As gutting as it was to lose yesterday (especially the manner of the defeat) the rest of October provides Unsworth a massive opportunity to make his mark on the squad and club.

Scunny (H)

Maidenhead (A)

FA Cup

Yeovil (H)

Altrincham (A)

Halifax (A)

It's not unreasonable to expect to win each of those games on an individual basis.  Less than 10 points from the 5 league games would be concerning.  Oddly Maidenhead would probably be the trickiest match of the lot, especially after their win at Chesterfield yesterday.

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

As gutting as it was to lose yesterday (especially the manner of the defeat) the rest of October provides Unsworth a massive opportunity to make his mark on the squad and club.

Scunny (H)

Maidenhead (A)

FA Cup

Yeovil (H)

Altrincham (A)

Halifax (A)

It's not unreasonable to expect to win each of those games on an individual basis.  Less than 10 points from the 5 league games would be concerning.  Oddly Maidenhead would probably be the trickiest match of the lot, especially after their win at Chesterfield yesterday.

Is it not? They've only won 3 all season. They might have slightly improved for one half but they've also conceded 6 without reply to Bromley and Woking in recent weeks 

There's a hell of a lot of work to be done with these players if they're going to start consistently picking up points.

14 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Is it not? They've only won 3 all season. They might have slightly improved for one half but they've also conceded 6 without reply to Bromley and Woking in recent weeks 

There's a hell of a lot of work to be done with these players if they're going to start consistently picking up points.

I think yesterday debunks your myth, any team whose expecting to be up there will be working hard as a given, bars been set along with the standard I expect Unsworth will expect nothing less week in week out which will see us where we need to be.

Im not sure theyve got it in them to maintain the work ethic which Unsworth is going to demand.

Im still not sure some of them have the necessary ability either.

Like the manager said, that treatment room needs emptying, and the squad looking at again as a whole with some more new faces - season starts again here for me.

Tuesday night will be a struggle along with all the upcoming matches whilst we are where we are squad wise.

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The Woking and Bromley scores are indeed depressing given the size of both clubs, but they are both in the playoffs and every team that we've lost to is currently in the top half.

There is a lot of work to be done for this squad to be a top half or playoff challenging team, but I'm confident that even without the injured players this squad is mid table and should be beating the bottom half teams.  The next 5 league games are a chance to prove this.

The idea that this team could win 5 or 6 in a row is laughable, you look at almost every game in this division and think “we should win this” but the sad reality is we are currently in the position the squad merits….17th in the 5th tier and 4 defeats in our last 5 games.

3 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

The idea that this team could win 5 or 6 in a row is laughable, you look at almost every game in this division and think “we should win this” but the sad reality is we are currently in the position the squad merits….17th in the 5th tier and 4 defeats in our last 5 games.

After yesterday I'm expecting 12 points minimum out of the next five fixtures 

22 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think yesterday debunks your myth, any team whose expecting to be up there will be working hard as a given, bars been set along with the standard I expect Unsworth will expect nothing less week in week out which will see us where we need to be.

What was my myth? And how does one decent half debunk the previous 2 months of drab performance?

I'm not saying Unsworth can't turn it around, but this is a poor group of players and he's got a real job on his hands.

Fully expected us to pick up performance wise once we had decent plans and structure. You could see that on Saturday.

You could argue that Hogan, McGahey, Gardner, Hope and Porter would make our starting 11 when back. Maybe the left back also.

I expect we'll be the team that steams into the play offs this season.

Frank realising we need to spend and Unsworth's team being here means we will pick up significantly in the coming weeks.

I'd accept us dropping 3/4 points this month.

Admittedly I missed this one, but find it strange how fans are now thinking we will turn it around going forward. We lost the game ? Again. Easy for the player to perform infront of the biggest crowd since 2013. We still lost. Let’s see how Tuesday goes. 

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Admittedly I missed this one, but find it strange how fans are now thinking we will turn it around going forward. We lost the game ? Again. Easy for the player to perform infront of the biggest crowd since 2013. We still lost. Let’s see how Tuesday goes. 

OK but people have been saying it's not just the results but the performances that's been disheartening. On Saturday the result was familiar but the performance was miles better, definitely the shoots of recovery appearing.

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

OK but people have been saying it's not just the results but the performances that's been disheartening. On Saturday the result was familiar but the performance was miles better, definitely the shoots of recovery appearing.

Yeah like I said, easy to do with a bumper crowd. We beat Liverpool with a bumper crowd when we were fighting relegation. Step in the correct direction, but it was 45mins of football and we lost… again. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yeah like I said, easy to do with a bumper crowd. We beat Liverpool with a bumper crowd when we were fighting relegation. Step in the correct direction, but it was 45mins of football and we lost… again. 

