Frank Rothwell

11 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Was that the incident which led to Lawson physically attacking Williams on the team bus some time in the 1960s?

Not heard that, but I'm sure Jim would have praised Lawson for the many spectacular goals he scored.

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not heard that, but I'm sure Jim would have praised Lawson for the many spectacular goals he scored.

I don't remember his spectacular goals. What I do remember is a match against City reserves, Manchester Senior Cup maybe when he tackled a young city striker and bundled him into the advertising boards. Slightly more subtle than a Glasgow Kiss but not by much.

16 minutes ago, redlion said:

I don't remember his spectacular goals. What I do remember is a match against City reserves, Manchester Senior Cup maybe when he tackled a young city striker and bundled him into the advertising boards. Slightly more subtle than a Glasgow Kiss but not by much.

Sorry, it was Alan McNeil who scored the spectacular goals and it might have been him Jim referred to.

Lawson was hard, but George Sievwright put more over the hoardings than any player I can remember.

Edited by BP1960

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Sorry, it was Alan McNeil who scored the spectacular goals and it might have been him Jim referred to.

Lawson was hard, but George Sievwright put more over the hoardings than any player I can remember.

But could he have done it over the LED advertising boards.... :)

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

If you listen to the interview with Les Chapman below (from the 18:45 mark), you'll hear a reference to the incident I had in mind. LOL, very entertaining!

I can also vaguely remember that Williams was badly beaten up and hospitalized after being attacked somewhere in the town centre, probably in the earlier part of 1971. The Chronicle report on the incident was very sketchy and brief, and didn't make it clear whether there was any connection to his role as Latics correspondent, or whether he was just the unlucky victim of a random assault. I think he may have suffered a broken jaw or similar.

Edited by Summerdeep

On 5/26/2023 at 7:35 PM, Longlostfan said:

I remember after one dismal showing his report had the headline 'what a load of rubbish'

For some years my sister had a laminated copy of it on her wall at university

I think that may have been the report on the defeat at home to Workington on Boxing Day 1969. That was probably the result which sealed Jack Rowley's fate, though he hung on until the defeat at Scunthorpe five days later. The Chaddy End was singing 'We're a load of rubbish' at regular intervals in the second half, and Keith Bebbington fired a penalty kick miles over the crossbar. Jim Williams said something in his match report about the ball coming down with snow on it....

8 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

If you listen to the interview with Les Chapman below (from the 18:45 mark), you'll hear a reference to the incident I had in mind. LOL, very entertaining!

I can also vaguely remember that Williams was badly beaten up and hospitalized after being attacked somewhere in the town centre, probably in the earlier part of 1971. The Chronicle report on the incident was very sketchy and brief, and didn't make it clear whether there was any connection to his role as Latics correspondent, or whether he was just the unlucky victim of a random assault. I think he may have suffered a broken jaw or similar.

I seem to remember that he was "seeing another woman" allegedly. Whether this was connected I don't know.

3 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

According to Sievwright's Wikipedia entry, he scored 326 goals in 174 appearances for Macclesfield Town in the period 1966-72.

Maybe Latics should never have released him....:jester:

I didn't like him in night matches but you could always rely on Sievwright in the afternoon. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

I didn't like him in night matches but you could always rely on Sievwright in the afternoon. 

That's if Sid The Manager selected him for the team, of course.

Yes Suh, Mr Wright!

13 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

5 hours ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

I seem to remember that he was "seeing another woman" allegedly. Whether this was connected I don't know.

Jim Williams was living on Crossbank Avenue, Springhead at the time of this assault - which I recall as around 1973/4. He was out with 2 friends/neighbours and I think they were down Manchester/Ancoats; not Oldham. Jim, I was told, "ran off" leaving the 2 others to slug it out with the thugs who randomly attacked them. It certainly was not connected with "another woman" - his wife was an absolute stunner called Jenny. Jim/Jenny got divorced some years later and Jenny then married Bob Irving (ex ORLFC and British International) and they moved to Blackpool. Jenny still lives there but Bob sadly died of a heart attack whilst walking his dog in Blackpool one day in 1999.

Edited by wiseowl

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Got chatting to George Sievwright a few years back in a pub in Marsden. Gave me an interesting tale about Latics strip changing to tangerine in the 60s. Said it was because the manager at the time was a member of the "Orange Order" in Northern Ireland. He mentioned Jimmy Mcilroy (who was a Latics manager in the 60s) but the dates don't tie i.e. Sievright was not at Latics when Mcilroy was manager. Anybody shed any light on this (?) as it seemed very plausible from Mr Sievwright when he told me (although we'd both had a few jars!).

Edited by wiseowl

The Latics strip did change to tangerine and blue in the 1966-67 season when McIlroy was the manager, and you're right that Sievwright had long since departed by then. I always thought that the change of colours was a Ken Bates inspired thing, and as far as I know he didn't have any Orange Order ideological connections.

