MATCH: vs Yeovil Town (H) 22/10/22

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Well @b0ndl1neyour fear was not realised but, you were right about it not being pretty…

@True Tic🙄

Just glad Yeovil were so bad!

Chester won 4-0, I can see them as an outside chance for the playoffs in conference north so maybe the result on Tuesday wasn’t too bad in hindsight 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Wasn't the best, but that is the monkey off Unsworths back, hopefully we can put a little run together and get a few points on the board. A little bit of confidence might do some of our players the world of good. 

Think he will be mightily relieved to get a win under his belt, pretty or not and how many times have we said the points not the performance are paramount, albeit both would be perfect. Fondop appears to be getting on his game and a clean sheet much needed.

A run of good results would be nice, a tough game at Altrincham coming up and they are currently two nil up at Torquay, for what that's worth. Bring on Tuesday.

Fondop was good again today apart from overdoing the step overs out on the wing again.

New lad looks as if he knows where the goal is.

Couto looks lost.

Tollitt needs to stop trying to pass to a teammate and just run with the ball and it was almost comical when he bollocked the new lad for not passing after he'd put a 20 yarder a foot wide ( it's what forwards do !!)

Sat too deep again at the start of the second half but Yeovil were so poor they couldn't take advantage of it.

Almost all our outfield players first instinct is to turn towards their own goal so Carty's positivity was a welcome change.

Hope we kick on from this. 👍

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Fondop was good again today apart from overdoing the step overs out on the wing again.

Couto looks lost.

Tollitt needs to stop trying to pass to a teammate and just run with the ball and it was almost comical when he bollocked the new lad for not passing after he'd put a 20 yarder a foot wide ( it's what forwards do !!)

Sat too deep again at the start of the second half but Yeovil were so poor they couldn't take advantage of it.

Almost all our outfield players first instinct is to turn towards their own goal so Carty's positivity was a welcome change.

Plenty on Twatter saying Couto had a good game and some favourable comments re: the new boy's cameo appearance.

Win's a win and all that jazz, but it was tough to stay engaged in it. 

Two goals and Norman's wondersave the only thing of note that really happened in the match. Yeovil had lots of possession. The game opened up slightly (and our goal came!!) after the second striker came on. 

Highlight was definitely Chaddy the Owl getting the ball through the AC Tyre at half-time..

Wasn't entertaining, but maybe chiselling out results like this is how you get on in this division? 

38 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Wasn't the best, but that is the monkey off Unsworths back, hopefully we can put a little run together and get a few points on the board. A little bit of confidence might do some of our players the world of good. 

This. It’s amazing how the confidence from a good run can transform very average players into much better ones. If we can only put some wins together…….

Tough to watch that, had the feel of a pre-season game, but a win is a win. I can’t think of a worse side to grace the turf at BP in my 40+ years of watching Latics. We’ll need to be better than that on Tuesday that’s for sure. Enjoy the win and the Saturday evening. 

26 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Couto looks lost.

I thought Couto played OK when he came on, his work rate couldn't be faulted. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Got a great left peg. Offered more down the left. I can't get in board with us not pressing teams we play. The 5 at the back leaves 5 watching 2 so they have men over. Too easy to pass it round us

27 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Plenty on Twatter saying Couto had a good game and some favourable comments re: the new boy's cameo appearance.

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

He wasn't too bad in the first half and put a couple of crosses in but second half looked lost to me. Didn't get near enough to their wing back, didn't put a decent cross in, looked scared of going forward and hit a few panicked clearances.

I'd much sooner Vaughn come on before him.

11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He wasn't too bad in the first half and put a couple of crosses in but second half looked lost to me. Didn't get near enough to their wing back, didn't put a decent cross in, looked scared of going forward and hit a few panicked clearances.

I'd much sooner Vaughn come on before him.

But Vaughan couldn't have played the role Couto did, I understand that playing 4-4-2 would have given Vaughan a position in a 5-3-2/5-3-1-1 Vaughan wouldn't have worked. I would be happy for Unsworth to ditch the 5 but at the moment it isn't happening. 

37 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Win's a win and all that jazz, but it was tough to stay engaged in it. 

Two goals and Norman's wondersave the only thing of note that really happened in the match. Yeovil had lots of possession. The game opened up slightly (and our goal came!!) after the second striker came on. 

Highlight was definitely Chaddy the Owl getting the ball through the AC Tyre at half-time..

Wasn't entertaining, but maybe chiselling out results like this is how you get on in this division? 

Got to grind out results at this level, hence Unsworth's conservative approach until we get key players fit and/or recruit better. His preferred system has been 4-2-3-1 in the past and I think he will eventually move towards this.

Should be obvious by now, though, that there are no easy games. 

Thought we saw it out well enough against a limited Yeovil side who don't concede many but have limited attacking options other than long ball and set pieces.

PS: Carty looks very promising.

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

But Vaughan couldn't have played the role Couto did, I understand that playing 4-4-2 would have given Vaughan a position in a 5-3-2/5-3-1-1 Vaughan wouldn't have worked. I would be happy for Unsworth to ditch the 5 but at the moment it isn't happening. 

He could have left Angol at wing back and played Threlkeld as a holder, which is basically all Gardner is nowadays

Couto just looks a bit out of it at present which manifested itself when he stopped playing after a handball appeal against him, even though the ref turned it down.

There's definitely a player in Couto. He was out in the cold under Shez for a while after such a promising start.

Bound to affect the confidence a little. Get him playing with a spring in his step and he'll be an asset.

Whilst we're on full backs, I thought Angol was good today considering he's been put for so long.

Clarke, however, I don't think there's a more irritating player to watch. He's soft as shit and doesn't really do anything except play hopeless balls upfield and back off attackers. Definition of going through the motions.

9 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

There's definitely a player in Couto. He was out in the cold under Shez for a while after such a promising start.

Bound to affect the confidence a little. Get him playing with a spring in his step and he'll be an asset.

Whilst we're on full backs, I thought Angol was good today considering he's been put for so long.

Clarke, however, I don't think there's a more irritating player to watch. He's soft as shit and doesn't really do anything except play hopeless balls upfield and back off attackers. Definition of going through the motions.

Clarke has got a lot of shit off people on here recently. 
For me, he looks lost and out of position at wing back. He’s never a wing back in a million years, doesn’t have the pace for starters.

Play him at right back and he’ll be that steady Eddie player again.

2 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

Clarke has got a lot of shit off people on here recently. 
For me, he looks lost and out of position at wing back. He’s never a wing back in a million years, doesn’t have the pace for starters.

Play him at right back and he’ll be that steady Eddie player again.

Steady Eddie again? 
Sorry, but for me he was awful for the majority of last season, and even worse this season. Going through the motions, soft as shit, terrible passer, not good enough, get rid. 

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Steady Eddie again? 
Sorry, but for me he was awful for the majority of last season, and even worse this season. Going through the motions, soft as shit, terrible passer, not good enough, get rid. 

Short memory fella?

He wasn’t awful for the majority of last season at all, that’s horseshit.

1 minute ago, ceskylatic said:

Short memory fella?

He wasn’t awful for the majority of last season at all, that’s horseshit.

Got a good memory fella cheers, and watched 90% of the games, stand by my comment. Relegated out of the FL in the worst defence in our history. Maybe he was top quality in the 10% I missed? 

2 minutes ago, daniel said:

Got a good memory fella cheers, and watched 90% of the games, stand by my comment. Relegated out of the FL in the worst defence in our history. Maybe he was top quality in the 10% I missed? 

Of course he’s not top quality. Saying he was awful for the majority of last season though is just made up shit.

Archived