But the crowds have been pretty big since the takeover so not so many more home supporters there on Saturday.

I understand some "supporters" being a bit pessimistic some of the time, but some seem to thrive on looking on the black side (you don't spring to mind as being one of those) and constantly look for the negatives.

Maybe I see things through rose-coloured glasses but I'm hopelessly optimistic !  🤪

6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

But the crowds have been pretty big since the takeover so not so many more home supporters there on Saturday.

I understand some "supporters" being a bit pessimistic some of the time, but some seem to thrive on looking on the black side (you don't spring to mind as being one of those) and constantly look for the negatives.

Maybe I see things through rose-coloured glasses but I'm hopelessly optimistic !  🤪

I’m generally optimistic to be fair, i didn’t go to the game but been to those before except for Woking and struggling too see why there is so much optimism to a loss.  

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m generally optimistic to be fair, i didn’t go to the game but been to those before except for Woking and struggling too see why there is so much optimism to a loss.  

…despite the late goal, I saw a huge improvement in our play and work rate on Saturday.
We matched Wrexham for long periods in the game but ultimately the better team won I suppose.

Having said that, I awoke feeling positive about the future - a very good management team backed by the board and the fans. The only way is up 😃

The optimism is about the structure that we have started to put in place - surely you can see that?

4 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

What was my myth? And how does one decent half debunk the previous 2 months of drab performance?

I'm not saying Unsworth can't turn it around, but this is a poor group of players and he's got a real job on his hands.

You’re contracting yourself. 

The same players who have been giving drab performances in which they couldn’t pass, looked lost and had no fight. Can now actually pass, they can tackle, they can play to a shape, and they can be competitive.

How is that possible if they’re just shit? 

It’s because we’ve got a manager who isn’t just playing 5 a side in the week and telling them to just ‘enjoy it’ then having a go at them for not being able to make decisions on the pitch- when they had no guidance in the first place. 

This squad isn’t anywhere near as bad as people make out- it was just full of players playing in their shells. We need additions no doubt, but this same ‘shit squad’ will quickly climb the league under Unsworth- No question. 

I’m not convinced, but I could be and I hope I’m wrong. It seems for them to perform anywhere like they should be they can only sustain it for limited periods of the game before they lose concentration and make silly mistakes.   Saturdays first half should be replicated and not saved just for special occasions to show they are up to it . Time will tell with that. 

4 hours ago, Clifford said:

Fully expected us to pick up performance wise once we had decent plans and structure. You could see that on Saturday.

You could argue that Hogan, McGahey, Gardner, Hope and Porter would make our starting 11 when back. Maybe the left back also.

I expect we'll be the team that steams into the play offs this season.

Frank realising we need to spend and Unsworth's team being here means we will pick up significantly in the coming weeks.

I'd accept us dropping 3/4 points this month.

I'd never argue that McGahey should make our starting 11 ever again after what I saw at Woking

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

You’re contracting yourself. 

The same players who have been giving drab performances in which they couldn’t pass, looked lost and had no fight. Can now actually pass, they can tackle, they can play to a shape, and they can be competitive.

How is that possible if they’re just shit? 

It’s because we’ve got a manager who isn’t just playing 5 a side in the week and telling them to just ‘enjoy it’ then having a go at them for not being able to make decisions on the pitch- when they had no guidance in the first place. 

This squad isn’t anywhere near as bad as people make out- it was just full of players playing in their shells. We need additions no doubt, but this same ‘shit squad’ will quickly climb the league under Unsworth- No question. 

For 45 minutes!!

I'm hope I'm wrong, and it does sound like there was an improvement on Saturday, but I don't think the team looking competent for one half (in a game they lost) contradicts anything I've said

For the record, I think the team will look much better if Hogan and Gardner can stay fit and we can get a proper striker in. 

All the negativity with the minority is bewildering. 

The management team have just got together and his assistant JE only arrived on friday. 

I’m judging tomorrows game as a bench mark, I’m confident of a win and playoffs at the end.

👍💙

1 minute ago, Lukers1 said:

The management team have just got together and his assistant JE only arrived on friday. 

I’m judging tomorrows game as a bench mark, I’m confident of a win and playoffs at the end.

👍💙

Not surprisingly most of the negative comments are coming from people who missed Saturday's performance.

5 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

👍💙

It’s the years and years of negativity on and off the pitch which erode the enthusiasm. Tomorrow is important 

Archived