!

What else can he say. He knows their limited ability.

Like some have said it's a straight shoot out now between us and Stevenage I think...and maybe Barrow but I recon they will be Ok.

Next 4 home games after the game at Walsall on Tuesday, are a must to get a couple of wins....and then Stevenage away on 2 April🙏 

Too many off their game.

Poor aimless clearances.

Not sure these kind of comments are particularly helpful at this stage of proceedings, however true they may be.

Too many off their game.

Poor aimless clearances.

Possible players answers;

Shouldn’t be giving a simple foul away. They are too quick for us so we have to bring them down.

Too many off their game.

We make silly fouls and decisions.  We are tired.

Poor ability on the ball. We already  know that.

Players have got to push each other more. Some of us do.

Poor aimless clearances.

We are told not to pass the ball around at the back.

We are told not to make aimless clearances

Poor decision making when giving away fouls. ”Stand on your feet” They are too quick for us so we have to bring them down.

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Shouldn’t be giving a simple foul away. They are too quick for us so we have to bring them down.

Too many off their game.

Poor aimless clearances.

Poor decision making when giving away fouls. ”Stand on your feet” They are too quick for us so we have to bring them down.

Fair effort @BP1960 but falls short in one or two key areas.

We are tired’ - not really a valid excuse if you have just had a full week off while your opponents played midweek.

‘Reading the game better and moving the ball forward more quickly’  - This has nothing to do with ‘aimless clearances’  - it’s about playing at a higher tempo, passing the ball more quickly and not getting caught in possession. 

The Sheridan comment ‘too many off their game’ suggests to me that he believes that the players are capable of better.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Fair effort @BP1960 but falls short in one or two key areas.

We are tired’ - not really a valid excuse if you have just had a full week off while your opponents played midweek.

‘Reading the game better and moving the ball forward more quickly’  - This has nothing to do with ‘aimless clearances’  - it’s about playing at a higher tempo, passing the ball more quickly and not getting caught in possession. 

The Sheridan comment ‘too many off their game’ suggests to me that he believes that the players are capable of better.

Tired referred to travelling 1000s of miles on a megabus. 🙂

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Too many off their game.

Poor aimless clearances.

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Too many off their game.

Poor aimless clearances.

Sheridan has learnt about modern players, he is far less scathing of us than his teams in the past I remember him openly saying 

“first half we we were shit” he was in no way anything but Frank and honest there and if that upsets the players they need a head check he’s honest but not scathing 

I believe the troll has come from under his bridge well listen to the interview and you’ll see his comments are in no way unhelpful and neither was his demeanour - if in doubt check his interview for Carlisle after they dicked us 6-0

I found all of that very interesting. I have to confess I don't listen to above five minutes of last week's podcast, because the smell of bullshit was already unbearable by then. So none of that section surprised me. I don't know what it is about football clubs that attracts these people (probably perceived glamour), but we had a couple of them around when the Oystons purported to put our club on sale in 2018.

You made some good points about Swindon. We spoke to their Trust around the same time we spoke to you last year and they (like us before them) were desperately hoping for court proceedings to go their way. I'm pleased for them that they did. But it all serves to demonstrate how fragile some of our football clubs are that their future can be so easily swayed by the character of the person who ends up in charge - there is no innate resilience in far too many clubs. The case for an independent regulator gets stronger by the day, and it would be a massive irony if the downfall of one of the European Super League wannabees was a clinching factor in us getting one.

On the field, I am somewhat worried for you. The early Sheridan impetus seems to have dissipated somewhat, and a very threadbare squad that seems to be really struggling to score goals is not what you want or need in this situation ; in recent weeks Carlisle and Walsall have shown what can be done if you can just string three or four wins together, but you've not looked like doing that. I agree Stevenage, Barrow and maybe Leyton Orient are the realistic targets now. Nobody else is floundering to the extent that you need. 

9 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I found all of that very interesting. I have to confess I don't listen to above five minutes of last week's podcast, because the smell of bullshit was already unbearable by then. So none of that section surprised me. I don't know what it is about football clubs that attracts these people (probably perceived glamour), but we had a couple of them around when the Oystons purported to put our club on sale in 2018.

You made some good points about Swindon. We spoke to their Trust around the same time we spoke to you last year and they (like us before them) were desperately hoping for court proceedings to go their way. I'm pleased for them that they did. But it all serves to demonstrate how fragile some of our football clubs are that their future can be so easily swayed by the character of the person who ends up in charge - there is no innate resilience in far too many clubs. The case for an independent regulator gets stronger by the day, and it would be a massive irony if the downfall of one of the European Super League wannabees was a clinching factor in us getting one.

On the field, I am somewhat worried for you. The early Sheridan impetus seems to have dissipated somewhat, and a very threadbare squad that seems to be really struggling to score goals is not what you want or need in this situation ; in recent weeks Carlisle and Walsall have shown what can be done if you can just string three or four wins together, but you've not looked like doing that. I agree Stevenage, Barrow and maybe Leyton Orient are the realistic targets now. Nobody else is floundering to the extent that you need. 

I think you meant into the BPAS thread?

but I agree 🤣

Archived