MATCH: vs Maidenhead United (A) 08/10/22

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

You are the ginger lad that was walking out the stadium today moaning arnt you? Fucking embarrassing mate. Go do something else with your Saturday if your going to cry like that. Todays performance was shit, but if you are who I think you are, then you need to have a look at yourself for criticising other fans for clapping the players off. Go get another hobby. 

Was Maynard as shit as you remembered him then? I only saw him for Salford a couple of times and for one half against Radcliffe pre season and I've always thought he looks comfortable on the ball and could do a job for us, some have said he did okay and I know you're not his biggest fan so would be interested to hear your views.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Collective psychology and responsibility works both ways. Two relegations in five years with literally no light at the end of the tunnel doesn’t do much for your psychology hence the reactions of some long suffering fans. However, this is a fresh start with new and good people so we have to go with it. At some point soon though we need to start winning games, not next season, next January. 2 points from a possible 12 is bad, new manager or not. 

A point, I feel, is that the players themselves have not suffered the two relegations, the fans have but the frustration of the fans, the borderline vitriol and the insipid comments from so-called fans on social media has to be having some kind of impact.

Just got back so few comments:

Unsworth, stop playing 5 at the back, ridiculous decision and he can’t have as much time as he likes but if he continues to play that formation he deserves to be questioned. Shite ! 

Maynard, given him grief but he played centre back rather than centre mid and was our MOM, fair play. 

Rooney, am I missing something here? I’m not actually sure what he offers. He’s only good when he plays deeper like he did in the second half of Scunthorpe and today. 

Tollitt, this has been taken out of proportion. Our group of 5 “fans” including the OASF director Bradley Knowles were shouting abuse and giving the fingers to the players. Once singled out Tolitt and he essentially replied back, pretty passionately saying something along the lines of what are you wanting us to do. Bradley Knowles needs to remove himself from the OASF as I have said multiple times, it’s a job for the boys and my offer to join is still there OASF, but it’s job for the boys as usual. 

Ginger bloke walking out. I assume it’s the poster on here. Get a grip of yourself or just don’t go to the games. Assuming you were fulled up but our fans thought you were embarrassing more than anything. You said you wanted the club to fold, then leave yourself don’t follow Oldham, literally no one makes you. 

Long trip, below average performance, relegation battle this. 

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Was Maynard as shit as you remembered him then? I only saw him for Salford a couple of times and for one half against Radcliffe pre season and I've always thought he looks comfortable on the ball and could do a job for us, some have said he did okay and I know you're not his biggest fan so would be interested to hear your views.

Thought he was our best player, was really impressed with him in fairness. I’d only seen him at centre mid and he looked terrible. He cleared a lot of balls and allowed us to play Shernon in centre mid today (not that he was any good). Yeah impressed and accept maybe he could be good for us at centre back. 

Just back. Not much to say really. Poor performance and anybody thinking that simply getting rid of Shez would change our fortunes (even just a little bit) for the better will now realise that not to be the case. A real worry is that there has been no "new manager bounce" whatsoever. You would think players would be busting a gut to impress Mr U - not evident apart from Fondop perhaps.

With regard to fans booing etc. - I`ve never booed my team and never will. Equally, however, I cannot understand anyone clapping the players off - it was a crap performance - I just walked away to - yes, you've guessed it - the pub!

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

A point, I feel, is that the players themselves have not suffered the two relegations, the fans have but the frustration of the fans, the borderline vitriol and the insipid comments from so-called fans on social media has to be having some kind of impact.

That’s a very good point 

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Just back. Not much to say really. Poor performance and anybody thinking that simply getting rid of Shez would change our fortunes (even just a little bit) for the better will now realise that not to be the case. A real worry is that there has been no "new manager bounce" whatsoever. You would think players would be busting a gut to impress Mr U - not evident apart form Fondop perhaps.

With regard to fans booing etc. - I`ve never booed my team and never will. Equally, however, I cannot understand anyone clapping the players off - it was a crap performance - I just walked away to - yes, you've guessed it - the pub!

We can’t keep just generalising the squad as crap.

Most have played league football, it’s not THAT bad. There is more than enough in that team and our budget to compete. 

It’s now becoming- we might as well give up because no one can work with this squad and it’s absolute nonsense. 

Totally agree with your last paragraph. 👍🏻

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Just got back so few comments:

Unsworth, stop playing 5 at the back, ridiculous decision and he can’t have as much time as he likes but if he continues to play that formation he deserves to be questioned. Shite ! 

Maynard, given him grief but he played centre back rather than centre mid and was our MOM, fair play. 

Rooney, am I missing something here? I’m not actually sure what he offers. He’s only good when he plays deeper like he did in the second half of Scunthorpe and today. 

