MATCH: vs Maidenhead United (A) 08/10/22

33 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think for many it will be non-attendance. Crowds will start to dip. He absolutely deserves patience, but I for one can no longer justify giving up my Saturday afternoons and paying 20 odd quid for something that I just don't enjoy anymore. Every season feels like Groundhog Day, new manager, new group of players who are worse than the last and who I have no affection for whatsoever. I've done 2 1/2 decades of it and I just can't anymore. I can imagine there's a lot of people feel the same way. 

I'm not saying I'm packing it in altogether btw. It's in the blood. But this is where I'm at at the moment.

Yes, pretty much where I’m at. The request for patience bit riles me rightly or wrongly because I’ve been sat waiting patiently season after season trying to have faith and see the good and trust in whoever the new gaffer is this week watching us lose over and over again. 
The takeover in summer lifted me massively like everyone else but it’s October and we are already into the second manager of the season who has picked up 2 points in 4 outings. 
But 

I either stay and watch or stay home 

I just hope we recruit again properly and pray we find a settled team 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

He really hasnt

Plenty said relegation would be what we needed to do a Lazarus in 1994, 97 and for a good few years before and including 2017

He has, and I’m made my point as to why. 

It’s the usual generalised nonsense people come out with to suit their narrative, without thinking about what their typing. Or looking at what actually happened. 

Not one single fan- has ever said. I can’t wait to get relegated because it will do us good. 

What they have said on each occasion, is- I’m gutted, but hopefully we can rebuild and come again. Which is trying to look for a positive in a very grim situation and very different to wanting or advocating it.

Fans want hope and to win. 

This is clearly evidenced when we went down from league one and season ticket sales were higher in league below. This evidenced again, when we go into non league and lots said even with new owners we’ll lose fans forever. Then we sell over 4 thousand season tickets. 

Fans aren’t coming back after relegation to see the brand new shit teams they’ve been so looking forward to seeing.  They’re coming back because they hope we can turn the corner, and we never do, so they drift again. Until we get relegated again, and new owners come in, and hope returns again. 

59 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Every season feels like Groundhog Day, new manager, new group of players who are worse than the last and who I have no affection for whatsoever. I've done 2 1/2 decades of it and I just can't anymore. I can imagine there's a lot of people feel the same way. 

I'm not saying I'm packing it in altogether btw. It's in the blood. But this is where I'm at at the moment.

Interesting point this and was discussed a bit on the podcast today. As a fanbase we've been served a steady diet of shit sandwiches for as long as most of us can remember. Even when new ownership comes in (TTA, AL) any early excitement dwindles away to utter dross. Whenever we get a good player in they leave pretty quickly. Same for managers. So now in a way we're conditioned to expect it and plenty will feel that any positivity with the Rothwells will probably end in disaster like it always does.

However, I don't feel like it's groundhog day with these owners. We've not had this type of owner before - succesful, local and with good intentions for the club and the town. So that's why as bad as it currently is, I'm confident something different is happening this time and hopefully that will translate to the pitch sooner rather than later. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s the usual generalised nonsense people come out with to suit their narrative, without thinking about what their typing. Or looking at what actually happened. 

Not one single fan- has ever said. I can’t wait to get relegated because it will do us good. 

What they have said on each occasion, is- I’m gutted, but hopefully we can rebuild and come again. Which is trying to look for a positive in a very grim situation and very different to wanting or advocating it.

This is clearly evidenced when we went down from league one and season ticket sales were higher in league below. This evidenced again, when we go into non league and lots said even with new owners we’ll lose fans forever. Then we sell over 4 thousand season tickets. 

Fans aren’t coming back after relegation to see the brand new shit teams they’ve been so looking forward to seeing.  They’re coming back because they hope we can turn the corner, and we never do, so they drift again. Until we get relegated again, and new owners come in, and hope returns again. 

Christ you can be a condescending twat at times, i have literally heard and read fans say relegation "could be a blessing"

Were you around in 94, 97??

I thought it was a blessing myself as we spanked Charlton 5-2 opening day of Division 1 1994

But yeah maybe im making it up for a laugh 

25 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Christ you can be a condescending twat at times, i have literally heard and read fans say relegation "could be a blessing"

I thought it was a blessing myself as we spanked Charlton 5-2 opening day of Division 1 1994

Let’s leave the personals, we don’t even know each other. I’m forthright with my view (as you are) we can debate without that. 👍🏻

I think we agree,  saying it could be a blessing is exactly what I mean. It’s hoping that it might lead to winning again.  Hence your feeling at Charlton. That’s very different to not wanting to stay up, and thinking relegation will be good for the club. That might be semantics to some, but it’s an important distinction because I don’t think any fan actively wants to see their team suffer or not do well. It’s just looking for hope that things will turn, and is clearly backed up when fans come in their number despite going down. 

28 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I enjoyed that opening match, too, with Lee Richardson banging them in from the halfway line, or near enough. I thought "Here we go, we will stroll this division". I think reality bit when Southend beat us at BP and from then on. Every time we flirted with relegation, I got a knot in my stomach because I loved my team and club so much. When we did go down, I thought we would be back up soon.

It never happened.

The drop to League Two was a heart breaker and the last one was an absolute killer, more so with the Lemmies sitting on the fucking event horizon of a looming black hole. I couldn't even believe what I was reading when the news broke regarding the Rothwell/Royle alliance, it was, at last, a chink of light and to see those two clowns packing their bags was akin to being saved from the Titanic.

