MATCH: vs Yeovil Town (H) 22/10/22

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Fondop was good again today apart from overdoing the step overs out on the wing again.

New lad looks as if he knows where the goal is.

Couto looks lost.

Really?

I thought Couto did ok. If you think he looked lost Christ knows what you thought of Gardners performance. Awful… again. Hugely overrated. 

Clarke is a hider. He's happy to turn up, not contribute, get stuck in or take any risks.

There's footballers out there who would love an opportunity to play professional football - it really annoys me seeing players with his attitude and approach to the game.

I’m sticking with the positives here:

We needed to win - we won.

Clean sheets are a plus - we got one.

I thought Threlkeld played extremely well; broke up play, nicked in for interceptions and did the simple stuff well.  Cooper, who I haven’t rated at all this season, did OK when he came on.  DIdn’t think we missed Gardner particularly when he went off.

I missed the Chester game so haven’t seen Maynard before but I was impressed - bar a slip which could have cost us he marshalled the defence well.  Great save from Norman towards the end.  Angol an improvement on Roberts, and coped sufficiently when he moved inside.  Couto got into some great positions first half, at which point I thought we were playing a 4 4 2 / 4 2 3 1 with Couto pushed further forward; second half he, and the team, backed off and we looked more 5 3 2.  Crucially, we got the second goal.

Fondop was unplayable, I thought he dominated every defender he came up against.  Good cameo from the Bolton lad too.

Well chuffed with the win.

Why did we purposely slow everything down second half early on, thought that was a bit weird killing our own momentum. 

On today you've got to say Unsworth will do all he can to get a defensive player on before an attacking minded one, Couto for Gardner left us with Sheron and Threlkeld sat in front of a back five again and despite us not having one wing back at the club Unsworth isn't going to be shifted on this one I'm afraid, if Gardner goes off and you're 1-0 up nobody in that stadium thinks Couto is the call other than Unsworth and that is a massive worry for me. That game was made for Vaughan today, poor team who we should have exploited and picked apart.

Grateful for the win but they should of equalised if they had an ounce of ability, quite liked the look of the right wing back they have on loan from Bristol City Pearson who looked like he might go on to better things.

13 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Got to grind out results at this level, hence Unsworth's conservative approach until we get key players fit and/or recruit better. His preferred system has been 4-2-3-1 in the past and I think he will eventually move towards this.

PS: Carty looks very promising.

The formation he's been persisting with is so boring to watch.  It was slightly more entertaining to watch when the second striker came on yesterday - fair play to him for doing that at 1-0 as he probably would have been easy to just sit on the lead like he has been doing. As I say, playing two up front should be the way we eventually play.

Widely seen Yeovil described as "the worst side ever to come to Boundary Park" but they still probably had about 90% possession in the first-half. 

Also the gate - 6,300?  Are we still counting season ticket holders that don't turn up?  I'd have said there was 5k max there yesterday...

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The formation he's been persisting with is so boring to watch.  It was slightly more entertaining to watch when the second striker came on yesterday - fair play to him for doing that at 1-0 as he probably would have been easy to just sit on the lead like he has been doing. As I say, playing two up front should be the way we eventually play.

Widely seen Yeovil described as "the worst side ever to come to Boundary Park" but they still probably had about 90% possession in the first-half. 

Also the gate - 6,300?  Are we still counting season ticket holders that don't turn up?  I'd have said there was 5k max there yesterday...

It does look like st holders are counted, don't think you were far off with 5k.

14 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Really?

I thought Couto did ok. If you think he looked lost Christ knows what you thought of Gardners performance. Awful… again. Hugely overrated. 

He did OK first half but second didn't defend well and most of their threat came down our left.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh on him but he's not progressed at all, is pretty lightweight, blows up after an hour and barely gets a tackle in.

He can play but needs to toughen (and train) up to get anywhere near a starting spot.

Maybe 2nd team appearances will bring him on a bit.

As for Gardner he's obviously not fit but doesn't play the ball forward enough to warrant carrying him.

He's basically playing as another holding midfielder due to his lack of mobility.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Yeah think we are counting ST holders who don’t turn up. We are probably counting fans with complimentary tickets who don’t turn up as well.

TBH a lot of clubs have been doing that for a while, so I don’t mind. If people are really that interested then an FOI to the club or GMP will probably get you the actual attendance. I know the Evening News / BBC have done that before.

Said after the Chester win on pens that it was important to use that as a springboard; so grreat that we got the win, although grateful we were playing Yeovil and not an actual football team. Let's be brutally honest; if Fondop gets injured and is out for any length of time, we are relegation candidates on our performances lately.

I keep seeing the term “relegation candidates”. Why? If we are then at least half the league must be too. 

We aren’t in the relegation places and haven’t been all season and we’re unbeaten in 5 despite generally playing shite and having half our first team out injured. 

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I keep seeing the term “relegation candidates”. Why? If we are then at least half the league must be too. 

We aren’t in the relegation places and haven’t been all season and we’re unbeaten in 5 despite generally playing shite and having half our first team out injured. 

My point was clearly referring to the importance of Fondop presently, NZ. Without his recent form/goals, we'd now be out of the FA cup, at our first hurdle, to the mighty Chester and we'd be on 14 points in the league. That's relegation candidates. Matters not that there might be a few other candidates too; you can't argue against the fact we would be candidates. Imagine Fondop out for the next 6 games. Too scary to think about to be honest.

3 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I saw enough of the lad from Bolton to think he should be partnering Fondop. If we are going to persist with this formation it at least allows to play 2 up top. That leaves the anonymous Rooney to be dropped or failing that Tollitt.

Doubt he will drop Rooney with Gardner likely out for some time and he won't leave out Tollitt, so my guess it will be one up front again.

When he took over their were a number of problems with the side. He has seemingly prioritised the defence so we are a harder team to play against now which is starting to show in a slight upturn in results.

A test will come when we face a team who just sits in against us, gets men behind the ball and scores first against us. Because I'm not sure we are capable of breaking down a stubborn defense because that will require us to commit men forwards. As wiseowl rightly points out how we play currently is heavily relying on Fondop and an injury to him could hurt us.

That said its baby steps but they are in the right direction so we are seeing some progress and wins breed confidence.

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Yeah think we are counting ST holders who don’t turn up. We are probably counting fans with complimentary tickets who don’t turn up as well.

TBH a lot of clubs have been doing that for a while, so I don’t mind. If people are really that interested then an FOI to the club or GMP will probably get you the actual attendance. I know the Evening News / BBC have done that before.

As a private company Latics don't fall within the scope of the Freedom of Information Act so wouldn't have to respond to an FOI request.  GMP would however, assuming they have the information.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

My point was clearly referring to the importance of Fondop presently, NZ. Without his recent form/goals, we'd now be out of the FA cup, at our first hurdle, to the mighty Chester and we'd be on 14 points in the league. That's relegation candidates. Matters not that there might be a few other candidates too; you can't argue against the fact we would be candidates. Imagine Fondop out for the next 6 games. Too scary to think about to be honest.

All negative if, buts and maybes

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

I saw enough of the lad from Bolton to think he should be partnering Fondop. If we are going to persist with this formation it at least allows to play 2 up top. That leaves the anonymous Rooney to be dropped or failing that Tollitt.

If its a choice between Tollit and Rooney as to who to drop it should be a no brainer. Tollit has created and scored goals Rooney hasn't.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

You could probably say the same about most teams and their top goal scorers. 

It wasn’t just in reply to you, plenty have been using that phrase. 

Archived