There were a significant number of Irish players at the club at this time though, most of them from the North and therefore possibly with Protestant affiliations. I'm thinking of Magee, Blair, Hunter, Smith and Johnston. I once read an anecdote about Allan Hunter when he was at Ipswich that would suggest he had very strident Paisleyite convictions. So yes, there is a possibility that McIlroy might have suggested to Bates a change to an orange strip, and that it may have had some kind of sentimental religious-cultural inspiration, but I think it's a long way from being provable at this distance in time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Got chatting to George Sievwright a few years back in a pub in Marsden. Gave me an interesting tale about Latics strip changing to tangerine in the 60s. Said it was because the manager at the time was a member of the "Orange Order" in Northern Ireland. He mentioned Jimmy Mcilroy (who was a Latics manager in the 60s) but the dates don't tie i.e. Sievright was not at Latics when Mcilroy was manager. Anybody shed any light on this (?) as it seemed very plausible from Mr Sievwright when he told me (although we'd both had a few jars!).

can l do it?

can l?

pleaseeeeee???

oh fuckit. it won't be the first (or even the twentieth) time you have regailed us on here with a load of bullshit tale you pretended somebody told you in a pub!!!

sorry. it was wide open and l'm bored 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

The Latics strip did change to tangerine and blue in the 1966-67 season when McIlroy was the manager, and you're right that Sievwright had long since departed by then. I always thought that the change of colours was a Ken Bates inspired thing, and as far as I know he didn't have any Orange Order ideological connections.

There were a significant number of Irish players at the club at this time though, most of them from the North and therefore possibly with Protestant affiliations. I'm thinking of Magee, Blair, Hunter, Smith and Johnston. I once read an anecdote about Allan Hunter when he was at Ipswich that would suggest he had very strident Paisleyite convictions. So yes, there is a possibility that McIlroy might have suggested to Bates a change to an orange strip, and that it may have had some kind of sentimental religious-cultural inspiration, but I think it's a long way from being provable at this distance in time.

NO SURREptitious 'my Jesus is better than your Jesus' and he wears Blue type beliefs are to be revealed by this post.

🤣🤣🤣

couple of backwards smelly armpits got excited again then didnt you?

11 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Although Tony Foster was born in Dublin. He made one of the best debuts I've ever seen only to fade into oblivion.

13 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

can l do it?

can l?

pleaseeeeee???

oh fuckit. it won't be the first (or even the twentieth) time you have regailed us on here with a load of bullshit tale you pretended somebody told you in a pub!!!

The conversation was sat outside the pub on a sunny day, so technically you are right, Monty. It was called The Shakespeare, on a Sunday afternoon and witnessed by my wife (whose interest was piqued because she knew someone called Sievwright up in Scotland). Why you think I would make something like that up is beyond me but never mind. Keep on being an attention seeker.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 12:00 AM, wiseowl said:

Got chatting to George Sievwright a few years back in a pub in Marsden. 

George Sievwright (75), Carrs Street, Marsden, Driving while disqualified and without insurance. Fined PS110 with PS85 costs, PS15 victim surcharge and banned from driving for 56 days.

Found this on the internet from Nov 2012 - may well be the same person - i.e. the footballing George would have been 75 in 2012. I await the apology from Monty.................... still waiting.............................

1 record found; 0 free telephone result, 0 companies house result and 1 premium result.

We have not found a telephone listing , but we have found the following premium records

• Mr George ES Sievwright
  • HUDDERSFIELD, HD7 
    • Occupants of this address
    • Other Addresses for George ES Sievwright 

This pretty much confirms George Sievwright (the footballer) does indeed live in Marsden - his middle names were Edgar Smollett - so George ES Sievwright is our man. I wasn't making it up Monty (and McFluff who "liked" Monty's post bless).

40 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

George Sievwright (75), Carrs Street, Marsden, Driving while disqualified and without insurance. Fined PS110 with PS85 costs, PS15 victim surcharge and banned from driving for 56 days.

Found this on the internet from Nov 2012 - may well be the same person - i.e. the footballing George would have been 75 in 2012. I await the apology from Monty.................... still waiting.............................

1 record found; 0 free telephone result, 0 companies house result and 1 premium result. | Refine search

We have not found a telephone listing , but we have found the following premium records ?

Not sure what this is trying to prove?

16 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

can l do it?

can l?

pleaseeeeee???

sorry. it was wide open and l'm bored 🤣

Spoke to George a couple of times in Marsden. Think he's got dementia Unfortunately.

Always asks for a tab. Apparently his wife died a few years back. Well known for just wondering around those parts.

He did tell me the same story each time... He used to tell the opposing winger that "the hospital's over there". When they'd ask why... He'd say "cos that's where you're ending up".

• Like 1

^ Reminds me of this Chaddy End song from the late 1960s, which brings us back to Alan Lawson, with a Jim Fryatt tie-in as a bonus!

"There was a soldier,

A Scottish soldier,

And Lawson was his name, and clogging was his game.

He came to Oldham,

When Celtic sold him,

He was victorious in battles glorious, 

And Barry Stobart, and Jimmy Fryatt,

He sent them far away,

To the infirmary!"

LOL. Great days in the Chaddy End, late 60s!

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Like 1