My instinct is to rant and shout at the players to get a fucking grip and do the privileged job they get paid to do and to do it properly. My head says keep it shut and be patient, the wheels are ever so slowly turning the right way...I hope.

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Let’s leave the personals, we don’t even know each other. I’m forthright with my view (as you are) we can debate without that. 👍🏻

I think we agree,  saying it could be a blessing is exactly what I mean. It’s hoping that it might lead to winning again.  Hence your feeling at Charlton. That’s very different to not wanting to stay up, and thinking relegation will be good for the club. That might be semantics to some, but it’s an important distinction because I don’t think any fan actively wants to see their team suffer or not do well. It’s just looking for hope that things will turn, and is clearly backed up when fans come in their number despite going down. 

Apologies, i enjoy debating with you

Just dont accuse people of making things up when they have first hand experience.

I hope in 9 months time we are all laughing our cocks off at these first few months 

52 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I mean you're kind of coming out with nonsense to suit your own narrative there yourself - no one has said our fans actively want to get relegated.  They have, as you agree, say that it's an opportunity to rebuild and come again but the reality is the odds are stacked against most clubs and historically ours in particular, for a variety of reasons.

There seems to be too much comfort with relegation - like it'll be undone at some point, but the chances are it won't be and where we find ourselves now is evidence of that.

Long-term plans are great, but we can get further down the line with those long-term plans quicker and save a lot of work trying to get back if we stabilise now.  The further we go down, the harder it's going to be to get back regardless of what infrastructure is in place at the club.

So, in my opinion, there can never be an upside to relegation.  Fair play to those that see it as an opportunity to rebuild and come again, but in our experience it should be avoided because that never seems to happen - probably even if it means compromising long-term plans that only may or may not work out.

17 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Apologies, i enjoy debating with you

Just dont accuse people of making things up when they have first hand experience.

I hope in 9 months time we are all laughing our cocks off at these first few months 

I never doubted your experience’s, I think we’re just taking different meanings from the same sound bites we’ve both heard over the years. 

Like you and others have said, hopefully this is our time to bounce back. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

But let's just say if you drifted away abit for a period of time could be weeks, months whatever if results improve you would come back right?

See to me what to me this summer showed is that when fans drift away they won't be lost forever. I wouldn't be surprised to see attendances tail off over winter. The elements and the cost of living crisis will have an impact but results will be the biggest factor. But if results do pick up and we start getting within striking distance of the play offs at around end of March then I can see attendances at even higher levels than we have seen so far. 

I don't think if we see attendances drop off then that means we lose fans forever they will drift back if we start winning.

Oh 100%. I'm still going to Halifax and Alty too 🤦‍♂️

I've just hit a bit of a malaise with home games, I know as fans you're supposed to support through the good and bad but unfortunately there hasn't been any good for about 15 years. 

And I suppose even if attendances dip they'll still be higher than they have been for a decade. That is a real positive of this season. I just need a break personally, maybe I'm incorrectly extrapolating that to others too.

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I never doubted your experience’s, I think we’re just taking different meanings from the same sound bites we’ve both heard over the years. 

Like you and others have said, hopefully this is our time to bounce back. 👍🏻

See how different this is to Twatter? We talk, we disagree, then realise we have a common aim... its quite cathartic 

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

People have predicted relegation being a good thing for the club on the last four occasions,

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

no one has said our fans actively want to get relegated

When you posted the first comment, what did you mean specifically? How did our fans think on four different occasions it would be good for the club?

Your second comment contradict’s your first for obvious reasons. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When you posted the first comment, what did you mean specifically? How did our fans think on four different occasions it would be good for the club?

Your second comment contradict’s your first for obvious reasons. 

Nope.

First comment - fans predicting a stirring comeback from relegation.

Second - fans actively hoping for relegation.

Some absolute plant pots here proving that the issue with ALMO was purely results based. All that talk of rebuilding the club and making sure the off field stuff was right was horse shit. Zero patience and no understanding that the rebuilding and getting results right will take time. So many hypocritical folk  the Trust also proving they're pointless as well especially with those running the show

On 10/10/2022 at 4:30 PM, nzlatic said:

I said relatively relaxed, not actively wanting it! Of course I don't want it and there's no case to be made for the club needing it either (in the past it was argued that relegation might force the Lemsagams out), I was just illustrating a point by using an extreme example. That even if that did happen I would trust the owners to stick it out and still keep trying to build a better future. 

That being said, if we do get relegated from here it's because Unsworth would have actually made things worse rather than better, so if that is the case later in the season I wouldn't be surprised to see the owners doing something about it to avoid relegation.

I guess my issue is not that people are critical of the performances, it's more that the language used suggest some think it's unacceptable that things haven't got better yet and that more drastic action needs to be taken soon. Rather than trusting the process and taking time to build things properly.

In terms of points, maybe, but most of the performances under Shez were relegation-worthy... If anything we were fortunate to pick up as many points as we did!

Will take time to turn things around, as you say. 

2 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

In terms of points, maybe, but most of the performances under Shez were relegation-worthy... If anything we were fortunate to pick up as many points as we did!

Will take time to turn things around, as you say. 

Very intense training session today, lots of pressing throughout. Good to see Dan Gardner back.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived