MATCH: vs Maidenhead United (A) 08/10/22

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Just back. Not much to say really. Poor performance and anybody thinking that simply getting rid of Shez would change our fortunes (even just a little bit) for the better will now realise that not to be the case. A real worry is that there has been no "new manager bounce" whatsoever. You would think players would be busting a gut to impress Mr U - not evident apart from Fondop perhaps.

With regard to fans booing etc. - I`ve never booed my team and never will. Equally, however, I cannot understand anyone clapping the players off - it was a crap performance - I just walked away to - yes, you've guessed it - the pub!

Regarding "new manager bounce" I think that is because normally fringe players suddenly get a chance to get in the side and so competition for places increases, but in our case there are very few extra players vying for the matchday squad.

Also I notice you mention performance rather than result and that is exactly what we all crave for, just effort regardless of result.

My biggest worry is the aggression of the fans to each other. Why do we always have to be fighting? We can't change the team but can have influence on it, let's make that worthwhile.

2 hours ago, philwhite said:

What I’m trying to say is I would sooner have money spent on players, the other stuff can come later. Let’s get the team sorted first.

But that sounds like you’re assuming it was a choice between players and a fan bar/prayer room. There won’t have been. The stuff they’re doing off the pitch is irrelevant to on the pitch when it comes to the budget. 

There could be an argument for spending less on the coaching staff and more on players - eg keeping Shez and putting all the money into new players for him. But I’d rather them do it the way they are personally.

9 hours ago, True Tic said:

I just want to see the fruits of what’s going on on the training pitch and some real business in the transfer market before we land in trouble 

Me too, but it’ll take longer than a couple of weeks unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Nothing stopping players doing a year or two with youth teams. Not sure he’s done that for a full season. Ferguson had a track record of success at Aberdeen. U’d have to say he showed he could do it. Unsworth is a diff case, there’s nothing to suggest he will get it right and so far  hasn’t really impressed at all. Made zero impression on the team. I’m not saying don’t give him a Fair chance but sooner or later we need to see us actually be the better team for 90 mins. There isn’t one game this season where that has happened and the team isn’t that bad 

Sorry??

He's been a youth team manager for about 10 years!

Mention Fergy but none of the other examples - took Royle years to do anything of note here, he wouldn't get that luxury today.

We haven't looked good for 90 minutes once this season, I agree, DU has been in charge for just 4 of them.

He has inherited a piss poor squad not helped by having almost a full side (all starters bar Windass) injured. They are unfit and the fault of that is a dire pre season.

To expect Unsworth to make gold from that immediately suggests you are smoking something and can I have some?

27 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Sorry??

Mention Fergy but none of the other examples - took Royle years to do anything of note here, he wouldn't get that luxury today.

We haven't looked good for 90 minutes once this season, I agree, DU has been in charge for just 4 of them.

He has inherited a piss poor squad not helped by having almost a full side (all starters bar Windass) injured. They are unfit and the fault of that is a dire pre season.

To expect Unsworth to make gold from that immediately suggests you are smoking something and can I have some?

It’s just that there’s been nowt to cling onto. Gone for clean sheet with 5 at back and def mids yet not got one. Imagine if we can’t ship any out and budget is maxed out. He’s going to need to get more out of current lot. Hope he can but let’s face it, his start has been poor. 

Interesting thread this.

I also thought what Matt had to say about the psychology surrounding the club was interesting, and he does have a point. Conversely, asking people who have endured decades of mediocrity or worse to be patient and supportive is a difficult "sell".  My belief is that some of you are still consistently underestimating the rest of the sides in this Division and aren't yet able to fix your place within it. I said in August that this was a brute of a Division, forecast you would finish about 15th and thought I was being somewhat over-optimistic even with that. Thirteen games in I think the dogfight at the bottom is already such that I think you are one of a number of clubs for whom 20th will be a relative success.

The League is already sorting itself out. The top five are all on course for 85 points or more ; the bottom third of the Division are all averaging a point a game or less. The gap will get much wider, I think, and unless you are going to have a decent run of form then I think you have to be in the top half of the mini-League you are currently in come May, and anything else will be a bonus. I think 46 points might just about be enough, but 48-50 would be a lot more comfortable.

With all that in mind, I don't blame Unsworth if he is being both conservative and pragmatic. I know very little about him, and I don't watch you play, but one point that people often overlook is that he doesn't really represent a "new start" -and can't - until he can make material changes to the squad. One thing that does seem to unite you is that they (the squad) are not equipped for the job in terms of both technique and temperament ; if that is true, he probably feels he has to mask those deficiencies with caution and good organisation until he can can get better or more malleable players in. And again, that takes time, and doesn't make for pretty viewing while you are waiting.

Next league game is 22nd, which is 14 days away.  

During these next 14 days, I get a feeling we’ll see at least 2 new faces in, 2+ out either on loan or paid off & fingers crossed 2 or more back from treatment table.

Add to that, 14 days extra training, fitness plus Mick Rathbone’s influence on psychology, confidence conditioning etc.  Confidence is crucial… Mick will be the best signing made this season.

Yes, like the next fan, I want attractive play, wins and promotion.  However based on last three seasons, I’m ecstatic that we’re debt free and a future under an owner who genuinely cares and about the club & board who engage regularly with the fanbase.  Add to that, a coaching team of the calibre we have and a conditioning coach who is well regarded at Premier League & Championship level.  Cherry on top, we’re actually signing players and offering transfer fees plus with DU, the chance to entice quality loanees.

We’re still stuck in the dark but that end of this tunnel is getting lighter by the day.

17 hours ago, Oafc11 said:

Fondop and Maynard was decent today 

16 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Another painful watch was that! Maynard good, Tollit did well I thought (apart from the build up to their penalty), Fondop put in a shift but it usually ends with nothing as he was again isolated 

The rest are a complete shower, can’t tackle, can’t pass, can’t put together anything going forward. I was looking forward to seeing Rooney make a difference but he was barely in the game

15 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s his choice to isolate Fondop. 

It’s his choice to play a defensive line up. (After saying he wants to play to win) 

Formations have nothing to do with player ability, and everything to do with how a manger wants to set up. Even against Wrexham in the first half- we actually created very little. 

The posts above capture my thoughts on yesterday’s game.

Maidenhead was the most non league experience of the season so far. A ramshackle ground with a poor pitch and a small crowd.

Maynard looked like a good National league player. Solid and kept his game simple. He definitely improved us at the back. That apart, only Fondop and Tollit showed any real ambition going forward.

What was very evident to me yesterday was how many of our starting eleven have no confidence in possession. Once again our release of the ball, both in passing and making clearances, was poor - it is simply not good enough and a stark reminder of the lack of quality running throughout the side.

However… what was more of a concern is how Unsworth set us up to play. Playing Fondop on his own up front against a very poor team is unacceptable in my view. Also the way that we had all eleven players back defending corners and free kicks is baffling and can only compound the hesitancy and lack of belief out on the pitch.

The game yesterday was a very poor contest. The match stats make very grim reading:

Goal attempts - 4 with 2 on target.

Corners - 2

Maidenhead the same apart from having one more corner…

The referee was extremely poor and slow in everything he did which didn’t help with the speed of the game - harsh penalty too.

I have seen many poor displays already this season - this was right up there with the worst of them. 

Poor viewing from a supporter's perspective however there were some plus points:

Defence looked relatively strong in the main - Maynard a big plus for me today, Carragher once again showed bags of spirit and heart 

Fondop led the line very well, put in a great shift and caused them problems. Maybe should have done better with his free header at 1-0 but good save to be fair  

The team overall played with spirit (in my opinion), it was a poor performance overall but there were some battling qualities displayed to deal with a direct team.  

I have watched Latics for 52 years and never booed them off once, I understand the concerns and why people might choose to register their dissatisfaction but it's not for me. I choose to walk out in silence at the end (as many did yesterday) but that doesn't mean I am right or wrong to make that choice. 

The club is undergoing a massive transformation over the next several years at least to try and bring a club fit for the town of Oldham and fit for the 21st century. Rome wasn't built overnight. The manager and the coaching staff are new in position and have got to put their stamp on the playing squad. The team isn't really showing sufficient quality at the moment to give assurance that Latics won't be in a relegation battle again but at this stage, I feel that the new manager and his staff need some patience and a lot of time to enable them to make the relevant improvements for us to start moving forward on the pitch as a club.  For the first time in maybe 30 years, we have got a structured coaching team in place, let them do their jobs and we will start seeing more regular improvement on the pitch which will give us heart for the future.        

28 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Interesting thread this.

I also thought what Matt had to say about the psychology surrounding the club was interesting, and he does have a point. Conversely, asking people who have endured decades of mediocrity or worse to be patient and supportive is a difficult "sell".  My belief is that some of you are still consistently underestimating the rest of the sides in this Division and aren't yet able to fix your place within it. I said in August that this was a brute of a Division, forecast you would finish about 15th and thought I was being somewhat over-optimistic even with that. Thirteen games in I think the dogfight at the bottom is already such that I think you are one of a number of clubs for whom 20th will be a relative success.

The League is already sorting itself out. The top five are all on course for 85 points or more ; the bottom third of the Division are all averaging a point a game or less. The gap will get much wider, I think, and unless you are going to have a decent run of form then I think you have to be in the top half of the mini-League you are currently in come May, and anything else will be a bonus. I think 46 points might just about be enough, but 48-50 would be a lot more comfortable.

With all that in mind, I don't blame Unsworth if he is being both conservative and pragmatic. I know very little about him, and I don't watch you play, but one point that people often overlook is that he doesn't really represent a "new start" -and can't - until he can make material changes to the squad. One thing that does seem to unite you is that they (the squad) are not equipped for the job in terms of both technique and temperament ; if that is true, he probably feels he has to mask those deficiencies with caution and good organisation until he can can get better or more malleable players in. And again, that takes time, and doesn't make for pretty viewing while you are waiting.

If he's going down the conservative and pragmatic route after four games we really are fucked, sorry but I've just about had enough the last decade of going down the happy with a point mindset, we played fucking Maidenhead not Marseille, people forget he's been watching us without pressure for weeks, he's come in and what does he decide to do - adopt the tactics of Shezzasouraus, like I said yesterday he's talked shite so far, you can talk the talk as much as you want, he said himself it's a good group of players who just need direction well the only direction I see us going is down because these lot aren't listening to him, he's brought in one unfit player who looks weeks away from being ready (great example) and wants to tell us we'd of lost that game yesterday a few weeks ago, no we wouldn't we drew at Torquay and York playing in the exact same way, big two weeks coming up now I'm not arsed at all about Chester next week all the focus should be on Yeovil at home the following week as I don't see getting through to the 1st round proper of the FA Cup as some sort of achievement, 2 points from 12 isn't the start I expected and things need to improve and sharpish as we are now picking up less points than we did under Shez.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Sorry??

He's been a youth team coach for ten years, but never been in a managers job (I know he's apparently had offers but turned them down "for the right club"...), but it seems strange that he hasn't made the jump up yet.

Royle was given time - but that's not the way football works anymore.  Royle also stagnated at a reasonable level before the golden years.  We need to be getting out of this league (upwards!) as soon as possible.

LJ got the job through competitive interview - something I wish we'd done this time around.

Shez had a go as care-taker first - did well and deservedly got the job full-time.

Dowie hadn't long finished playing and did alright as QPR caretaker manager if I remember rightly and it was considered a bit of a coup (although I'm sure Chis Moore's money helped..) when we got him.

Unsworth has inherited a piss-poor squad and has injuries, but it has been disappointing that he's basically just done what Shez would've done, when we got rid of Shez because it clearly wasn't working.  Playing one up front is a particular head-scratcher for me (even though Luamba is apparently "shit", etc).

I know it's harsh to criticise him early on and I understand your resolute defence of him, but I think it's OK to ask a couple of questions even this early on.  We have faith but, as I say, it's blind faith.

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

However… what was more of a concern is how Unsworth set us up to play. Playing Fondop on his own up front against a very poor team is unacceptable in my view. Also the way that we had all eleven players back defending corners and free kicks is baffling and can only compound the hesitancy and lack of belief out on the pitch.

Spot on BD. 

What is it reinforcing to the players- You’re not good to win at the minute so just don’t lose. Something he has said himself in his last two post match presser’s. 

It would seem that Unsy thinks we have to get the hard to beat side of things sorted first- then the football will come. I can understand that to an extent, but if he thinks fans will keep turning up watching very defensive resilient football for the rest of this season or more- because it will eventually pay off, then he’s very naive. 