Tollitt, this has been taken out of proportion. Our group of 5 “fans” including the OASF director Bradley Knowles were shouting abuse and giving the fingers to the players. Once singled out Tolitt and he essentially replied back, pretty passionately saying something along the lines of what are you wanting us to do. Bradley Knowles needs to remove himself from the OASF as I have said multiple times, it’s a job for the boys and my offer to join is still there OASF, but it’s job for the boys as usual. 

Ginger bloke walking out. I assume it’s the poster on here. Get a grip of yourself or just don’t go to the games. Assuming you were fulled up but our fans thought you were embarrassing more than anything. You said you wanted the club to fold, then leave yourself don’t follow Oldham, literally no one makes you. 

Long trip, below average performance, relegation battle this. 

Brad Knowles needs to step down as a trust director or whatever he is, it’s embarrassing and someone needs to have a word with him. Messaging Tollitt on social media for all to see, and Tollitt also responding for all to see. It’s completely unprofessional for someone who is a trust director. If you want to do stuff like that then fine, step down and be a normal fan but you can’t be doing that in current status. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I wouldn't describe him as a bullshitter, but I have concerns.  

In one of his first interviews, he claimed about his experience at Everton that "it's the same game at any level".  It really fucking isn't - this isn't the Premier League.  This isn't even Everton Under 23s.  It's a league where we need organised beasts, not pretty footballers and formations.

We know the squads bad, but the fact we're persisting with one up front (a continuation of what Shez did) just mystifies - whoever plays up front needs a partner. We should clear our lines, not knock it across the back - the players don't have the ability and it will lead to silly mistakes.

Don't get me wrong - I have faith that Unsworth will get it right once he brings his own players in.  But it is blind faith..

He contradicted himself in relation to that sentence too. Can’t remember exactly what he said, but I remember thinking it was a contradiction.

12 minutes ago, daniel said:

Brad Knowles needs to step down as a trust director or whatever he is, it’s embarrassing and someone needs to have a word with him. Messaging Tollitt on social media for all to see, and Tollitt also responding for all to see. It’s completely unprofessional for someone who is a trust director. If you want to do stuff like that then fine, step down and be a normal fan but you can’t be doing that in current status. 

He a sad little boy? Needs to grow up.

15 minutes ago, daniel said:

Absolutely mate, couldn’t be more spot on. OASF want to move forward as being an established supporters trust, which represents the fans. I have no faith in this lad representing us as a fan base.

Again, Matt Dean has been exactly what the OASF needed, I just hope he has it in him to see that his good work will be damaged by having people like Brad involved. I also think it was Brad Knowles’s brother which initiated the Tollitt rubbish. Embarrassing. 

Lots of short term thinking again. We need to stop looking for big improvements in a week or 2. We aren’t Salford or Wrexham who throw £5k per week at multiple players because they “have to go up this season”. Whether you agree with the approach or not, the Rothwells are rebuilding the club in a methodical way from the ground up. Including the coaching and playing side. 

There’s no point expecting big changes this soon. Time to judge properly is in a few months when we have fewer 1st teamers injured, an improved squad and lots more time on the training ground to get a style of playing sorted. 

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Lots of short term thinking again. We need to stop looking for big improvements in a week or 2. We aren’t Salford or Wrexham who throw £5k per week at multiple players because they “have to go up this season”. Whether you agree with the approach or not, the Rothwells are rebuilding the club in a methodical way from the ground up. Including the coaching and playing side. 

There’s no point expecting big changes this soon. Time to judge properly is in a few months when we have fewer 1st teamers injured, an improved squad and lots more time on the training ground to get a style of playing sorted. 

Agreed 

As long as we don’t end up in a relegation battle in the process 

Listening to the radio commentary today and it sounded like fondop was very isolated winning lots of first ball with no one around him for flick ons or chest downs.

I think when injury clear ups allow the team should set up as -

Norman

Clarke

Maynard

Hogan

Angol

Sheron (slightly behind)

Rooney 

Gardener ( to both play centrally)

Tollitt 

Fondop 

Hope

Hope and Tollitt have enough legs to get up and down off the wings and support Fondop when winning flick ons. Rooney and Gardener should offer enough.on the ball to add some quality. Sheron can do the dogging making tackles.and covering runs on the halfway line and the back 4 should be solid enough given their expereince. In a 4 at the back there no expectation to take on any attacking notions for the full backs just pass it to roony or gardener in field or hit fondop up top and tollitt and hope can chance their luck running on to the ball.

As a game plan to for me theres a few options.

Id adopt it now with the personnel available and have a go and build an identity.

With the injuries as they are at present bring in Okagbue or Carragher in at Cb with other filling in at left back or potentially Benny Couto.

Cooper, Vaughan or Tollit into the 3 man midfield

With luamba ( with a strict instruction to get close to fondop whenever the ball is arial) with either tollittt or burgess depending who is in the 3 man midfield.

442 an option with tollitt and burgess on the wings with sheron alongside Rooney in centre mid with luamba alongside fondop.

The overriding conclusion though is fondop needs players closer to him

10 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Agreed 

As long as we don’t end up in a relegation battle in the process 

Although we’re not currently playing well I’d be massively surprised if we don’t start pulling clear steadily over the next few weeks/months. They’re actively trying to improve the squad, we’ll get key players back from being injured etc. 

7 minutes ago, ljriley90 said:

Listening to the radio commentary today and it sounded like fondop was very isolated winning lots of first ball with no one around him for flick ons or chest downs.

I

Funnily enough I thought this was one area of improvement. There was more thought to what Fondop did when the ball was played into him. Earlier in the season he was just looking to flick on into space. Now he’s looking to keep it closer, either chesting down or heading back to someone near. Lots of work needed on that being more effective but at least it doesn’t look aimless any more. 

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Lots of valid points but the reality is fans expect to see a difference on the pitch, it's all well and good assembling a star studded board and management team if we continue to turn out absolute dross, now let's face it Shez had literally fuck all backing and support but was hounded out as a tactical dinosaur (no problem with that) but Unsworths doing just the exact same thing, playing systems that don't suit, round pegs in square holes and bringing in 30 odd year old John Rooney whose hardly lifted a leg and looks like he needs a pre season, only player whose revitalised seems to be Fondop and the bounce just hasn't happened which is a worry. 

I'd love him to address the Harry Vaughan issue though, that bench today offered nothing if we needed to chase a game how can he leave a creative player out and stick the likes of Wellens and Couto on there who offer basically fuck all, we already have about 7 defensive minded players on the pitch it's fucking baffling, whether these managers like it or not things generally happen when Vaughan is on the pitch and the majority of the fans want to see him which is obvious by the reception he gets.

Anyway a win percentage of 0% and averaging 0.5 points a game needs to be improved on and quickly because we've just played two shit teams who are going to be in the relegation mix, were lucky to take a point against Scunthorpe and by all accounts it was similar again today so something needs to change and sharpish.

All the shite between Tollitt and the 'fans' today won't help matters it's distractions like that we can well do without.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Lots of valid points but the reality is fans expect to see a difference on the pitch, it's all well and good assembling a star studded board and management team if we continue to turn out absolute dross, now let's face it Shez had literally fuck all backing and support but was hounded out as a tactical dinosaur (no problem with that) but Unsworths doing just the exact same thing, playing systems that don't suit, round pegs in square holes and bringing in 30 odd year old John Rooney whose hardly lifted a leg and looks like he needs a pre season, only player whose revitalised seems to be Fondop and the bounce just hasn't happened which is a worry. 

I'd love him to address the Harry Vaughan issue though, that bench today offered nothing if we needed to chase a game how can he leave a creative player out and stick the likes of Wellens and Couto on there who offer basically fuck all, we already have about 7 defensive minded players on the pitch it's fucking baffling, whether these managers like it or not things generally happen when Vaughan is on the pitch and the majority of the fans want to see him which is obvious by the reception he gets.

Anyway a win percentage of 0% and averaging 0.5 points a game needs to be improved on and quickly because we've just played two shit teams who are going to be in the relegation mix, were lucky to take a point against Scunthorpe and by all accounts it was similar again today so something needs to change and sharpish.

All the shite between Tollitt and the 'fans' today won't help matters it's distractions like that we can well do without.

If fans expected to see a difference on the pitch this soon then they were wrong to. They can hope for change to happen more quickly (I certainly did) but not expect it. Besides, I think there have been some improvements. I’m not saying he can’t be criticised and I’d like to see more creative players on the pitch too but this pantomime booing all the time helps no one. 

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Funnily enough I thought this was one area of improvement. There was more thought to what Fondop did when the ball was played into him. Earlier in the season he was just looking to flick on into space. Now he’s looking to keep it closer, either chesting down or heading back to someone near. Lots of work needed on that being more effective but at least it doesn’t look aimless any more. 

Fair enough pal, as i say bbc radio manchester made him out as isolated. Hes obviously a hand full and him bringing in other players with his back to goal and making it stick especially with the pretty defence line up at the moment is one sure way to get a breather into the team and get them higher up the pitch

Not sure after boy wonder , who else was available . He wasnt big enough for league 2 pretty sure most fans see him as a player who will get 20 minutes here and there in a winning side to bring him on gradually. 

6 minutes ago, ljriley90 said:

Fair enough pal, as i say bbc radio manchester made him out as isolated. Hes obviously a hand full and him bringing in other players with his back to goal and making it stick especially with the pretty defence line up at the moment is one sure way to get a breather into the team and get them higher up the pitch

Yep. And we definitely need to work on getting others round him in support. 

Archived