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's been a youth team coach for ten years, but never been in a managers job (I know he's apparently had offers but turned them down "for the right club"...), but it seems strange that he hasn't made the jump up yet.

Royle was given time - but that's not the way football works anymore.  Royle also stagnated at a reasonable level before the golden years.  We need to be getting out of this league (upwards!) as soon as possible.

LJ got the job through competitive interview - something I wish we'd done this time around.

Shez had a go as care-taker first - did well and deservedly got the job full-time.

Dowie hadn't long finished playing and did alright as QPR caretaker manager if I remember rightly and it was considered a bit of a coup (although I'm sure Chis Moore's money helped..) when we got him.

Unsworth has inherited a piss-poor squad and has injuries, but it has been disappointing that he's basically just done what Shez would've done, when we got rid of Shez because it clearly wasn't working.  Playing one up front is a particular head-scratcher for me (even though Luamba is apparently "shit", etc).

I know it's harsh to criticise him early on and I understand your resolute defence of him, but I think it's OK to ask a couple of questions even this early on.  We have faith but, as I say, it's blind faith.

I was answering the point that the previous poster was saying he needed to "spend a year or 2" with a youth team.

I was also saying no one in the world would have a job had they not once been given an opportunity as a novice, I knew fuck all about Health and Safety or construction 5 years ago, I'm now quite proficient.

Strange he never stepped up before? Thousands of coaches stay at youth level - Tony P is one, why has Unsworth chosen now? Probably sees it as a free hit in all honesty.

I'm not sure LJ was a 'competitive interview" you're being sucked into the Corney propaganda machine there, LJ was hired because he was cheap as was the other "competitive interview" winner Darren Kelly.

I am not resolutely defending him, I am trying to see the bigger picture and trying to reserve judgement until 10 injured players are back, he's had chance to bring a couple in and not panic in fucking October.

*oh an Luamba is shit, we may still be in league 2 if he wasn't after his pathetic attempt against Salford and I've seen nothing since to suggest he won't be at Chorley soon 

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If he's going down the conservative and pragmatic route after four games we really are fucked, sorry but I've just about had enough the last decade of going down the happy with a point mindset, we played fucking Maidenhead not Marseille, people forget he's been watching us without pressure for weeks, he's come in and what does he decide to do - adopt the tactics of Shezzasouraus, like I said yesterday he's talked shite so far, you can talk the talk as much as you want, he said himself it's a good group of players who just need direction well the only direction I see us going is down because these lot aren't listening to him, he's brought in one unfit player who looks weeks away from being ready (great example) and wants to tell us we'd of lost that game yesterday a few weeks ago, no we wouldn't we drew at Torquay and York playing in the exact same way, big two weeks coming up now I'm not arsed at all about Chester next week all the focus should be on Yeovil at home the following week as I don't see getting through to the 1st round proper of the FA Cup as some sort of achievement, 2 points from 12 isn't the start I expected and things need to improve and sharpish as we are now picking up less points than we did under Shez.

I was puzzled by Unsworths comment dog we lose that 2 weeks ago. I’m not entirely sure we do. We played far better at Torquay than that yesterday. 

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I was puzzled by Unsworths comment dog we lose that 2 weeks ago. I’m not entirely sure we do. We played far better at Torquay than that yesterday. 

We did have our best midfielder and two forwards playing that day to be fair...

17 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You have seen Gardner and Porter's displays this season haven't you...?

It makes you wonder, due to the circumstances at the club at the time, whether they even had medicals.

If not, then Porter with being almost 39 and Gardner having a poor fitness record and being offered 2 years, they probably couldn’t sign quick enough!!

If the club has ideas of paying one or two up then I should imagine these two would be pretty high up on that list!!

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It makes you wonder, due to the circumstances at the club at the time, whether they even had medicals.

If not, then Porter with being almost 39 and Gardner having a poor fitness record and being offered 2 years, they probably couldn’t sign quick enough!!

If the club has ideas of paying one or two up then I should imagine these two would be pretty high up on that list!!

If that were feasible I’d consider it, because nobody currently in that treatment room is going to improve is much. 
That’s the depressing thing. No matter who’s been in the side for the last 13 games or whatever it is now we’ve still been shite 

Archived